1 ... 4 5 6 7 8
Burrito Enthusiast
Burrito Enthusiast Reader
4/1/14 12:29 a.m.

I was at a crossroads; I either needed to wait until the swap meet this weekend in hopes that I would find something appropriately cool/wide/not-small or buy the wheels (well, copies) that I've wanted for ages.

It really wasn't that hard of a decision, it turns out.

Gotta decide on tires next. 195/45-15 T1Rs are really cheap right now. Like, $55 a pop, cheap. That seems like a screaming deal.

Burrito Enthusiast
4/5/14 2:19 a.m.

I took a little trip out to Vancouver Lake a few days ago and snapped a quick pic before the sun disappeared.

The new wheels showed up today, and I skipped out of work early to give them a test fit. The offset is a little low and they poke a little more that I was hoping, but I knew it was going to be close. I have a plan to fit them under the fenders, and it doesn't involve 165mm tires or 34* of negative camberz, yo. It'll be a month or two before I get to that, though.

Having had skipped out of work early, I had a few more minutes before SWMBO got home from work. So I took the time to finally swap out the ancient transmission mounts. The threads on the bottom of the new mount were a finer pitch. After turning the garage upside down looking for a nut of the correct pitch and diameter, and failing, I ran out to get a new nut and some appropriately low ABV garage beers. And spray paint, because there's always something that needs painting on a Scirocco.

With that conquered I moved to the front motor mount.

As with most things, it wasn't as simply bolting the new parts on. I'm not sure why there's a difference in the two mounts, but I scrounged around for some large plate washers until I came up with something that would work. Thank you Fiat 850 transmission mounts for saving the day. There's nothing quite like bolting freshly refinished parts on to a rusty old car with some crusty old washers.

Stay tuned for tomorrow's installment when I tackle the other two motor mounts and start back in on the floors.

Burrito Enthusiast
4/9/14 10:57 p.m.

Did you know you can get four Toyo T1Rs in 195/45-15 shipped to your door for $244 clams. Because I just did that.

I also have some pretty big news, but I'm until I have some pictures to show off before I let you interneters in on the secret.

Nashco
Nashco UberDork
4/10/14 1:09 a.m.

I'm tempted to get those same tires, but without a "spare" set of wheels to put them on it seemed frivolous since they'd likely collect dust. What size wheels are you mounting them up on?

Bryce

Burrito Enthusiast
4/10/14 1:32 a.m.

They're going on the 15x7 VTOs that I got last week.

beans
beans Dork
4/10/14 6:59 a.m.
Burrito Enthusiast wrote: Did you know you can get four Toyo T1Rs in 195/45-15 shipped to your door for $244 clams. Because I just did that. I also have some pretty big news, but I'm until I have some pictures to show off before I let you interneters in on the secret.

Im about to get all over the t1r deal for $328 shipped in a 195/55/16.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 Dork
4/10/14 10:04 a.m.

Where are you getting them that cheap?

beans
beans Dork
4/10/14 11:33 a.m.

Tread depot, i believe. Tirerack just added them to their catalog, too.

jimbbski
jimbbski HalfDork
4/10/14 11:49 a.m.

You are doing a good job of upgrading you car why don't you do the same by upgrading you chose of beer! LOL!

Really P & BR!

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/10/14 12:11 p.m.

In reply to Burrito Enthusiast:

Yes, where? My new miata needs new summer wheels and tires.

Burrito Enthusiast
4/10/14 2:02 p.m.

I got them from TireCrawler, which is probably as shady as it sounds. FWIW, I couldn't find any bad reviews online, or anything that said they are scammy. They are offering free shipping on Toyos right now, so I figured what the heck, I'll give them a shot. Hopefully they aren't ancient items, waiting to celebrate their 3rd birthday.

In reply to jimbbski:

If I'm going to be in the garage all afternoon I find it's a good idea to stay away from the good stuff. The last thing I need to is to treat, oh say, 10 Barrel's Project Failed (which I'm hot on right now) as a session ale at 6.7%ABV in the sun/ while doing physical labor. Thus the mostly water Pabst & Blue Ribbon.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/10/14 2:25 p.m.

I tend to wait on drinking until I'm done working in the garage. To each their own :)

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/10/14 3:05 p.m.

