Smirnus
Smirnus New Reader
4/7/18 2:44 p.m.

So you swapped motors already?

midniteson
midniteson Reader
4/7/18 9:13 p.m.

In reply to Smirnus :

No, still using the 3ac, i am in a holding pattern. i have a line on a running 4ag motor... 

I picked up the adapter plate for a Webber. will probably swap one on first. maybe cam the 3ac, both parts with swap over to a 4ac. will probably go 4ac while with a 4ag waiting in the wings a few years down the road. 

Right now the car is running well and ready for camping season. 

Took it on a "Test Run" with my daughter today. 

The look on the guy with a lifted Wranglers face, when you rally past him through a mud puddle...

Priceless

midniteson
midniteson Reader
4/7/18 10:44 p.m.

Glamour Shots!

midniteson
midniteson Reader
4/23/18 12:33 a.m.

Found about an All station wagon show at Dirt fish Rally school in Snoqualmie WA on June 23. 

It is called "PNW Wagonfest". I will definitely be attending. 

Got to get those Supra seats installed, install my air shocks, and give it a good detail. 

If your in the PNW and have a wagon, any kind of wagon come out. i bet there is gonna be 

some cool crazy rigs. I am excited. not too many car show venues for a 4WD wagon 

Link

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/pnw-wagonfest-tickets-44585625807

midniteson
midniteson Reader
5/25/18 11:09 p.m.

Turns out the Idaho Gambler 500 is the same weekend as wagonfest. so Gambler wins.

My friend with a truck and trailer bowed out, instead of quitting had a great bad idea.

Drive from Central Washington to The Idaho Gambler 500!

From Yakima Wa to Boise is 354 miles. then 500 miles off road with the Gambler so 1200 miles round trip.

This will be the Cars third Gambler but first for me.  

We'll see if i make it. 

midniteson
midniteson Reader
5/25/18 11:18 p.m.

I wont be running Alone. My friendthat lives in Boise just finished lifting his... He swapped volvo and pathfinder springs 

Team Tercel4wd will be Gambling Together...

midniteson
midniteson Reader
5/26/18 12:31 p.m.

Found Some footage of the gambler 2017. I had to work.. but not this year!

Awesome drone footage of the Tercel in action at 2:31

https://youtu.be/HfQlzUGOTg8

midniteson
midniteson Reader
6/15/18 11:25 p.m.

I have been working on getting the car more freeway friendly. I will be driving to and from Boise Idaho (700 miles) with almost all on the freeway.

With 65 lil ponies under the hood this thing was so slow it was scary. found a bunch of vaccum leaks, and also came to the conclusion the cat was clogged.

so this happened:

Had a friend weld in a test pipe.

It throws revs way faster and is considerably faster up top.

I got it up to 80 on the freeway on flat ground. it would top out at 65 before.

A lot safer, and a lot less scary. 

Next on the order of business was replacing the terrible steering wheel. I could not get the RX7 wheel to bolt on so i found a 86 celica GT in the boneyard and snagged this its Wheel

Much better!

midniteson
midniteson Reader
6/15/18 11:54 p.m.

The new amount of power really showed how crappy the brakes were. 

Fixed that with a set of Centric Pads and rotors and got the rear drums adjusted.

Most importantly got the E-brake working. a critical component for initiating dirt slides. 

GCrites80s
GCrites80s Reader
6/16/18 9:34 a.m.
midniteson said:

Found about an All station wagon show at Dirt fish Rally school in Snoqualmie WA on June 23. 

It is called "PNW Wagonfest". I will definitely be attending. 

Got to get those Supra seats installed, install my air shocks, and give it a good detail. 

If your in the PNW and have a wagon, any kind of wagon come out. i bet there is gonna be 

some cool crazy rigs. I am excited. not too many car show venues for a 4WD wagon 

Link

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/pnw-wagonfest-tickets-44585625807

It probably won't be long until most car shows are Radwoods rather than Doo Wop festivals

Goodguys goes all the way up to '87 this year for example. No more getting your '80s car locked out just because compression ratios dropped to 7.7:1 for '74.

midniteson
midniteson Reader
6/17/18 12:35 a.m.

