1 2
fidelity101
fidelity101 HalfDork
1/30/13 7:36 a.m.
Kenny_McCormic wrote: I think its the last operating Blockbuster in existence. Located at the corner of 9 mile Rd and Livernois Ave in Ferndale MI.

You live right near me! There is also one on at 11.5 mile and woodward.

Also thats ones thing I do love about Michigan, you can practically register anything.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltraDork
1/30/13 8:39 a.m.

I'd actually stay with the steelies, they suit the car. There is a lot to be said for tires appropriate to the size and weight of the car for fun on the street. Never, never again will I run steam roller tires on a street car. A second set of wheels for the track maybee, but I like fun at legal speeds

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic HalfDork
1/30/13 2:41 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: I'd actually stay with the steelies, they suit the car. There is a lot to be said for tires appropriate to the size and weight of the car for fun on the street. Never, never again will I run steam roller tires on a street car. A second set of wheels for the track maybee, but I like fun at legal speeds

One of the moments that really made the project for me, was when I took it out for the first time to SE Mich to troll Woodward(don't get me wrong here, I like that parade of awesome). I exited 94 (note that the car usually lives near Jackson, it goes down the highway fine) onto Telegraph, hung a left under the big overpass, and buried the loud pedal, it actually had enough power to under steer itself to outer edge of my lane before I got on the steering a bit harder. Its so narrow that you have some room to play. Finding another set of these tires, let alone for $60 a set in 6 ply may prove difficult. The only two sellers of 145R13 tires available in the USA currently are Vredstein and Coker at $70+ each, I really hate that rubber got expensive just as I got into cars.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk Dork
1/30/13 6:21 p.m.

This might be an "opportunity" for someone. :)

http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/cto/3570052039.html

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic HalfDork
2/2/13 9:40 p.m.
DeadSkunk wrote: This might be an "opportunity" for someone. :) http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/cto/3570052039.html

I found a source of the proper 145R13 tires too, if anybody is interested. http://simpletire.com/runway-p145-80r13-100ar648-tires

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic Dork
5/18/13 3:44 p.m.

I AM A MORON

So, today I got around to playing with the ignition, new wires, cap and rotor, put the new coil back in cleaning the nasty looking grounds that went there while I was at it(remember this, you will need it later), plugged in a junkyard volvo ignition module. Changed the oil with M1 15w50 and gave it a go, nothing. No spark.

Ohmed all the wiring, checked for crank signal, all good.

Plug in old, presumed dead module, STARTS INSTANTLY, run it around the block, PULLS HARD(for a yugo), RUNS WIDE OPEN WITHOUT PROBLEM.

WHAT THE BERKLEY

So gears begin turning. The ground wire for the ignition brain terminates at the coil bracket. Replacing the dead coil in an empty lot in Detroit as the sun set disturbed that. Bad ground for brain=bad spark. I cleaned it today and whadya know, it runs now.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic Dork
5/19/13 11:42 p.m.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S04oGz7wo3Y&feature=youtu.be

Exhaust cam

Also finally got the speedo working today, its great knowing how fast I'm going without a GPS. It reads 5mph fast, but whatever.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic Dork
5/28/13 11:23 p.m.

Found my overheating problem.  photo P05-28-13_18-551_zps5796d364.jpg Hard to see, but the thermostat housing has no thermostat in it, note that this car uses a bypass thermostat, Im surprised it worked as well as it did.

jgrewe
jgrewe New Reader
5/29/13 5:40 p.m.

Isn't that engine the FIAT 1300? I used to race an X1/9, revved the snot out of that thing to make 75hp. My friend Jim Susko made a progressive slide throttle for his auto-x X1/9, on a Haltech it pulled like a freight train. Something like 115ftlbs of torque IIRC.

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
5/30/13 8:51 a.m.
jgrewe wrote: Isn't that engine the FIAT 1300? I used to race an X1/9, revved the snot out of that thing to make 75hp. My friend Jim Susko made a progressive slide throttle for his auto-x X1/9, on a Haltech it pulled like a freight train. Something like 115ftlbs of torque IIRC.

