1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 ... 88
TVR Scott
TVR Scott GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/12/19 9:59 p.m.

Fans are all buttoned up. Bench tested with my dc power supply and all three make wind and appropriate whooshing noises.

Also I machined this little base so that I can press in the elbow fitting for the fuel regulator.

Still waiting on the world's slowest delivery of aluminum mandrel bends. Still haven't even shipped after a week...

TVR Scott
8/16/19 4:20 p.m.

My daring assistant is hard at work accessorizing the water-pump pulley.  A bit of an homage to the engine the PO built:

TVR Scott
8/24/19 5:32 p.m.

Finally got in some car work today.  

I bought a 3d printer about a week and a half ago, and got my first prints out of it on Friday last week.  Since then I've been pretty much running it flat-out and have made all kinds of parts.  I've gone thru about 2-1/2 rolls of filament in a week!

Here it is working on some parts for the airbox:

And here are the end-plates finished.  This may or may not be the finished product.  These could just be fancier templates for plasma-cut and welded aluminum.  Or this might last forever.  We'll find out.

More parts are on the printer right now - will be finished up around midnight.

Also, I got to machine an intercooler mounting plate.  This has been in the works for a long time, and I'm happy I fit it in today.

I bought a giant chunk of aluminum for a fixture plate - first time using it too.  Worked very well.

The mounting plate came out great.  Here's the bottom side:

And how it will look mounted:

I'm going to print side-plates - and maybe later machine them.  Those will go on tomorrow morning.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/24/19 7:03 p.m.

I dig that it’s half the Union jack

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/24/19 7:55 p.m.

I take it you're happy with that 3D printer? Seems like there's often a lot of fiddling and futzing, but it looks like you got to cranking out usable parts really quickly..

TVR Scott
8/24/19 10:39 p.m.
AngryCorvair said:

I dig that it’s half the Union jack

I'm so happy you picked up on that!

Ransom said:

I take it you're happy with that 3D printer? Seems like there's often a lot of fiddling and futzing, but it looks like you got to cranking out usable parts really quickly..

I am ridiculously happy with my new printer.  I had one issue after about a day of running, and I had to grease the linear bearings.  Beyond that I have run the hell out of the thing and never looked back.  I actually plan ahead a day or two to make sure I can keep it running 24/7.  All that after just a week!  I am a huge fan.

I actually bought a much more expensive resin printer a couple years ago, and the original unit showed up DOA.  They sent me a new one and that one also showed up DOA.  I then had to fight to get all my money back, and it soured me on 3d printers for a while.  But this Prusa has been absolutely fantastic.  Totally has exceeded my expectations.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
8/24/19 11:18 p.m.

Which prusa, what vendor, and how big can it do? I want to know for.....reasons 

TVR Scott
8/25/19 8:06 a.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

Which prusa, what vendor, and how big can it do? I want to know for.....reasons 

It's the i3 MK3S - their latest model.  I ordered it directly from Prusa in the Czech Republic.  Cost about $800 shipped and arrived in a couple days.

If you want me to send you something off the printer, let me know.  Can be helpful to have a sample part.

JoeTR6
JoeTR6 Dork
8/25/19 10:43 a.m.

That intercooler mount plate is a nice detail.  Looks like everything is coming together.

I will someday own a 3D printer.  Lots of projects come to mind when I think about them.  Unfortunately, money and space is an issue at the moment.

Boostless
Boostless New Reader
8/25/19 1:14 p.m.

Did the printer come assembled? I tried a knock off of this design but assembly was required. Ended up sending it back because it was not as described. 

Like the work, keep it up.

TVR Scott
8/25/19 2:32 p.m.

The printer came as a kit.  It took me two evenings to get it put together, and then I did the calibration and all that the next morning.  The instructions were excellent, and the overall design very intuitive and well-thought out. 

Prusa does offer a fully assembled and tested unit as well.  It's about $250 more.

Others on the board have different preferences for printer brands, though I'm really just talking about my experiences with this one. 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
8/25/19 2:55 p.m.

$800?

Too rich for my blood right now. However, it sounds like you have one of the better setups for home use i have heard of. 

TVR Scott
8/25/19 3:35 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

$800?

Too rich for my blood right now. However, it sounds like you have one of the better setups for home use i have heard of. 

Yeah, I certainly could have bought something cheaper.  I have had a very good work year this year and I can also justify using the printer for work-related parts.  And I definitely bought with an eye toward reliability.

TVR Scott
8/26/19 8:28 p.m.

The brackets finished printing just now, and I did a bit of assembly work.  You can see the pockets on the inside where the hex-locknuts slide it.  A nice way of doing fasteners.

And here it is in place:

The fit is ok.  Needs a few adjustments, but overall it's looking fine.

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/27/19 9:30 a.m.

I had wondered what the price point was for a quality, reliable home tool use 3d printer, vs. the more, um, tinker level lower price points. $800 isn't nothing, but definitely not bad for a tool you know you'll use. Thanks for sharing! Very curious how these parts will hold up to use.

TVR Scott
8/27/19 8:52 p.m.

In reply to bluej :

Yeah, we'll see.  Printed PETG parts may not be up to structural duty here, but everthing I've made can be machined in aluminum instead.  There will be back-up support too - nothing will be hanging out in the wind!

Ransom
8/28/19 11:15 a.m.

In reply to TVR Scott :

Any reason not to ponder doing one of the more structural filaments, like like glass- or carbon-reinforced nylon?

TVR Scott
8/28/19 1:21 p.m.
Ransom said:

In reply to TVR Scott :

Any reason not to ponder doing one of the more structural filaments, like like glass- or carbon-reinforced nylon?

Just haven't bought any yet.  My cousin - who has the same printer - has played with carbon-filled polycarbonate.  He says it's pretty awesome.  Once I'm happy with the fit, that could be a very good next step.

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
8/28/19 1:28 p.m.

In reply to TVR Scott :

I'd consider making more of a "s" ramp... or heck, just a flat one... on the inside edges of those parts as they lead away from the intercooler.  Should help the flow, and make the part stronger; I think you'd want the "inside" hollow, with whatever "fill" the printer decides it needs?

TVR Scott
8/28/19 1:41 p.m.

In reply to sleepyhead the buffalo :

You're talking about shrouding the intercooler a bit closer?  Not totally following what you're saying.

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
8/29/19 3:22 a.m.

Highlighted in red, and bad ramp “drawn with my finger” in green.  So instead of the two 90degree corners (which are admittedly easy to machine and program), make that into an extended ramp section.  Doesn’t need to be full thickness abs fill, but more like a top plate with support fill between it and the original shape.

TVR Scott
8/29/19 7:01 a.m.

In reply to sleepyhead the buffalo :

I get ya.  I will definitely be playing with this kind of thing once the car starts to come together more.  One of my eventual plans is to duct all the hot air from the front end *somewhere*.  Downward to exit along the bottom is the likely candidate right now.

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/29/19 7:25 a.m.

This just keeps getting better. Outstanding work.

TVR Scott
8/29/19 10:25 a.m.

In reply to wheelsmithy :

Thanks! I appreciate that.

Printed a wire tie base for the fuel line this morning:

Very nice fit. The wire tie channels are printed right in - so slick! I love that about 3d printing!

Ransom
8/29/19 11:02 a.m.

In reply to TVR Scott :

This really is inspiring. I mean, both the whole build and this 3D printing chapter.

1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 ... 88

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CX4ZdQWL36cgTamdL88aaDAWklRWJxfLtXmWFgxbKy6Z5JhnooJ66iqq7GZW82GC