1 ... 3 4 5 6 7
malibuguy
malibuguy GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/12/19 9:42 a.m.

Welp...

Got greedy with the boost, turned it up to 18psi...went up in the mountains and scattered it LOL

rod #4 let go

malibuguy
5/12/19 9:45 a.m.

So I decided to move forward with the 1nzfe swap.

Motor is in!

malibuguy
5/12/19 9:50 a.m.

video i put together with both Floyd and Earl

https://youtu.be/-_TGoz9VPWo

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse PowerDork
5/13/19 7:32 a.m.

1NZFE....

Image result for no E36 M3

malibuguy
5/19/19 10:09 a.m.

I tried matching the paint with 2 closest colors of rattle i can get from waltuckey.  Not bad until in direct daylight...grrr

malibuguy
7/25/19 9:36 p.m.

Harness is in from a friend in Canada.  Once I get some time ill start digging up pin outs and hope to make it all play nice with the tercel

mycars12
mycars12 New Reader
7/28/19 6:30 p.m.

Definitely keeping my eyes on this. Will be a sweet swap when she is running. The potential when boosted is insane. What cripples the e series is the slave cams. So much more potential if it wasn't an eco motor. 

malibuguy
7/28/19 7:35 p.m.

In reply to mycars12 :

The cams being slave cams do not really hold em back.  The new record for an E series is 607whp just recently set

Cory
Cory None
10/29/19 3:46 p.m.

did you use the Echo trans? or did the 1NZ fit to the same bolt pattern

I found a tercel for cheap, and am contemplating this same swap, but my technical expertise isn't as strong as yours... 

malibuguy
10/29/19 8:11 p.m.
Cory said:

did you use the Echo trans? or did the 1NZ fit to the same bolt pattern

I found a tercel for cheap, and am contemplating this same swap, but my technical expertise isn't as strong as yours... 

Yes I used the matching trans and really its the bell housing thats specific

Cory
Cory New Reader
10/30/19 10:59 a.m.

oh good point... i forgot that aspect of the c-series trans. 

any progress on the wiring ?

malibuguy
10/30/19 6:58 p.m.

In reply to Cory :

Not a damn thing lol.  Ive been focusing what little extra time i do have on my 1uz Malibu project

malibuguy
8/1/20 12:46 p.m.

Recently ive been putting in time trying to finger out the harness'.

I am sure as E36 M3 glad I bought factory service manuals for the wiring for both the Tercel and the Echo  (harness and ECU are 00-01 Echo) for the 1nz

malibuguy
9/25/20 11:59 p.m.

Not too much new.  As with my last post, I probably spent the better part of 3weeks at that time just chasing, labeling, removing, etc wires.  I think I have it all down to the point of starting to integrate the wiring.

My only real update since then I picked up a hurt, but free spare engine that came with an exhaust manifold that I promptly hacked and will be able to make fit with no problems.  My plan is to make an OEMish (maybe mildly improved) manifold for the car then at a later date build a proper engineered header to take its place.

First I still need to source echo/X shifter cables at a minimum because their routing may dictate some curvy bits off the collector.

malibuguy
malibuguy GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/7/21 9:34 p.m.

Still waiting to get shift cables.  Someone locally is snatching up every manual scion bits as soon as they hit the yard.

On ebay used cables go for $200.  Id spend $200 on new but I cannot get new.

So I am just waiting.

As stated on my other build thread I am reproducing my strut bar to sell to other Terseo owners which is really neat.

malibuguy
1/17/21 6:37 a.m.

Got lucky and found a yard on ebay selling a shifter and cables way below market.

I am glad I did get a shifter because there was 2 main differences and that was the the side to side bellcrank? arm was a different length and how the cables secure to then base is different. 

Here they are after I already shortened the tercel shifter to match.  Had to remove approximately 5/8".

Luckily the shifter to cable attachments are the same.  I just had to harvest a bushing from a random Toyota cable I had to make up the pin diameter difference.

No pics of the cable mounting points yet as I have not dealt with that at this moment.  But what I plan to do is essentially hog out the tercel base to allow the scion cables to sit down into it then make bracket that will bolt down over top the cables to hold in place.