His should be the 1100 based on the same block as the 1300 and 1500 found in the X1/9 with some minor changes. 1300 was only available in the GVX (carbureted 61hp) and GV+ (fuel injected 67hp)

beans
beans Reader
5/30/13 9:19 a.m.

I love this car.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic Dork
5/30/13 2:07 p.m.

Engine is a license built carbed Lampredi Fiat SOHC 1116, rated for 55 hp@6000 and 52 ft/lbs@4600 stock IIRC, I suspect its putting out a hair more than that with the 2" exhaust now that I've got the ignition sorted. I dont plan on upping the power, the whole point of the car is you drive it at 9/10ths to keep up with traffic, hence the 145mm kei truck tires.

crankwalk
crankwalk Reader
5/30/13 3:11 p.m.

You may have answered this but what kind of MPG are you getting real world with it?

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic Dork
5/30/13 3:25 p.m.

On a stock tune with all the emissions deleted and the distributor hooked to the wrong vacuum port. Driving from Jackson to Dearborn on I 94 at 65 mph, then Dearborn to Woodward ave, then cruising and flogging for a couple hours, got ~38 mpg (dead odometer, miles approximated) or something nutty like that. The carb is a tiny Weber like two barrel, 22mm IIRC. Once I've got it going this year, now timed to 12 degrees instead of the stock 10 and advancing properly, I'll see what it will do on the real odometer, the gas gauge doesn't work, so I fill it often.

crankwalk
crankwalk Reader
5/30/13 3:35 p.m.
Kenny_McCormic wrote: On a stock tune with all the emissions deleted and the distributor hooked to the wrong vacuum port. Driving from Jackson to Dearborn on I 94 at 65 mph, then Dearborn to Woodward ave, then cruising and flogging for a couple hours, got ~38 mpg (dead odometer, miles approximated) or something nutty like that. The carb is a tiny Weber like two barrel, 22mm IIRC. Once I've got it going this year, now timed to 12 degrees instead of the stock 10 and advancing properly, I'll see what it will do on the real odometer, the gas gauge doesn't work, so I fill it often.

Ahh ok that's about what I figured. Fill it often but 15 bucks at a time.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic Dork
5/30/13 4:16 p.m.

Yup, I run 93 in it because why not, the tank only holds 8 gallons.

beans
beans Reader
5/31/13 8:03 a.m.

That's a big reason why I love my Accord, I can drive the snot out of it(especially now with everything back to stock) and I hardly break the speed limit/get looked at.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic Dork
6/10/13 4:52 p.m.

Found my high beam problem, both burned out at the same time, despite being different lights. Wiring was fine for once.

Nashco
Nashco UberDork
6/11/13 3:23 a.m.

Check the alternator output? Overvoltage can cause bulbs to fail pretty quick...worth putting a multimeter on the alternator just to make sure you don't have something else going on that might cause bigger problems if left alone.

Bryce

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic Dork
6/11/13 3:29 a.m.

It was 14 volts last I checked, but this is a fresh $40 remanned Magneti Marelli after all. Its weird, it doesnt start charging at start up till it sees some throttle, works fine at idle after its seen some revs.

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
6/11/13 7:37 a.m.
Kenny_McCormic wrote: It was 14 volts last I checked, but this is a fresh $40 remanned Magneti Marelli after all. Its weird, it doesnt start charging at start up till it sees some throttle, works fine at idle after its seen some revs.

That's common on all alternators and I'm sure someone else here can explain it better than I. There is a wire that should go from ignition to alternator which energizes the field to start it charging. If that wire is not there or doesn't have current applied then you need to bring up the revs to energize the field. Common issue when doing alternator swaps in older cars and most guys just live with it rather than sort out the relatively simple electrical issue.

Now hopefully someone will jump in and correct that and explain it much better as I only have a foggy memory of what I've read on the subject.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic Dork
6/11/13 2:19 p.m.

I figured it was my fault for using a cheaper X 1/9 alternator. Its actually kinda convenient on a motor with a hotwired choke and no functioning fast idle system. Start it and just let it idle for a while, then put the load on.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sSoTCrM4FfsK9MnE3f5Nd1gwvx1f4VXpYuts6gc7XswJXuXX7imZuh23VDbqGRmC