Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps HalfDork
8/4/13 4:26 p.m.

I saw an ad for (3) Audi Quattro’s on the Peoria, IL Craigslist on July 21st. Not having any real interest, but thinking others might, I posted them on the $2013 Classifieds. After a couple of days and a few comments from the enablers on the board, I decided to e-mail the seller to get his number to get more info on the cars. A day or so later he emailed me his number and I gave the guy a call. His name is Mark and he is an Audi nut. He said he has had them for a bit and was actually still daily driving the black one up until a few weeks ago when the fuel line started leaking on it. He decided to get a newer Audi that his dad had a lead on. He thought a guy could make two pretty nice running cars and still have a complete parts car.
After talking with him for a bit, I decided to go up that weekend and take a look at them since it is only about 1 ½ hours away. Filled up the truck with gas and hooked up the trailer and headed up Saturday morning with my buddy Mike. I called while we were on the way, only to have his mom answer the phone and say he was out of town for the weekend helping his brother move. She said come on up since her husband was still around and he would be glad to show me the cars. Relieved it wasn’t going to be a wasted trip, we kept on driving. We got to Peoria and met mom and dad. Dad is a great guy, and knows a ton about the cars. Turns out the parts one was his daily driver for 13 years and it finally gave up the ghost and he parked it. He said he is a Mercedes tech at a small shop in town. He gave me the background on all the cars, and was very helpful. He said he just wanted them out of the driveway since they were taking up room and at the moment, none of them ran. He opened the garage door and said that if I took all three cars, I could have all the 4000 Quattro parts he has, since they aren’t messing with them any more, and his son will never take the time to put the stuff on eBay. I haggled for a bit on the price, and ended up getting all three for $1,200. As an added bonus, he said that he would repair the black car’s fuel lines so it would be drive-able again. Smoking deal. We traded cash for titles, and I told him to give me a call in a week or so when the car was done and all the parts were loaded up and I would come up with a bigger trailer and pick up everything. Here are some pics of one of the cars I brought home along with some of the parts. We sorted parts for about an hour after getting home, and I think I can sell all the extra parts and pay for all three cars. Time will tell. I will update again after I pick up the other two cars and the rest of the parts.

photo image_zpsc74cd721.jpg  photo image_zpsdbb0ddf7.jpg  photo image_zps8367cfef.jpg

Here are the other 2 cars coming home yesterday morning.It was a squeeze getting them on the trailer, and we could only go about 55mph on the way home, but we got everything on so we wouldn't have to go back.  photo photo_zps0366efd2.jpg

Here are a couple of shots of the cars here at home.

photo image_zps93bd4871.jpg  photo image_zps8cc378d2.jpg  photo image_zps6938911d.jpg  photo image_zps5d7e377a.jpg  photo image_zpsca0caae9.jpg  photo image_zpsbee40cdf.jpg A couple of shots of all the extra parts I got.  photo image_zpsaf87a9fe.jpg  photo image_zps1e1d5c23.jpg And a final shot of extra parts after sorting.  photo image_zpsfc403b61.jpg Done for the day. Won't have time to mess again till next weekend. Will start sorting stuff for eBay and make a checklist of what each car needs. Planning on keeping the beige one to drive, and the black one as a back up. White car has blown head gasket and clutch problems, so I plan on putting it in the corner of the shop up on stand, and taking parts off it to keep the other 2 going.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
8/4/13 4:41 p.m.

I will be watching this build.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/4/13 4:43 p.m.

Thats a great score.

I used to have an Audi 5000 quattro, Audis of that era are quite good and easy to work on. The only thing that drove me insane was the electric part, but it was always a window or sunroof or something stupid like that.

Billy_Bottle_Caps
8/4/13 4:47 p.m.

In reply to Slippery:

Would love to have a 10-valve turbo in it someday out of a 5000, will see how things go. I know what you mean about the switches though, mine have issues as well.I have a box of like 50+ switches though, so that should be a painless fix I hopeThanks for the comments.

BBC

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq Reader
8/4/13 5:35 p.m.

very cool. considering I paid more for one car I'd say you got quite the deal. all three being CS is like a cherry on top as it's arguably the best 4000 built. pretty rugged cars overall, and if you have an issue you'll have plenty of parts for years to come. as far as the 5000 swap goes, it's a very cheap engine to be had these days as the 4000 crowd shifts it's interest to the V8. shopping around will find a suitable engine complete for a couple hundred dollars. My car came with a 10vt and as you know it's getting closer and closer to the transplant stage. I'll be sure to keep you posted on it's progress and hope to see much more to come from this thread as well.

Great find!

singleslammer
singleslammer Dork
8/4/13 5:50 p.m.

In reply to Billy_Bottle_Caps:

I happen to know where a complete rolled 5000 wagon is. Turbo manual wagon to be specific. It is in central Missouri.

Billy_Bottle_Caps
8/4/13 6:39 p.m.
2K4Kcsq wrote: very cool. considering I paid more for one car I'd say you got quite the deal. all three being CS is like a cherry on top as it's arguably the best 4000 built. pretty rugged cars overall, and if you have an issue you'll have plenty of parts for years to come. as far as the 5000 swap goes, it's a very cheap engine to be had these days as the 4000 crowd shifts it's interest to the V8. shopping around will find a suitable engine complete for a couple hundred dollars. My car came with a 10vt and as you know it's getting closer and closer to the transplant stage. I'll be sure to keep you posted on it's progress and hope to see much more to come from this thread as well. Great find!

Thanks for the post 2K4Kcsq! I am blaming you for this, I hope you know

Billy_Bottle_Caps
8/4/13 6:40 p.m.
singleslammer wrote: In reply to Billy_Bottle_Caps: I happen to know where a complete rolled 5000 wagon is. Turbo manual wagon to be specific. It is in central Missouri.

PM me like to talk about that

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq Reader
8/5/13 8:28 a.m.

muhahahaha. atleast you have someone to blame, I'm not even sure where my obsession started, I just know I had to have one before ever driving or even taking a ride in one of these old quattros. I hope YOU know I plan on continuing to be the evil guy on your shoulder as I push forward on the turbo swap!

Billy_Bottle_Caps
8/5/13 9:35 a.m.

In reply to 2K4Kcsq:

Thanks, just what I need, another enabler that has a car addiction too

Your car is sweet hope to see it in person someday

BBC

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq Reader
8/5/13 5:05 p.m.

thanks man, it's come along way in a year and a half. with any luck i'll be at the GRC this year. . . whether or not I run as a contestant or an exhibition has yet to be determined

Billy_Bottle_Caps
8/5/13 7:34 p.m.

In reply to 2K4Kcsq:

I am hoping to make it as well. If I do I will buy you a beer..or two..

corytate
corytate SuperDork
8/5/13 8:05 p.m.

damnit.
That was a screamin deal, I really like these things. I found a 94 s4 on CL the other day for less than $4k, and I'm still depressed I couldn't get it. That turbo 5 is awesome

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq Reader
8/5/13 9:22 p.m.

sounds like a great plan! I'd be happy to return the favor

Billy_Bottle_Caps
8/6/13 8:23 p.m.

In reply to corytate:

Keep looking man the deals are out there

BBC

type85
type85 New Reader
8/24/13 6:19 p.m.

Great score!! How's the rust on the cars?? I'd build the car with the least rust. Here's a great community for support, I've been on there for over 10 years!!

Quattroworld

Hardcore 5cyl. and EFI Audi guys: Motorgeek

For sale audi only: Audifans

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AMkv0FEjJJ3sajdYTK1JuGsIVvJtW7kxaXdaInjnDjpoB8VQFsQM1zoZSAQX6dWp