Fobroader
Fobroader New Reader
3/6/14 12:28 p.m.

A very good friend of mine went and bought himself a an FR-S about 2 months ago. He went to the dealer to look at a Corolla as a cheap commuter and his wife hated the looks of the thing, can't blame her, pointed at the FR-S in the corner and said, "oohhhh...you should get that one!!". Lucky bugger...anyways, within our group of friends him and I are the only gear heads really and hes kind of designated me as crewchief/head mechanic, I think he only likes me for my heated, oversize double garage He wants to take it to the road course this summer.

First things first..exhaust. Tomei 3" titanium cat back. Reasonably loud but more throaty and bass-ey than annoying.

In preparation for the forthcoming supercharger, he's decided to upgrade the ancillaries....new radiator, oil catch can.

Next up....hopefully an oil cooler and the blower

Cone_Junkie
Cone_Junkie SuperDork
3/6/14 12:33 p.m.

I bet he's going to love it. Such cool little cars. I have a friend that has a supercharged (automatic) FRS and is pretty competitive in SM with it.

I know he upgraded the intercooler in the offseason with a tune and is impressed with the results. SoB actually bested my times last event by .048.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
3/6/14 12:51 p.m.

I just wish I fit comfortably in one. I WANT to like them, but I don't feel comfortable inside them.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltraDork
3/6/14 1:12 p.m.

I love them. It's hard not to buy one.

ae86andkp61
ae86andkp61 GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/6/14 2:46 p.m.

I also love them. It wasn't hard to justify buying one.

NOHOME
NOHOME Dork
3/6/14 7:10 p.m.

Nice cars, but Miata is still the answer

ae86andkp61
ae86andkp61 GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/6/14 9:30 p.m.
NOHOME wrote: Nice cars, but Miata is still the answer

Except not when the question is, "Coupe?"

LainfordExpress
LainfordExpress HalfDork
3/7/14 10:13 a.m.

Yeah, then it's "Miata + Hardtop."

johnp2
johnp2 Reader
3/7/14 10:18 a.m.

Which radiator did he go with?

singleslammer
singleslammer Dork
3/7/14 10:51 a.m.

Yeah, well sometimes you have to say "Honey, it has back seats so therefore, family car." Doesn't matter that they are more useless than a 911's but hey, their present.

Fobroader
Fobroader New Reader
3/7/14 11:35 a.m.

In reply to singleslammer:

Thats how he was able to sneak it by the wife "but honey...we can totally get a baby seat in the back".

NOHOME
NOHOME Dork
3/7/14 5:07 p.m.
singleslammer wrote:
Yeah, well sometimes you have to say "Honey, it has back seats so therefore, family car." Doesn't matter that they are more useless than a 911's but hey, their present.

Since I own an MGB Gt and a FRS, that makes me the president of the "Stupid Rear Seat" Society.

That said, when the daughter division of the family needed a cool set of wheels to get 4 people to the Prom last year, they choose the FRS over the MGB, so the rear seats must be usable!

In my opinion, this would have been an even better driver's car if the rear seats had been left on the cutting room floor. What little use you get out of them does not make up for the increase in mass and wheelbase that detracts from the pure driving experience that only a very light car can offer. I figure 100lbs could have been left behind easy. And yes, I do realize that it would have destroyed an already narrow market segment for the car.

My point would be that I bought the FRS because I thought it would be a sensible compromise to a pure 2 seater, 4 season vehicle in Canada. The truth is that it does not bring anything to MY party that the Miata would not do as well or better. The FRS is about 6k cheaper than the Miata in Canada, so I guess that is a point in its favour.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2CYjL5BIpdTGHGD7VIzqJNtdrBN6PtOLhuIx6AlltLzEVCg2ya07D8xZJycR1qkj