In reply to GCrites80s :

I am looking forward to it. I have an 88 Corvette, and a 91 Firebird as well. 80's and 90's cars are finally starting to get the love they deserve! I grew up wanting all of these cars, so i guess it just means i am getting old:) 

This also happened today

midniteson
midniteson Reader
6/17/18 12:39 a.m.

And i finally got the Air shocks installed. Love the Rake!

This build is really coming together nicely.

Mike924
Mike924 Reader
6/21/18 9:25 a.m.

I had one of these cars.  Loved it.  It was so quirky. 

I will admit I do not know the motor codes for Toyotas, but I once had a plan of swapping in the Celica All track motor into my Tercel Sr5 wagon and then take it rallying.  It would hav been quite the sleeper.  Good luck on the build.  I will be watching with enjoyment.

RossD
RossD MegaDork
6/21/18 9:37 a.m.

Love it! Needs a swing out spare carrier, jerry can, hi-lift jack, and a shovel. laugh

midniteson
midniteson Reader
7/14/18 4:42 p.m.

LiL T and the Bob Costas Wagon ready for the Gambler 500 Idaho Sawtooth smackdown!

Lof8
Lof8 GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/15/18 1:39 p.m.

Take pics!  I hope they do a Gambler in the southeast soon. 

midniteson
midniteson Reader
9/2/18 8:54 p.m.

So i started a youtube channel, and The Tercel is one of the main subjects.

here is the intro to the Gambler 500 idaho. 

https://youtu.be/OdPAbKZ_JZQ

midniteson
midniteson Reader
9/16/18 4:06 p.m.

New video up, showing my skidplate build and install.  My buddy Nate, bought a sheet of UHMW and we cut it in half and made two skidplates. I used his design as a template. more to come...

https://youtu.be/g4QUdVr_raE

midniteson
midniteson Reader
9/18/18 5:57 p.m.

Blew out the crank seal with 24hours before i had to drive 300 miles to idaho, me and a buddy dug deep and swapped it out. another small victory before the big event. 

midniteson
midniteson Reader
11/22/18 10:44 p.m.

Got a pic of My Skidplate installed. I used four of the factory bolts to mount it in place. It is made out of 1/4" thick UHMW plastic. 

I was going to go with aluminum, but my buddy already made one, and i used his as a template to cut my own. 

Cant beat how light it is, this car is so slow it doesnt need anymore weight lol.

It works great! bounced a lot of rocks out of the way and slid on some others, 

midniteson
midniteson Reader
11/26/18 6:54 p.m.

Today, i Went to the licensing agency and got my Vintage 80's Plate Registered and Street Legal. 

I Scored The Plate on Ebay for 10 bucks shipped. Last tabbed in 86.

Love the way it looks. 

midniteson
midniteson Reader
1/29/19 6:49 p.m.

Found an ad for some parts cars on CL went and checked them out and scored just about all the parts i was looking to replace. 

Should make it more presentable for Radwood Seattle in July, cant wait!

Scored a Glove box with working latch, front and rear turn signals and window trim for 35 bucks. I might go back and snag the Fenders so i have a set to cut and flare.

So far i am into the car about $1100 inluding the purchase price.

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Reader
1/29/19 10:51 p.m.

Where did you find that passenger seat? I need some plaid in my builds.

midniteson
midniteson Reader
1/30/19 11:17 a.m.

In reply to GIRTHQUAKE :

The passenger seat in that picture is a Stock 83-88 Tercel SR5 seat. also offered in the FWD corolla FX16.

That plaid pattern was available in tan or blue in 83-85 Tercel SR5 cars.

They are fairly comfortable, and have those cool handles. 

I would have just recovered the stock seats, but i scored the pair of even rarer, and more adjustable/comfortable blue MK2 Supra seats.

I did 1200 miles in 3 days in this car with 500 miles off that off road, and my back was fine after

I would recommend the Supra seat to anyone for a low buck race track/road trip seat.

I have NEVER sat in such a comfortable adjustable seat. 

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Reader
2/1/19 3:18 p.m.

Hm, I'll have to look for them then. I had heard of that funny air pump from the "Roads Untravelled" youtube channel when he reviewed one of those Celicas HERE.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
p9xbn7u96u11ElKdvoQbPMgT8TTZT3IzmitTZZXYiDDijo9TdNaLfZYx6xBrBL1b