1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 ... 88
alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/17/18 11:43 a.m.
Jerry From LA said:

To my mind, the only reason for the post-cat O2 sensor is to compare the output to the pre-cat one.  Too similar, and the computer throws a PO420 code.  So a narrow-band is all you need in the back, since the output does not vary much.

FWIW, the rear sensor does a WHOLE lot more than that.  Its' one of the key sensors in the race to SULEV30 fleet average.

USERNAMETAKEN
USERNAMETAKEN GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/29/18 1:15 p.m.

Been doing a ton of research, and a plan is coming together.  Maybe.  This whole thread is starting to sound like a broken record...

Would appear that I could send a PCM to the SCT people and they could do a PATS delete on it.  I don't have a lot of detailed info on this option, but they said it's within their capabilities and they do support the Focus ST platform.  Will need to find out about sensor and emissions system tweaks.  The actual tuner looks to be more Cobb-like than a down and dirty programmer.

I've read more about HP-Tuners, and while I've not gotten any clear answer one way or the other, I think I can do a PATS delete with it too.  This software looks like it's a lot more powerful.

Next to figure out - harness!  Like I can't plug in an OBD2 flash unit if I don't have an OBD2 port!  I'm going to look for a junkyard with a 2.0 EB vehicle in it, and see what I can steal for harnesses and PCM.  And maybe the battery hook-up and distribution panel. 

And a couple emblems.  Cause that would be cool.

Regardless, I'm screwing up my courage to take the brute-force DIY route with the controller.  Props to Saron81 for all his guidance on Ford parts and wiring diagrams.

I've got a few other things going on with the car.  Will take some photos and add updates shortly.

USERNAMETAKEN
8/30/18 9:46 a.m.

Ok, enough hand-wringing about engine control.  Time for photos of interesting things.  My daughter and I took apart the passenger door the other day.  We found ORIGINAL PAINT!

The car was originally this maroon/burgundy color from the factory.  The PO painted it white pretty early on in his ownership.  I've never actually seen a pic of an M-Series with this color, and I'm not sure it would look particularly good.  But super cool to find some!  Whatever color the body ends up, I'll be making off these door insides to keep this as-is.

The window crank seems to be held on by a pin, and I have yet to figure out how to get it off.  The whole window mechanism had a big spacer made of some sort of chip board that completely fell apart when we took the door card off.  No wonder the window wouldn't operate!

Here's a quick couple shots of the door card:

The "beauty side" is in pretty nice shape, and shouldn't need much work.

Here's the internal side:

I'll be pulling apart the door locks and window mechanisms next.  Clean, repair as needed, grease, reinstall, etc.

That's it for now.  Enjoy!

RoddyMac17
RoddyMac17 Reader
8/30/18 10:20 a.m.

The handle looks similar to what the early wind-up window Midgets had.  The pin should just tap out, from what I remember.

Midget Door Fittings

USERNAMETAKEN
8/30/18 11:47 a.m.
RoddyMac17 said:

The handle looks similar to what the early wind-up window Midgets had.  The pin should just tap out, from what I remember.

Midget Door Fittings

I think so.  It's just a question of getting the little trim ring to pull back.  It's really tight and I don't want to wreck it during the removal process.

USERNAMETAKEN
9/4/18 12:33 p.m.

I managed to get the window crank off.  Just had to pry back the trim ring enough to get the pin out.  It was stubborn because of this:

The socket on the crank - like seemingly everything else on the car - is all bunged up.  One side of it is totally ripped off, and the other three are cracked and distorted.

Another view:

It does indeed look similar to a Midget window crank in function, but the design is definitely different.  I'll look in to a replacement or maybe think about making a plug to replace the broken socket.

USERNAMETAKEN
9/13/18 9:45 a.m.

OMG-OMG-OMG-OMG-OMG-OMG-OMG-OMG-OMG-OMG-OMG

Ford Performance came thru on the control pack!!  I just paid for it, and it'll be getting shipped out shortly!

GAME ON!!!

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
9/13/18 9:50 a.m.

Abso-berkeleying-lutely AWESOME!!!!!

Ram50Ron
Ram50Ron GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/13/18 10:28 a.m.

Berk Yeah!!  Excited for impending updates!

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/13/18 10:29 a.m.

YUSSSS!

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/13/18 10:30 a.m.

hot like fire!

Dirtydog
Dirtydog GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/13/18 10:31 a.m.

Great news!  Now on the wings of Mercury you shall fly.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
9/13/18 10:54 a.m.

