1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10
moparman76_69
moparman76_69 HalfDork
3/13/13 9:22 a.m.

We still need to hang out sometime.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
3/13/13 9:47 a.m.

I'll probably be working on the black car this weekend, come on over!

Bring a hoist if you want, too. Mine is at my buddy's place and his truck topper is messed up from being backed into, so we don't have a way to bring it back to my place. Gotta pull the motor on this car.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 HalfDork
3/13/13 10:14 a.m.

I'm free on Friday and have a truck. You've got my number.

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
3/13/13 10:35 a.m.

Does this technically make me the owner of two of them at the moment? The one that you have that's in pieces and the one in my driveway with flat snow meats and a dead battery?

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
3/13/13 10:39 a.m.

Dead battery seems to be a recurring theme with Black 1988 MX6s at the moment....

I suppose technically i own this one at the moment. Trying to decide if i want to title and register it. Probably wouldn't be a bad idea if i'm going to be tuning it.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
3/13/13 4:05 p.m.

This is why these cars rule. This is as simple and as cheap as it gets, and you STILL get rewarded with power. Lots of power.

Stealth said: Today Ruby made 272whp and 290wtq on a mustang dyno. When converted to dynojet numbers thats a whopping 304whp and 324wtq! This is a 60 trim T3 with a .63 AR exhaust side @ 16psi. Fuel is controlled with a Aeromotive AFPR @ 43 psi base pressure from a 255 Walbro pump. The intercooler, fuel injectors, and ECU are stock. I have a probinator chip installed. The injectors are seeing about 70 psi at max boost.

(The dyno pull itself was a little weird)

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand New Reader
3/14/13 2:57 p.m.

Loving this. Kinda surprised at how much power these things are putting down.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
3/14/13 3:12 p.m.
Harvey wrote: Loving this. Kinda surprised at how much power these things are putting down.

Like i said... the Probe above was a REAL mild and basic setup. We don't know how much power mine was putting down before it ate the clutch, but there's no way it wasn't WELL into the 300whp range, and probably went over 400ftlbs.

This motor is something else.

When i'm done with mndsm's, it'll be over 300whp, and his motor has something like 230k miles on it. These things just don't care.

Everyone should own one of these cars, they're incredible.

pres589
pres589 SuperDork
3/14/13 3:16 p.m.

The transmissions are non-incredible. Otherwise excellent cars.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
3/14/13 3:20 p.m.
pres589 wrote: The transmissions are non-incredible. Otherwise excellent cars.

I still disagree to that point.

I know you had trouble with yours, but people having problems with their H-types is not a common thing at all.

I DID run across a Probe GT that had a bad one last year in the junkyard, but it was just a bad shift fork. I still should have paid the $75 for it. Easy fix.

dansxr2
dansxr2 Dork
3/14/13 3:46 p.m.

Ben's car is really impressive I rode in it!!! I'm possibly switching up to 550 Injectors in the F2T MX-3 and Moar Boost. Hell my turbo was ~ 50% of what its capable of lol at the challenge with a slapped together blow through setup... Next year will be much better prepared!

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
3/14/13 4:04 p.m.
dansxr2 wrote: Ben's car is really impressive I rode in it!!! I'm possibly switching up to 550 Injectors in the F2T MX-3 and Moar Boost. Hell my turbo was ~ 50% of what its capable of lol at the challenge with a slapped together blow through setup... Next year will be much better prepared!

Did you get any help from Matt Cramer? Saw that he was in your thread on MX6.com.

I wanna see that thing running right. It should be faster than mine was when you rode in it. I was hamstrung by the clutch then, boost was low. (Well, and my turbo was falling off, apparently. )

Oh btw... i got a new turbo. It's the one with the black compressor housing.

dansxr2
dansxr2 Dork
3/15/13 3:40 p.m.

Yeah, Matt helped and answered alot of questions I had. I guess no one had done an '88-'89 MX-6 GT on the DIYPnP. When I got it I had a bad Microsquirt card which was replaced under warranty. I put those 440 Supra injectors in last night and now gotta work up a new fuel map for them.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
3/15/13 8:43 p.m.

I was actually with Jason when you texted him today, but we were in the middle of buying a 97 Probe GTS out of the junkyard.

I'll bug him for you tomorrow.

My guess is that your current issue is your car going pig rich again. You went from 330 high Z injectors to 440cc low Z injectors. Even if you changed injector size within Megasquirt, you're going to need to do some tweaking because of the impedance change and the change in dead times between the two.

dansxr2
dansxr2 Dork
3/16/13 8:57 a.m.

I have a leak at the injectors, its actually says its goin way lean. I'll fix that and see if it solves my issue. I did change the Req. Fuel which takes Engine size, AFR, Injector Size; and number of Cylinders. It dropped my required fuel from 11.x to 8.3.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
3/16/13 9:03 a.m.

Sorry, i should have mentioned to maybe replace the o-rings and seals on those injectors. I almost never re-use those when i get new/old injectors. Cheap insurance.

dansxr2
dansxr2 Dork
3/16/13 2:05 p.m.

I replaced those, its on the other end where that lil plastic seat sits in the intake. May have to swap those plastic parts from the old injectors?

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
3/16/13 3:29 p.m.

You can buy those as well. You can try swapping them.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Reader
3/16/13 9:28 p.m.

Man I need one of these cars....

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Reader
3/17/13 12:38 p.m.

Found one on Craigslist a few hours west of me for $1500 obo...hmmm...

dansxr2
dansxr2 Dork
3/17/13 7:00 p.m.

DO EEEET!!!! You won't regret it!!!

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Reader
3/17/13 10:57 p.m.
dansxr2 wrote: DO EEEET!!!! You won't regret it!!!

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
3/19/13 3:31 p.m.

Worked on it some more. Bad news. Car has some holes in the floor that were repaired (and i use the term loosely) as terribly as possible. Can't find another car fast enough, so i'm rolling with this thing and will just patch it as best as i can. Anyone in Indy want to weld the existing patch panels in for some beer?

Piping off, cruise control removed. Took harness off of most of the motor. The wiring is in bad shape. All the wiring at the water neck sensors snapped off, and half the sensors are toast anyways. I'll just strip the circuits out of the harness and repair the wire that feeds the ECU. I'll put in a new programmable Thermostatic control module to control the fans, and we'll use an aftermarket water temp gauge.

None of the injectors were sealing. Leaking gas everywhere.

This is probably fine, right? (Oh by the way, this thing had NO cooling fans.)

Never seen this sensor on a manual car before. Though, this is an early build date (June 1988) and there were some weird stuff on those early cars.

Greeeeaaaaaaat.

Arg. Didn't think to notice that the lug nuts were spline drive. Now i have a lug nut permanently inserted in my 1/2" deep 17mm socket. berkeley my life.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
3/19/13 3:32 p.m.

The sad part... here's what this car looked like 2 years ago. Yep, that's an Erebuni bumper. (Which i purchased 2 years ago for the red car.)

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 HalfDork
3/19/13 3:36 p.m.

So is this your car or mndsm's car? If you can bring me the car I can do some crappy bird E36 M3 welds with the 90 amp HF flux core I have. I can come to you but it would have to be a Friday and it would be a couple of weeks before I can do it.

1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Tu0HEMRbQ7qhQMTo8mbJWCHorD80JBn2jI1jhch4I5jlKNi6rFPTsDdvvIdn5WiX