1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12
Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy Reader
3/12/19 5:34 p.m.

Not a 100 percent,about 95 percent ,but good enough for the fiberglass  glass mold to start. I can sand any little imperfections out of the mold, just a few tape marks, but the mold is very nice when you run your hand across it.

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy Reader
3/12/19 5:47 p.m.

a little  red paint..it smoother than it looks.

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy Reader
3/12/19 11:43 p.m.

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy Reader
3/13/19 3:45 p.m.

To get mold perfect,after made, I will pour in water a little at a time, Mark water level.add more water, repeat  a few times,  remove water, sand last time to shape.

Mezzanine
Mezzanine Dork
3/13/19 5:57 p.m.

Mold is coming together nicely. Great shape, and still looks totally sleeper.

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy Reader
3/13/19 7:24 p.m.

Hood on car ( the buck, not fiberglass hood ) eye level site line is good

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy Reader
3/13/19 7:32 p.m.

From outside of car, I will sand mold to get perfect finish.the hood blister looks much higher in some of these photos.esp. The 1st photo .the 4th photo is better. Look of real size. I think colour and light made it look taller.

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy Reader
3/13/19 7:44 p.m.

You can see from other alfas, look at light curves on hoods to get idea on the  curve

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy Reader
3/14/19 2:15 a.m.

Better photos,you be the judge.

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy Reader
3/17/19 3:11 p.m.

Welded in engine mount braces this morning. Found out the front crossmember  is very thin steel. So I will add some L shaped steel on both sides. Must be very flexible  on a oem front end.

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy Reader
3/17/19 3:14 p.m.

It went in very level

I used a bubble gauge and angle meter to set up. Bubble is off in photo, but I compensated for this.have not cleaned spatter yet. Will do soon. Look much nicer.last two photos are across,1 st on in the front of the brace.

Last photo looks bad, I was leaning on the car to.get photo

n

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy Reader
3/17/19 8:45 p.m.

I took.welding classes when I was in the army ( my real m.o.s. was 19d ) but I took the class to learn how to weld. I can weld very pretty lines on all steel. Except for 1984 Alfa Romeo Russian steel.burns thru way to easy from one place to the next, spots back on you. So if my welds look ugly. Well I had to fill holes, go over welds just to overlap them for strength. In few days I will grind them down to a cleaner look, then paint over

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy Reader
3/20/19 12:17 p.m.

have idea for tail lamp panel. Looks to plain back there, so I was at tAps plastics getting lots of fiberglass  for the mold and finished hood, saw this cool plastic sheets, I  thinking epoxy this to a mirror background plastic base. Machine it to fit in back of tail lamp panel, surrounding the 2 tail lamp sections. Right fit around each pair of led round lamps, this will look a lot better than a panel with 2 round tail lamps poking out

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy Reader
3/20/19 12:23 p.m.

Like this

brad131a4
brad131a4 Reader
3/20/19 2:05 p.m.

Sorry haven't been back in awhile. I'm located in Sammamish which wasn't a city when you lived here. It's just north of Issaquah on I90. I may have some oem taillights from a spider I parted out 5 years ago. If you want I'll see if they are in my pile of parts. I've been slowly de hoarding my garage and shed's.l have 2 fiat spiders and my wife's alfa I can't work on because of all the clutter. Hood is starting to get there keep it up.

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy Reader
3/20/19 6:38 p.m.

Brad, thanks...but a young lady took out the lights and damaged the panel also.so I machined a new panel  to accept the new tail lamps. Thank you anyway. Have you though about posting your parts on the alfa romeo bb?

brad131a4
brad131a4 Reader
3/21/19 10:29 p.m.

Yes I have put a few parts on the BB. Most of what I have left are just a bunch of nicnacky parts. Guess I missed the accident part as to why there are the round taillights. The one big item I have is the rear axle. I kept it cause it's a 3.75 lsd unit. I'm thinking about modifing it to work under one of my fiat spiders. Ones getting a turbo which I think can utilize the 3.75 better than the 4.44 in it now. Keep up the good work as I only get to watch others till my garage is cleaned out.

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy Reader
3/26/19 12:59 p.m.

Rear suspension  idea. Now I have Polly bushes  on both ends of my trailing arms. Durring hard corners, I can  lift the outside tire, this is not good, rear suspension is not supple enough. So my idea is keep the front Polly bushes on the front of the arms ( bodyshell  pick up point) and run sperical bearings on the rear of the trailing arms. This will allow  the axle to stay in the ground. I have been working on this idea for a few months, lots of thought process,and imagination  on movement.

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy Reader
3/29/19 7:04 p.m.

Now for fun part. Making motor mount brackets.pan and baseplate in the engine bay. Sitting on sandbags to get level.

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy Reader
3/29/19 7:07 p.m.

Setting now a level with 3 degrees  slope to the rear. After mounts are made, and engine and transmission  are bolted in I can adjust with shims.  Wil trim tunnel body steel  to get bellhousing in the car.

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy Reader
4/12/19 2:20 p.m.

With more power, about 90 to 100 more than oem. I need to fix the suspension,the front roll centre is under ground,and the rear is on top of the diff. That leads to a very steep  roll axis. So I am building a panhard system for my spider. Made mock up to check for fit.have new steel, will build mount next week,as for the front roll centre. I will link into a way to move it, 1 or 2 inch above the ground, this will make for a flatter roll axis.

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy Reader
4/18/19 3:12 p.m.

New dashboard  design. Trying for similar shape as bodyshell.nice and simple, but elegant, shape with foam ( A) line is sheet metal  base, so I can attach it to the body. 2 layers of glass for shape and strength,then a layer of carbon  fiber for finishinstrument  cluster  will be in a pod on top of dash, but set into it a bit.

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy Reader
4/20/19 11:21 a.m.

Foam to shape new dash. Shape foam  to shape, cover with bondo ( so the resin won't eat the foam) sand bondo to finel shape, 2 layers  of fiberglass, sand smooth, top layer carbon fiber.

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy Reader
4/20/19 7:25 p.m.

More paper design  work.

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy Reader
4/21/19 10:41 p.m.

This is how you squeeze  a 6 foot 1 body in back of a Alfa Romeo spider, the seats are in the carthe areas was working to remove the old top. Lucky for me I still race bicycle so at 175 pounds, I fit.

1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2hAX1iE2CUXrlLP9iQxfMBLzO5glkVCiUjy9hnrVtqanBNRdMaZ9KZGVWF2iHiXp