1 ... 5 6 7 8
Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 SuperDork
10/10/14 10:05 p.m.

Please give headlight details. Im finally close to mounting my front clip with the retrofit ellipsoids.

mightymike
mightymike Reader
10/11/14 8:07 a.m.

I have really enjoyed watching your progress. Thanks for taking the time to post your progress. Keep up the good work!

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/29/14 5:21 p.m.

Wait, are Mr Estrotica, and Burrito Enthusiast one and the same???

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 SuperDork
11/29/14 5:27 p.m.

I think so. Writing style and picturestyles the same.

Burrito Enthusiast
Burrito Enthusiast HalfDork
11/29/14 6:59 p.m.

Indeed. One and the same.

The Scirocco is bedded down for the winter. Nothing to report, bad or otherwise.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 SuperDork
11/29/14 7:21 p.m.

Can you do a writeup on the hid retrofit you did? Looking at that formy swap.

VWguyBruce
VWguyBruce HalfDork
11/29/14 7:45 p.m.

Duster, Here's a thread discussing Xenon inserts for the E30 ellipsoids. Similar to what you got if I remember right.

Dang it I forgot the link

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 SuperDork
11/29/14 8:01 p.m.

No link. But I got the ellipsoids from a late 80's 5 series.

Looking for a high signal to noise ratio, and burrito has that in my book.

Would love to read the link though.

Burrito Enthusiast
11/29/14 8:28 p.m.

What information are you looking for specifically?

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 SuperDork
11/29/14 8:31 p.m.

What parts you used, what you did to the housings, how the cutoffs are for oncoming, general impressions of tbe swap, before/after comparo of output

VWguyBruce
VWguyBruce HalfDork
11/29/14 8:48 p.m.

Sorry about that.

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?1309744-e30-HID-kit-Which-kit

Burrito Enthusiast
11/29/14 9:49 p.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: What parts you used, what you did to the housings, how the cutoffs are for oncoming, general impressions of tbe swap, before/after comparo of output

I'll gather some pictures and information next time I've got some down time at the shop.

A before/after comparo probably isn't in the cards, though, as I don't have any before shots to share.

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/1/14 7:10 p.m.
wheelsmithy wrote: Wait, are Mr Estrotica, and Burrito Enthusiast one and the same???

I Love both you guys!

Ethnic Food-Wrap Aficionado
Ethnic Food-Wrap Aficionado HalfDork
2/10/15 11:35 p.m.

A little update and some foreshadowing.

I scabbed the used heater core and HVAC box back into the car about a month ago and have been driving the car everyday without any issues. The timing belt tensioner has started to make noise, so I'll be doing that, the belt, and the waterpump soon. Other than that everything is smiles.

The car needs rocker panels pretty badly. I was fooled into thinking they were solid by some cleverly placed bondo. Lots and lots of cleverly placed bondo. New rockers cost around $200 a side from Klokkerholm, plus shipping from Germany. The Fiat Coupe could really use a set of 13" Gottis, too...

So, in two weeks time I will be driving this back from Eugene because why not? Sawzall and angle grinder action shots to follow.

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 SuperDork
2/10/15 11:44 p.m.

Hmmm... I thought it was on Rabbits that multiplied, not Sciroccos....

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Dork
2/11/15 1:01 p.m.

Man your car is sweet. I just love those gold wheels with the old-school brown color. Glad you found a donor car too!

jgrewe
jgrewe Reader
2/11/15 6:01 p.m.

I was digging through this while waiting in the car line at my kid's school. Brought back a lot of memories of my VW days. I've had a few Scirocco's pass through the collection along with various Rabbits, Golfs, Jettas and air cooled (real) Beetles.

I remember the brake line being only half the problem on the floor rust. The other part was the antenna cable entering the passenger compartment right above the fuse box. Perfect design because the water that came in dripped through the fuse box on the way to the floor.

If you are interested I just found a box during my shop move that has an entire 16V brake set up. Its probably been floating around for 10 years waiting for me to find an old veewee.

beans
beans Dork
2/11/15 10:46 p.m.

Which is the older one and which is the new one(VW)? Not sure which front end I like better. Kinda leaning towards the wraparound turn signals.

2/12/15 12:41 a.m.

In reply to beans:

My daily driver (the brown one) is an early car. They ran from '75 through '77. They are much more sought after than the later, '78 to '81, plastic bumpered cars.

2/19/15 1:04 p.m.

Well, it turns out the passenger side rocker on the donor Scirocco is pretty well crushed. I might still end up dragging that car home, but not as a donor. I sent out a few emails and, long story short, VWHeritage in the UK is shipping me two Klokkerholm branded rocker panels. The quality on these are supposed to be second to only the (very much NLA) OEM panels; we will see. I'm not sure why I thought they were so expensive, but I feel like $225 shipped to my door from the other side of the planet is a fair deal (plus I had some coin in the seldom-used Paypal account so it didn't really sting). So those are on the way, but they're probably riding the slow-boat over, which is very much an non-issue at this point since I am balls deep in Fiat right now.

I have a few other things in the pipeline that are exciting, but I'll save that news until I know that it will actually happen.

4/20/15 11:32 p.m.

In an odd turn of events, I actually had to repair something on the car. It took about 2 weeks for the inner tie rod to go from "yeah, that's got some slop in it" to "holy berkeley, this thing is going to come apart".

Just about to crest 317,000 miles. So that's about 5k (nearly) trouble free miles behind the wheel for me. 500 is really, really far off...

5/13/15 10:01 p.m.

Well, the battery discharge light was flashing at me off and on for the last week or two, but it finally came on solid on Monday. At least it gave me good warning that it was going to fail. I cleaned up all the connections and swapped in a known good voltage regulator, but she still doesn't want to charge.

So, I pulled the alternator off and took it to my friendly neighborhood parts shop (Bartosh Imports). The super awesome parts counter guy pulled out a Bosch Alternator bible from 1992 and gave it his best go. The only 90 amp tapered-housing Bosch alternator with that mounting scheme is a, you guess it, Audi 4000 diesel... NLA for long enough for the part number to no longer exist.

Awesome.

In other news, my buddy Ruben just parted out an 80 Scirocco and was more than happy to provide me with a passenger side inner fender cut so I can fix the ancient crash damage on my car.

All of that, just for this, which I have to modify since it's from a later car.

Thanks, Ruben.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/13/15 11:32 p.m.

I had some old bunny alternators a while back. Let me see if I can find them and maybe they'll be useful for ya.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi UltraDork
5/14/15 5:32 a.m.

I have a box of rabbit alternators also, what PN did you come up with?

Burrito
Burrito HalfDork
5/14/15 12:33 p.m.

I believe it was a Bosch AL24X. I appreciate both of you looking.

1 ... 5 6 7 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kS02e0Aoi8YC6AHn6oMdYueWqcPQKTdvy6ei9rF71A1ZJvLFKVTvngTBTYYZdEUQ