1 2 3 ... 12
irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
10/12/18 8:35 p.m.

nice!

pres589
pres589 PowerDork
10/12/18 10:49 p.m.

Some very interesting things going on in this thread so far.  Cool project.

Mezzanine
Mezzanine Dork
10/15/18 11:15 a.m.

Neat project! Are the posted pics the current state of the car? Is the engine mounted yet?

GoLucky
GoLucky New Reader
10/18/18 3:58 p.m.

Very cool, I would love to see pictures of the bracing if at all possible 

GoLucky
GoLucky New Reader
10/18/18 4:19 p.m.

In reply to Alfaromeoguy :

Good taste in cycling gear as well! Seems that you have an Italian theme going. I am just riding mountain bikes these days with the exception of my steel Bianchi commuter and the custom fixie and the custom dirt jumper and...  haha. As a shop guy I get to be curmudgeonly and mostly ride steel bikes but the nice carbon stuff really does fly doesn’t it? 

GoLucky
GoLucky New Reader
10/18/18 4:22 p.m.

In reply to Alfaromeoguy :

Ah! Saw bike racing in your profile and that makes sense! 

NOT A TA
NOT A TA Dork
11/15/18 8:04 p.m.

Cool project, can't wait to see finished dash.

NOT A TA
NOT A TA Dork
11/17/18 8:49 p.m.

Never saw one of those Avalon interiors. Dash outlines look like they'll compliment the stang gauge pod.

Way too many colors & textures in that Avalon interior!

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
12/3/18 9:25 p.m.

This should be a fun car to drive when done.

Not sure I fully understand your paint process.  

I only ask because you mention that you want  a "perfect" bodyshell and I don't understand your approach. The picture shows that you had more sanding to do in the filler primer stage before you put any paint on the primers; the dark spots are low areas that either need filling or the surrounding area need more sanding. Sanding the clear with 1000 grit will give you a nice shine,  but it wont make things flat; that has to happen entirely before the paint goes on. Are you doing guidecoats?

Also, why one panel at a time? Are you spraying or rolling the paint and clearcoat?

I am pretty new to this paint game, but a neat trick I learned is that when I think the primer is ready for paint, I wet it down with a hose and look at the reflection. The water acts just like a clearcoat and it will show any imperfections. If you are happy with what you see at this stage, then you will be happy with the paint.

Pete

fiesta54
fiesta54 Reader
12/11/18 8:01 p.m.

I can't wait to see this finished.  

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy Reader
1/17/19 1:20 a.m.

I removed  my posts. Very little  interest. Guess my car was not a maita.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk PowerDork
1/17/19 8:48 a.m.

In reply to Alfaromeoguy

Now why did you go do that? I was watching this thread because there aren't many Alfas on here any more. Just because there weren't a lot of comments doesn't mean we weren't paying attention.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
1/17/19 8:50 a.m.
Alfaromeoguy said:

I removed  my posts. Very little  interest. Guess my car was not a maita.

It's not about interest, it should be about documenting your project.  And just because people don't comment does not mean they are not watching.

Funny you mention about the Miata- I've got a Miata "restoration" project that very few are looking at and commenting on, too.  I'm going to still post the project, even with it being very, very slow.  

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy Reader
1/17/19 10:59 a.m.

static fit,no internals 

Mezzanine
Mezzanine Dork
1/18/19 4:49 p.m.

That looks SO GOOD in that engine bay! Please continue to share - for every person that comments, there's 10-20 that are watching and reading along. Thank you for putting the effort in to keep up the thread.

GoLucky
GoLucky New Reader
1/18/19 6:09 p.m.

Yes, to more of your progress. How else will everyone be able to cheat off of your answers?

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy Reader
1/18/19 7:38 p.m.

Go lucky, and depriving them a lack of sleep trying to figger it out,  that would not be fair 

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy Reader
1/18/19 8:00 p.m.

I was worried about the left side of the engine,close to steering box. I cut a large Styrofoam block to shape of the engine,to get an idea one fit. Looked like block to steering interference . I also cut the oil filter mount off,welded in some aluminum plate over the cut, but added 2 an 8 fittings  for remote oil cooler and filter.

Was not the problem,have good room, I can remove intake manifold and starter easily.

It was the right side of the engine, exhaust header is fine, the down pipe  will not fit.but I do believe I have a fix for that. 2 flexible exhaust pipes, clean oil off them ( from factory  ) wrap some masking tape around the pipes at 300 mm each, drill hole in each masking tape spot, tack weld to now cut down pipe  mount ( leaving 30 mm of pipe attached to the flange )  attach the collector  pipe to the ends of flexible pipe .no weld just force.

shape to need then after shape is correct  spray expandable foam into the holes I drilled into the flexible pipe, let the foam expand and harden

Cut spot welds off, remove now unflexable  pipe, let muffler shop copy in S.S. pipe, refit to car, making shire it is in the right location. Tack weld. Remove and finish the weld.

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy Reader
1/18/19 10:48 p.m.

Going to paint it black cherry.  Like it's baby brother

CrookedRacer
CrookedRacer Reader
1/19/19 7:21 a.m.

I haven’t been on GRM for a while but this was the first thread I clicked on. I was confused there for a minute.

It’s nice when folks comment, but a lack of comments doesn’t mean nobody’s reading, or that nobody will.

Great color choice.

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy Reader
1/19/19 11:50 a.m.

Engine specs.  2.2 base engine.  .020 over.    Molly side coat on pistons, ceramic on the tops.  10.0/1 compression .  3 angle valve seat cut.  Lots of work on the head porting.   Back of intake valves a coating of some stuff that makes the back sides slippery to any build up. Polished the combustion chambers to eliminate any possible hot spots.  Beehive valve springs. Pistons and rods are perfectly balanced. Rods are polished to mirror finish,( I got carried away ,took them down to 1500 wet/Dry paper, with olive oil to keep paper wet. the lower 2 rods are not quite polished when photos were taken, they are perfect now. )

Retainers are oem.  All flash on the insides of the block removed.  oil filter cast into block.  That was removed for fit .Those passageway blocked, drilled and an 8 bungs welded on for remote oil cooler and filter.  Intake manifold  is off a 2.4 ecotec. The throttle body is oem 2.2 with adapter from my freind, Shawn  at CBM  motorsport. They also re programmed the ecu ,delete passkey for me, 7k soft cut redline, and program  for more performance. Header off ebay ( you know the rest on how I will fit the down pipe)

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy Reader
2/6/19 4:53 p.m.

New engine braces,1.5 inch square tubes

NermalSnert
NermalSnert Reader
2/6/19 5:52 p.m.

Keep it up man- Looks great!

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy Reader
2/7/19 4:52 p.m.

My welding practice is paying off. Getting better  at it.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/7/19 5:30 p.m.

Checking in with one dork worth of interest. I look forward to more of this build. 

1 2 3 ... 12

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZV6f6uBSqN2ge03skluxAP6sFcetxwRjTQ4bsc3oBpqEexWUy9tWBEhMvS1DnytB