1 2
Mazdax605
Mazdax605 SuperDork
5/27/13 7:17 p.m.

I got the suspension all back together with one outer tie rod that I am not totally happy with, but it is back on four wheels, and I drove it around the block. So far I am amazed at the new stance even though it isn't that much higher than it was before. I did notice that steering it around my driveway to back into the garage was effortless, or it felt like I needed way less effort to move it around where it usually is a difficult task.

Changed out the tail lights lenses with new Mazda units that I bought over the winter as well. Gonna change the oil later this week, and maybe change the pinion flange seal that seems leaky. Think I may change the fluid in the transmission, and rear end as well.

I will get picture of the new "stance" tomorrow.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 SuperDork
5/29/13 9:02 p.m.

Got a couple of pics of it today loaded up with scrap decking. The front definitely sits higher than usual, and the rear sits a bit lower than I would like, but I think it is level (well not now with the lumber in it).

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 SuperDork
5/30/13 9:08 p.m.

That was 840 lbs of scrap PT lumber. Truck weighed in at 2700 lbs on the scale when empty. The guy running the place says it weighs in 20 lb increments, so I am guessing it isn't exactly 2700 lbs. Pretty light weight for a truck I suppose though.

RexSeven
RexSeven UltraDork
5/30/13 9:14 p.m.

It's so cool to see a REPU doing truck stuff.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory HalfDork
5/31/13 2:45 p.m.

Was that you at the Wal-Mart car show in Halifax?

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 SuperDork
5/31/13 3:05 p.m.

Don't think I have been there with the truck yet this spring/summer, but I have been there in the past. Basically I have the only REPU in south-eastern MA, so if you saw one it was me.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory HalfDork
5/31/13 4:03 p.m.

Yeah, sorry I meant last summer. I remember looking longingly at a rotary powered RUPU there. Took me this long to realize it was yours!

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 SuperDork
6/2/13 9:58 p.m.

I an so glad I changed this stuff out. Going to get an alignment on Tuesday at a local shop that does good alignments. I am hearing a rattle from the truck now, but I am not sure it is anything aside from the tailgate, latches, or both that I am just not used to hearing after not driving the trick for a while.

I think the exhaust may be the next thing I tackle. It is a cobbled together system of what looks like RX-7 parts, and it doesn't allow for the spare tire to mounted under the truck as it should, due to the muffler being too close to that area. Not sure what I an going to do about the exhaust yet, but anything has to be better than what has been on there (barely as the hangers are either broken or non-existent) since I have owned it. That is 10 plus years now. Can you buy heavy wall tubing like most aftermarket rotary exhaust are made of? If so could any muffler place bend it to make a custom system for me?

It is like a member of the family now.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 SuperDork
8/9/13 6:39 p.m.

SO I bought a spare stock color grille to go on my new red project 74 REPU. I decided before I put it to use on that truck that I would have a look at it on my nice green truck. Ever since I bought my green truck 10+ years ago it has had this black grille on it.

I put the grey colored one on, and I am not sure what to think quite yet. It needs some touching up I guess, and maybe once I get around to putting the chrome bumper back on it may look better.

What do you guys think?

Chris

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
8/9/13 6:45 p.m.

Whichever truck is going to be more "show" should get the stock grill. Use the workhorse for the black one.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 SuperDork
8/9/13 6:51 p.m.

I work the green one even though it is real nice. It is a truck after all.

carbon
carbon New Reader
8/9/13 7:21 p.m.

Nice truck! I vote it restomod and boost!

Travis_K
Travis_K UltraDork
8/10/13 4:49 p.m.
The0retical wrote: I've been watching one of these, a "75", go from 15k to 6k in the LA area. I'd like to pull the trigger on that so badly but I can only imagine what I would be stepping into with that... There's also the fact that I really don't want to deal with the whole carbureted rotary CA emissions thing since I believe that ends in 1974. You sure do have a good looking truck though.

75 is still smog exempt. You are right though that it sounds like a hassle, the smog laws here have pretty much meant the end of rx7s in California.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/10/13 6:58 p.m.

I think the black looks better as it is right now.

crankwalk
crankwalk HalfDork
8/11/13 10:30 a.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: I think the black looks better as it is right now.

x2

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3zsvESufSQ9U7OM8h2yqzr9O01pjeK0BPQi6MCkiQihZhTYq62yD1j5cbH9mH5cI