Y'know, Guinness is even lower ABV than PBR, and much tastier (though admittedly not ideal for when it's 80). I tend to mostly beer-after-doing-stuff, but I don't have Burrito Enthusiast's shop chops.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/10/14 3:53 p.m.

I have some homebrew low ABV blackberry steam bear I can hook you up with...great for wrenching!

Burrito Enthusiast
4/10/14 6:31 p.m.

I'll have to take you up on that, BG. That sounds pretty refreshing.

I used to be a beer-after-wrenching kinda guy, but since I've only been getting 2-3 days off a month since October, I've had to take up, umm, multi-tasking.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/10/14 6:53 p.m.

Nothing wrong with that!

Burrito Enthusiast
4/27/14 12:25 a.m.

My Fiance and I moved from our crappy rental house with it's too small, squirrel infested garage into an even smaller, crappier apartment about 1.5 miles down the road. Our rent went from ~$1200 to sub-$600. I pled my case for renting a shop, and somehow I got my way...

So now I have a lovely 12x30 space (with full length loft) that I can make as much noise as I want, at any hour, and we still pay less than we did at the last house. I'm super, super stoked. And it's just under 3 blocks away from the new apartment. Plus, it has internet, compressed air, and cable TV, if you're into that sort of thing.

Unfortunately, we are still kinda in the middle of the move, so I haven't been able to put in too much time down here yet. But the Scirocco is currently without it's drivers floorpan (and the driver's outer rocker too, apparently...).

Pictures are coming, but the sync cable for my POS point and shoot camera is lost in a box somewhere.

beans
beans Dork
4/27/14 10:44 p.m.

Let gf keep apartment, live in loft/garage.

Burrito Enthusiast
5/28/14 2:46 p.m.

So, now that I have a dedicated workspace and can make all sorts of racket, it's time to fix the floors.

All nestled in. Started cutting out the rot to see how far forward I would have to go. The bottom section where the firewall meets the floor is solid, just some surface rust with no pinholes. Good news!

So out comes some rotty W. German steel.

The support beam underneath is solid, too! Just a wee bit crusty...

All the rot is out (of the floor...)!

Burrito Enthusiast
5/28/14 3:00 p.m.

So then I started offering up some fresh 22ga.

Used the HF jack handle; pro-move, not for novices...

Burnificated.

Just a few tek screws to hold it in and eliminate any gaps.

And plug welded. I ended up just running a bead where the floor meets the outer rocker. No photo of that, apparently.

For the center section, I cut a piece of 16ga and plug welded it in.

Then I offered up some seam sealer, top and bottom.

Then I took care of the few man-made holes in the rear section.

...and then the camera dies...

Burrito Enthusiast
5/28/14 3:05 p.m.

So, that's where the photos end for now. I've struck a deal with Burrito Enthusiette in regards to her Nikon D40. Expect this thread to get much prettier and a whole lot less fuzzy.

bgkast
5/28/14 3:09 p.m.

Looks good! Any concerns about removing the ribs (for her pleasure)?

Burrito Enthusiast
5/28/14 3:22 p.m.

I was at first, but there was no oil canning, even when it was plain steel. Now that it's (spoiler) covered in a fine layer of dynamat and carpet, you can't even tell. I figure it's just a floor, what's there now has to be stronger than the swiss cheese I replaced.

If you can tell that the floors have been replaced without looking underneath the car, you're some sort of floor Jedi. And if you're laying on the ground and giving me lip about my floor, I'll surely just pop you in the ribs with my boot.

I'm hoping to keep the car through is Half-million mile mark, so I'm not too terribly concerned with resale value of a non-stock floor. If that's even a thing.

A bead roller is on the short list of tools to buy, but it's too late for this project, obviously.

bgkast
5/28/14 4:11 p.m.

Cool, no oil canning, no problem!

Burrito Enthusiast
Burrito Enthusiast HalfDork
10/10/14 9:02 p.m.

I've been keeping busy on the car for most of the summer and I have a few updates that I'll write out once I get a chance. In the meantime, here's the cars freshened up mug. E30 ellipsoids with some relayed drop-in HIDs and cleaned up corner markers. It's like I mounted a small Sun to the front of the car; absolutely awesome.

1 ... 4 5 6 7 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QfDUiq5xF1rnKhZYIldSEPaNqCO0A0CjQZ4KxMYhSVNBtmbPjl3Uq8sGf7Qhi274