1 ... 62 63 64 65 66 ... 88
obsolete
obsolete GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/25/21 10:18 p.m.

The ARP stuff (I assume you're talking about the white teflon paste) is great but it's really only for tapered threads. I'd touch up the sealing surfaces as you were saying and try to find the right size dowty washer instead of copper.

Rigante
Rigante New Reader
2/26/21 11:03 a.m.
TurnerX19
TurnerX19 SuperDork
2/26/21 3:56 p.m.

Plus 2 on Rigante's comment. Get a real Dowty washer from Pegasus and skip the "sealant" stuff.

TVR Scott (Forum Supporter)
TVR Scott (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/26/21 6:27 p.m.
TurnerX19 said:

Plus 2 on Rigante's comment. Get a real Dowty washer from Pegasus and skip the "sealant" stuff.

I agree that Griffith is a beauty.  Interesting that it's a LHD car in the UK.  The car was repatriated.

I'm feeling stupid this afternoon: Is this sensor supposed to be 3/8" BSPP?  That's my best guess, but it doesn't really match the dimension I expected.

Btw, I tried a fiber washer at it still leaks, but much less than the copper one.

dherr (Forum Supporter)
dherr (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/3/21 1:29 p.m.

Hey Scott, couple of questions on your 2.0 Ecoboost if you don't mind. Re-read your thread again, but can't seem to find the answer  so easier to ask. I know you had to wait forever for the engine controller from Ford, but I guess you also found the elusive  M-6006-20 Engine orientation kit? These seem to be discontinued by Ford but seem to be 2.3 Ecoboost parts, so if you could share the elusive part numbers, that would be fantastic!

3/3/21 2:19 p.m.

In reply to dherr (Forum Supporter) :

I did use that kit, and I'll try my best to help you out.  A lot of that kit is stuff from the Mustang 2.3, so if you can track down those parts you should be in the right place.

At the moment I'm not using that oil pan.  It's deeper than the stock ST pan, and I don't really need to remove the harmonic balancer right now.  I may use it later, but for now it's stock.

I've seen other people do the swap with the stock manifold and water system.  The 2.3 manifold is nice if you don't have much down-low space.  The water lines just make for a cleaner N/S set-up, but probably some longer hose would work fine.

I'm not clear why there's the different crankcase vent (or whatever that thing in the lower-right is).

dherr (Forum Supporter)
3/3/21 2:50 p.m.

Yes, in looking at my engine between the shock towers, I am going to move it as far forward as possible but I can already see that the 2.3 intake and 2.3 turbo have a better orientation and more clearance. Do you know if the 2.3 turbo fits on the 2.0? The outlet points up and forward on the 2.3, rather than right into my shock tower on the 2.0.  I think the oil pan will let me move the engine the amount I need to do to clear everything. I'll start looking for the 2.0 parts :-)

3/3/21 3:06 p.m.

Oh boy.  On the turbo, I doubt that it'll be interchangeable.  But maybe it would be fine - I really don't know.  I know it's a totally different design - twin scroll on the 2.3.

My first thought is going to the tuning - since that's my weak point.  I'd probably be asking SCS questions first.  Certainly the boost characteristics would be a lot different with the 2.3 turbo.

bluej (Forum Supporter)
bluej (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/3/21 5:18 p.m.

The thing on the lower right in the orientation kit pic is the pvc breather housing. The tolerance between that and the longitudinal manifolds is tight. Worth checking whatever combo you have on the motor.

dherr (Forum Supporter)
3/4/21 8:36 a.m.

