1 2 3
mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
10/28/19 9:55 a.m.

Did you hear, the 2020 $2000 Challenge special class is Radwood, a celebration of all things car and culture from the 80's and 90's. I'm excited. 

I'm just rolling into my mid 40's. This means I was a dry sponge for the culture that media threw at us like a fire hose in the 80's. That decade started with me watching cartoons and ended with me about to get my drivers permit. BMX and skateboards and dirt bikes and MTV in my little farming town. Just thinking about it makes me happy. 

So I should build a car, right? Maaaayyybe. Life is full, both from projects and family. I'll be arranging Gastropods again next year, but actually at the event instead of at home recovering from surgery. The Charity taco stand needs to happen. The 2020 Challenge and life around it is going to be busy. But I want louvered glasses and a mesh tank top and a rad haircut, I want in on this. 

Enter my Raleigh Rampar. I bought this about 15 years ago to use for a 150 mile charity ride after becoming bothered by the arms race that is recreational cycling. I think I paid $30, put new tires on and had a blast. My Kids have all ridden it up and down the street over the years and, clearly, it's been sitting a while. It's not a cool bike. It never was. It's a lower mid end bike shop bike for kids who couldn't afford an actual cool bike. It's a step up from a grocery store Huffy of the era, but only slightly, and is very representative of what was just out of my reach during that time. 

It's going to get a repaint, some new decals, proper pads, and of course Skyway Mag Wheels. I'm staying coaster brake because that's how I roll. I like the clean lines and I like skids. 

What else? I'm crossing my fingers for a scooter, but it has to be juuuuust the right one. I lusted after a mid 80's Honda Spree in those years before I could drive a car, and that hasn't gone away. If I can find the right one, then maybe. Already discussing hair cuts with my wife. I'll be looking for a jean jacket. 

Anyone who wants to join my BMX gang for 2020 is welcome. It's going to be rad. 

spacecadet
spacecadet GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/28/19 10:00 a.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

I'd be in for BMX game, mountain bikes were my thing growing up. But i need to get on a bike, so this is a decent excuse. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/28/19 10:02 a.m.

I am impressed that Seth rode 150 miles on a BMX.

mazdeuce - Seth
10/28/19 10:06 a.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

The route that year was 176 miles over two days if I remember correctly. Started outside Houston and ended in Austin. Coaster brake was a little sketch on the hills coming into town but otherwise it was fantastic. It's a good bike. 

Vigo
Vigo MegaDork
10/28/19 10:49 a.m.

I got into cars because i was curious how things worked, but i couldnt get my hands on a car until i was 14. I actually partially took apart my bike when i was 5 because it bothered me so much that i couldnt figure out how the brakes worked. I didn't get all that far, and gave up and put it back together, but the foreshadowing of my future was pretty clear i suppose.  Anyway, 10 years later im 15 working in a machine shop doing valve jobs and stuff, 16 rebuild my first engine (of my own), 17 im in dual credit college auto tech classes, blah blah and then finally, at around 20 or 21, right around the time i become ASE Master Certified...

I finally learned how the coaster brake i tried to take apart when i was 5 worked. cheeky

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/29/19 8:33 a.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

The route that year was 176 miles over two days if I remember correctly. Started outside Houston and ended in Austin. Coaster brake was a little sketch on the hills coming into town but otherwise it was fantastic. It's a good bike. 

176 miles on a BMX bike?!? Holy hell. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
10/29/19 8:46 a.m.
dyintorace said:
mazdeuce - Seth said:

It'd be rough but possible on that geometry. On my current with microdrive and basically no seat? Lolnope. 

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/29/19 8:58 a.m.
dyintorace said:
mazdeuce - Seth said:

Yeah, that. I guess the maxjax makes more sense, since clearly Seth must not have been able to stand up straight the last 15 years. Or walk. How do you have knees, still?!?

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
10/29/19 9:16 a.m.