In reply to USERNAMETAKEN :

Whew

Saron81
Saron81 Reader
9/13/18 11:37 a.m.

Yes!!!!!

USERNAMETAKEN
9/13/18 11:38 a.m.

Thanks, everyone!  I feel like I'm running down the tunnel-of-high-fives before the big game!

barefootskater
barefootskater HalfDork
9/13/18 11:42 a.m.

Then consider this another high five. Party on, Wayne.

RossD
RossD MegaDork
9/13/18 11:46 a.m.

devil

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
9/13/18 11:48 a.m.

Excellent!!!!

mblommel
mblommel GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/13/18 11:52 a.m.

wowzers!

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/13/18 2:02 p.m.

Fantastic! Hi-5!

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
9/13/18 2:39 p.m.

Kudos to the Ford team for doing this.

It is probably in the prose aboe, but remind me again, what was the unique bit that required Ford interention? Was it the wires or the controller/controller  code that is unique?

The reason I ask if because I wonder if you are now in a place where you have an irreplaceable part on the car unless the Ford guys make another?

Pete

dherr
dherr GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/13/18 2:54 p.m.

Great to hear that you got the controller! Crazy story but glad it all worked out! Now for the fun part.....

USERNAMETAKEN
9/13/18 3:22 p.m.
NOHOME said:

Kudos to the Ford team for doing this.

It is probably in the prose aboe, but remind me again, what was the unique bit that required Ford interention? Was it the wires or the controller/controller  code that is unique?

The reason I ask if because I wonder if you are now in a place where you have an irreplaceable part on the car unless the Ford guys make another?

Pete

Pete, the control pack is a bit of an easy button more than anything.  The truly custom thing is the wiring harness and power distribution.

The ECU is a stock one with a custom flash.  This gets rid of the PATS-related programming, and also the emissions programming.  This ECU is specifically supported by several aftermarket tuners, so it's not totally unique.

I could have pieced it together and had the ECU modified by HP.  Or I could have used another controller like the SCS one from the UK.  I thought I would have to do this.  Really it comes down to a comfort-level thing for me, since I'm not really skilled in engine-control.  I wanted the modern engine, and this made it straight-forward.

Scott

USERNAMETAKEN
9/14/18 2:08 p.m.

Ok, back to more digging around under the car today.  Gotta love the ups and downs of self-employment!

I've been doing a lot of figuring, and I don't think I can make the MT-82 Mustang transmission work.  It's really big.  Too big.  Interferes all over the place.  I could sand off ribs on the casting, but I don't really like doing that.  And it hangs way down at the rear mount.  I'm not even getting into the lack of clearance up front where the exhaust will need to run.

Then there's the shifter.  I designed up a spiffy little linkage so that I could move the shifter to the right spot.  Today I stuck the shifter housing on top of the trans and jacked the whole mess into place (still an inch too low though) and it really doesn't fit.  The shifter isn't too bad at the driver's seat - a bit high and more truck-like than I'd like.  Underneath it's really crammed in and I don't think I have the room to make my adaptor work.

So, out with the old and in with the new.  Bye bye, MT-82.

I've been conversing with a guy who's doing this swap on an MGB.  He's about a year ahead of me, I'd say.  His car actually runs and drives.  It's really cool.  He's using an NC Miata 5 spd with good success.  That gearbox is so compact.  And light.  The shifter will be just where I want it.  And won't shift like my brother's old Ranger.

And they're cheap in the junkyard.  Did I mention cheap?

I have heard of a 2.0 EB engine munching a Miata trans, but that was on a Merkur rally car.  So 1000 lb heavier, and so much harder duty.  I think I'll risk it.

That leaves me with the clutch question.  I've already got a clutch/flywheel from a Focus ST that I'd like to use.  It's a fair bit bigger than the Miata clutch - 9-1/2" vs 8-1/2".  Splines are different - 23T for the ST, and 22T for the NC.  I guess I could punt on this clutch combo and get a Stage 2 or Stage 3 Miata clutch.  Or has anyone had a custom clutch disc made up?  What are the issues and complications there?

Also, I found the windshield wiper motor today!  Why did it have to be covered in construction adhesive and carpet fuzz?

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
9/14/18 2:15 p.m.

Ive had to have custom clutches built. Spec clutch does a good job at a good price and quick.

1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 ... 88

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
V0DWagdWtabYLKjR4yRitSZVRuitAD2S3kaJgTV9tcO6dHPF31gkvSrX8BqWhUYJ