I have placed the engine in the chassis to figure out what is needed. Best location seems to be similar to the GT6 engine location with it forward in the chassis and forward of the steering rack by 4 inches. This means I need the 2.3 oil pan, intake manifold and possibly the turbocharger assembly. The good news about this location as it makes the alternator, AC forward of the shock turrets and puts the transmission in a better location with far less frame modifications and zero body shell changes from what I can tell so far. So I'll start looking for these pieces and then do the chassis  mods to drop this all down and see how it fits and put the body back to confirm. Sorry to hack your thread :-)

dherr (Forum Supporter)
3/4/21 11:02 a.m.
TVR Scott (Forum Supporter) said:

I did use that kit, and I'll try my best to help you out.  A lot of that kit is stuff from the Mustang 2.3, so if you can track down those parts you should be in the right place.

At the moment I'm not using that oil pan.  It's deeper than the stock ST pan, and I don't really need to remove the harmonic balancer right now.  I may use it later, but for now it's stock.

I've seen other people do the swap with the stock manifold and water system.  The 2.3 manifold is nice if you don't have much down-low space.  The water lines just make for a cleaner N/S set-up, but probably some longer hose would work fine.

I'm not clear why there's the different crankcase vent (or whatever that thing in the lower-right is).

Yes, if you happen to have the invoice or packing slip with the part numbers, that would save me a ton of research. You are correct about the turbo, but looks like the 2.0 turbo will clear if I get the Mustang oil pan, pickup and intake manifolds. The big items are pretty easy, but if I can get the ford part numbers for the rest, I'll be in good shape.

3/4/21 2:30 p.m.

I don't think that kit came itemized.  I'm pretty sure it was just a big box full of stuff.  And it's been almost three years.  So long-story short, if it doesn't have an obvious part number on it, I probably won't have any good info to share.

You could hit up Saron81 - he's a parts guy at a Maryland Ford dealership, and he's been great about finding weird stuff for me.

(PS: Hi, Kirk!)

GXP Kirk
GXP Kirk None
3/4/21 3:22 p.m.

In reply to TVR Scott (Forum Supporter) :

Well with a shoutout like that I guess I've got to come out of lurker mode and actually post something.

I thought about making my username "TVR Scott's Cousin" but I figure I'll be keeping the Solstice for a while so I went with that.

Quick question, does the 10 hours I spent this week reading through this thread count as time spent on my project car?

dherr (Forum Supporter)
3/4/21 3:55 p.m.

Hey Kirk, yeah with that introduction sounds like you are the man here! Trying to piece together the Ford Racing M-6006-20 - Engine Orientation Kit which is no longer available. Looks like I can get the following pieces from that kit as they seem to be Mustang 2.3 parts.

Oil pan - FR3Z-6675A

Oil screen and cover for above - FR3Z-6622A

Intake manifold - FR3Z-9424-D

Water outlet - FR3Z-8K556A

Gasket - FR3Z-8255A

The metal pipe that runs along the passenger side of the valve cover, above the turbo, can't find the part number for it.   Same for the PCV piece and hose under the intake as well as the dip stick. The rest of the parts have to do with the balance shaft delete, but there are aftermarket kits out for that. I may need the main bolt that holds the oil pickup as I think it is longer for the 2.3.

Happy to come buy them all from you if you can help me out. I am in Frederick.

GXP Kirk
GXP Kirk New Reader
3/4/21 5:47 p.m.

Sorry about the confusion. I'm not Saron81, he's the parts guy. I'm Scott's cousin and I talked to him today on the phone about this Forum and that's why he said hi to me at the end of his post.

dherr (Forum Supporter)
3/4/21 5:54 p.m.

Too funny, no worries!

damarble
damarble New Reader
3/5/21 12:22 a.m.

Take a look at NC Miata parts for longitudinal conversions too. I'm using the NC oil pan on my 2.3, it's the shallowest I've found. 

3/5/21 8:10 a.m.
GXP Kirk said:

Well with a shoutout like that I guess I've got to come out of lurker mode and actually post something.

I thought about making my username "TVR Scott's Cousin" but I figure I'll be keeping the Solstice for a while so I went with that.

Quick question, does the 10 hours I spent this week reading through this thread count as time spent on my project car?

I'm glad you joined up on the forum.  This is a fun group and you'll fit right in.  Now you need to start a build thread on your E30!