I cannot express how excited I am to finally start making progress again...and go figure I get slammed with work at my shop so my projects have to wait some more.

V6Buicks
V6Buicks New Reader
2/3/21 11:45 a.m.

This is super fun to follow.  Thanks for sharing it!

malibuguy
2/8/21 6:54 p.m.

Floyd now has the correct amount of pedals now

malibuguy
2/9/21 7:48 p.m.

Shifter is sorted...

Goofy but sorted and works very well.  For whatever reason it was not happy until I repositioned the bellcrank on the transmission.  I think with how that particular cable had to be routed on the inside.  All gears click perfectly.

So I made this finger contraption to hold the cables down in place after grinding out some material to allow the scion cables to sit like they want and hold them down perfectly.  No movement at all.  

Hope to get the dash back in this week and this will check off a major bit of work to put this car one step closer to getting back on the road

malibuguy
2/12/21 6:26 p.m.

Dash back in yesterday.

Today I got the manifold modified to work. 

I have about 10" coming off the collector into a vband.  That way eventually I can build a proper header for it down the road and test it.

As from the get go, fantastic work here.

malibuguy
6/10/21 10:18 p.m.

Put in work the last 2 days, no real pictures to show.

I have been going over my wiring notes and labels and just running things down.  Finally made THE LIST of connections to make.  

That begins tomorrow.

I hope to make everything work as stock, I am even hooking up all the purge valves cuz luckily...the echo ECU I am using has the same number of them.  So in theory...this could pass emissions inspection should the need desire, however I am keeping my historic plates.

I plan to attempt to crank it up next week...depending how I figure out the fuel line.  I also got to put in another fuel pump hanger as i stole my modified one to put into a turbo Paseo convertible I built.

Then sort out radiator hoses and sort out whatever is left, then tidy up the place.  My birthday is July 15...would be cool have it driving by then, even if its not 100%.

malibuguy
6/14/21 8:15 p.m.

This was about halfway thru my progress the last few days.

I am about 8 electrical connections plus I might need to redo 2 wires to go thru the body plugs so the harness can be removed entirely.  In the midst of sorting out starting signal, NSW and clutch switch wiring I believe I just entirely forgot about that.  Being that the car was an automatic and the ecu and wiring are for a manual it got pretty confusing especially since I am bypassing all of that.   I get confused easily so that mess mixed with similar colored wires got to me.  

All the under hood wiring is sorted otherwise.  Its literally harness to car stuff now. 

I also had to switch out my knock sensor to the one from my spare early motor to match the early harness.  Got lucky there and saved $100 there.

Also realized the factory type air intake will not clear the hood...I want to keep an airbox so I will have to get creative there.

malibuguy
6/25/21 4:46 p.m.

just after 2 years into this project AND IT RUNS!!!!1111

sort of...I have a power wire mixed up somewhere so I have to manually supply 12v to the ecu but it runs, revs up and sounds CRISP.

So on the short list is to figure out that wire, redo a few other connections that I did wrong that wont allow me to fully remove the harness from the car.

Next is cooling system hoses and what not and then something for the air intake as the stock 1nz air box assembly is too tall for the low Tercel hoodline and then my favorite part...EXHAUST.  I bought a very specific exhaust system to use the muffler on this car.

malibuguy
7/12/21 5:30 p.m.

Exhaust done

The exhaust is 2" 409 thru the 300cell cat and out the Borla resonator, then for the rest of it its used 304 (from an exhaust I had built for my wifes previous Spark) then it steps to 2.25" over the axle then 2.5, then 2.75" into the Greddy Evo muffler.  The muffler and resonator are new nos stuff from other kits and my cat is actually the original unit I ran on my white tercel from like 12-13years ago.  So essentially The only money in this is the vband at the modified manifold, the flex, SS hanger rod and my labor.  Of course all TIG welded and backpurged.

Thats about all Ive really done.  Today I realized with the help of a friend I need a tach signal amplifier to run my factory tach. 

I also plugged in the scanner and it works perfectly!

Unfortunately having it being able to move even breifly under its own power by my bday is just not going to happen.  But I am close.

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
v7cPoDRqySa5VKEvlnUicoSGMEE3oPAwfCDdGv2ejcwHZuZpMo1PfV3GR4fKl0PG