I kind of want to build something like this for a OneLap pit/sighting-lap bike... but I don't know box bikes well enough to piece one together.  Looking forward to the build.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UltraDork
10/29/19 4:36 p.m.

Oh no, now BMX bikes and 80's cars.  Am I going to have to make the challenge in 2020?  I've got a number of old school BMX bikes/parts in my attic.  I even have two GT Zoot Scoots, one in lavender one in pink......

I think you'd win the whole thing if you could find an '84 CRX, right hand drive, with a GT Pro Performer in the bike rack on top.  (Let's see how many old BMX guys know what I'm referring to.)

-Rob

gumby
gumby GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/29/19 4:41 p.m.
rob_lewis said:

with a GT Pro Performer in the bike rack on top. 

Too rich for my blood, but I'll bring my Redline along

shagles
shagles New Reader
10/29/19 4:56 p.m.

If only I still had my old GT Dyno....

mazdeuce - Seth
10/29/19 5:19 p.m.

So that's it then? Bunch of semi old guys in silly sunglasses riding around the Challenge in a rad BMX gang? 

Let's do this. Throw your bikes together, throw them up on the forum, throw them on the car and head to the Challenge. 

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/29/19 5:21 p.m.

Enabler bait taken

mazdeuce - Seth
10/29/19 5:25 p.m.

In reply to hobiercr :

That is EXACTLY what I'm looking for. I need one with a clear title that is about 700 miles closer to me. 

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/29/19 5:45 p.m.

I need to find a black and gold Ross Piranha to relive my 80's.  With a laid back seat post, gold chain, and white wheel discs just like i did when i was 10

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
10/29/19 8:42 p.m.

I'll follow this just because I love bikes. The haro master I got used in the mid 90s and destroyed is out of my price range these days 

slowbird
slowbird HalfDork
10/29/19 9:09 p.m.

I always wanted one of the GT bikes with the flame design. Like this I suppose:

photo 1.JPG

akylekoz
akylekoz SuperDork
10/30/19 6:06 a.m.

In reply to slowbird :

I currently ride that bike in black and flames.  It's my At the cabin bike, used to be my wife's mountain bike.  That bike has never missed a shift or been adjusted, it just works.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
10/30/19 6:36 a.m.

I still have my Diamondback mountain bike I bought in 1996 or 1994. Unfortunately I got rid of all my BMX bikes around then because I got into downhill mountain biking for a while.

mazdeuce - Seth
10/30/19 6:45 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

You can still be in the gang, but you have to ride in the back. laugh

Think we can get the GRM staffers to let us use the timing equipment? BMX autocross sounds absurdly fun. 

gumby
gumby GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/30/19 7:35 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

I traded the 1990 Redline in my last post for a 1993 Diamondback MTB that I still have and use as a commuter.

The Redline was the first bike I purchased on my own; with lawn cutting money. It replaced a hand-me-down Huffy with wheel discs. I had to buy the Redline back and build it up after I realized the mistake I made getting rid of it.

I already have the BMX, I just need to find a couple No Fear T-shirts 

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/30/19 7:38 a.m.

Seriously someone find me a ross piranha not at ebay crackhead prices 

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/30/19 8:54 a.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

Think we can get the GRM staffers to let us use the timing equipment? BMX autocross sounds absurdly fun. 

i assume you mean full heats, not single person against clock?  because i'm on the fence between a freestyle bike and an actual racer.  bar spins, motherberkeleyer!  do you speak it?!?!

mazdeuce - Seth
10/30/19 9:26 a.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair :

I'm mixed on that. Full heats would be the best. I could 100% beat you head to head and you would have to relive my mullet floating away ahead of you for the rest of your life. On the flip side, the chances of us hurting each other go up considerably when we start riding elbows out. 

I'm going to have to work on my bar spins. And my wheelies. And all sorts of stuff. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0rUdIPOEwS2vkIZ92XNXA053WODAYTBqnv5unUTmB04RX04MwKklYUlvsAyqcKua