Good talking to you yesterday!

bluej (Forum Supporter)
bluej (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/5/21 3:21 p.m.
TVR Scott (Forum Supporter) said:
GXP Kirk said:

I'm glad you joined up on the forum.  This is a fun group and you'll fit right in.  Now you need to start a build thread on your E30!

Good talking to you yesterday!

Edit: it's Friday, and I was dumb, hah.

3/5/21 4:10 p.m.

In reply to bluej (Forum Supporter) :

Oh boy.  Mass confusion.  I blame dherr!

My cousin is in Colorado Springs, not the greater DC area.  So you're still on your own, bluej.

Now for real TVR updates, live from sunny Denver, CO:

I picked up this temp sensor for the air box.  Evidently you can't install it unless you're a member of the Village People:

And you need a HUGE WRENCH too.

This one was a big confusion.  Thankfully EcoBoost Miata builder TheTick58 has been helping me make sense of the sensors.  He steered me to the right part numbers and locations for the three different MAP sensors.  When I went to find the plug for this one I couldn't find anything.  If you can remember, dear reader, from YEARS AGO, I removed about 5 connectors from the harness.  This was in the Ford Racing manual.  Well, I mistakenly thought this connector was the plug for the Noise Generator / Sound Symposer.  Wrong!

Curiously, check out the jumper wire on the plug.

So I unwrapped a bunch of the wiring harness, and found out I exercised great wisdom back then.  The correct cut-wires were labeled after wrapping.  So that should be easy to extend and wrap back into the harness.

Also, the O2 sensor and turbo downpipe gasket are both in.  I really did a number on the O2 sensor, and had to file and clean up like crazy to get it not to cross-thread again.  I even chucked it in my lathe and cut off the first thread or two.  It's probably contaminated and ruined after all that, but for the moment it's in.

That's it for now.  I've got a bunch of fun stuff planned for the weekend.  Happy Friday!

dherr (Forum Supporter)
3/5/21 4:18 p.m.

Total mass confusion, good you have your build thread back online, carry on!

3/6/21 7:13 p.m.

Got a bit more done this afternoon.  I needed an aluminum mounting plate for the "middle" MAP sensor, so I machined that:

I hadn't realized that my big surface mill is a 2-1/2" OD, so it was perfect for making the radiused cut to match the intercooler tube.  When I made one of these before I profiled that surface with a big ball-end mill.  This method was a bit easier.

All done and ready for welding:

Last update:  It is full of oil!

It took about a quart to fill up the oil cooler and the two filters.  Then I added 5 quarts straight into the engine and the level on the dipstick looked ok.  I've got another quart in reserve to top off after the lines all fill.

That's it for now!

TheTick58
TheTick58 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
3/6/21 10:44 p.m.
dherr (Forum Supporter) said:

Hey Scott, couple of questions on your 2.0 Ecoboost if you don't mind. Re-read your thread again, but can't seem to find the answer  so easier to ask. I know you had to wait forever for the engine controller from Ford, but I guess you also found the elusive  M-6006-20 Engine orientation kit? These seem to be discontinued by Ford but seem to be 2.3 Ecoboost parts, so if you could share the elusive part numbers, that would be fantastic!

sherry, did you find the part numbers you needed from the orientation kit?  I used that kit as well, and I think I still have all the individual boxes that it came in, and they have part numbers (yeah, I'm a packrat).  Let me know if you still need anything, I should be able to find them.

TheTick58
TheTick58 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
3/6/21 10:45 p.m.

TVR Scott, glad I could help solving your sensor/plug challenge.  Let me know if anything else comes up.

And thank you!

3/7/21 6:12 p.m.

Busy day today:

1 ... 62 63 64 65 66 ... 88

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Bh1WFnWRe7r0RRg55VFOgGWSP5jnzPxTs8c25CKEnQd5XLclxYkMNUQrgZiOXTvk