1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 ... 42
Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/5/19 8:27 p.m.

In reply to JoeyM :

And trying to make sure I didn't lose my kids surprise

there were only a couple moments that I honestly questioned their whereabouts.  

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
11/10/19 11:41 p.m.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
11/16/19 11:55 a.m.

The headlights, tail light, and horn now work!  I need to redo the brake switch, and get a new arm for the windshield wiper, but we are getting there.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
11/19/19 12:14 p.m.

Dad came over this morning and helped me fabricate a bracket for the brake light switch. That's the third time I've built that stupid bracket, but this time it works.  Even better, it works the way I want, meaning that the brake light comes on when you barely touch the brake; you don't need to depress the pedal far enough to activate the brakes. 

So now, the horn, low and high beam headlights, single central tail light, and brake light are working.  Next up, I need to do the parking lights and turn signals.  When they are working, I can start filling out paperwork to make the car street legal.  I'll still need to get some some other stuff working - indicator lights, map light, wiper motor - but I will be a lot closer to where I want to be.  After the indicators and switches are in, I'll need to decide on final placement for the gauges, and build another dash that has everything in the position I want.  Once I know their positions, I can shorten wires and run them through split conduit to make the area under the dash prettier.

The next major body parts will be fenders and the rear skirt between them. Then I can work on door pulls, door skins, etc.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
11/20/19 8:46 p.m.

Today I cleaned up (shortened) the wires to the horn switch and the brake light switch.  I also just got one of the parking lights to work.

It feels like I am starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel for wiring.

--

PS - the ground wire extensions for the LED running lights are now built for the front end, and the parking light power wires from the harness are run to the correct locations in the front.  I'm sure I can finish the front parking lights off tomorrow. If I'm able to trace and run the wires to the back, I might even get those working

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
11/21/19 8:18 p.m.

The wires are run and the blade-style ends are crimped on.  Both front parking lights work properly.

I built a three-wire piece to take tail light power and send it to the rear parking lights and the tail light.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
11/22/19 7:03 a.m.

I reused the Maxima station wagon's steering column in an effort to reduce cost.  Now I need to get the turn signals working. I am pretty sure that the four-wire plug on the turn signal stalk are not for turn signals; that is for either lights or cruise control.  

​​​​​​It is time to consult the book of ancient wisdom.

​​​​​​

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
11/22/19 11:09 a.m.

Okay, the rear parking lights now work, even though their location is temporary.   

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
11/25/19 4:41 p.m.

The Book of Wisdom cleared that turn signal business up.  (details are here.)  I am providing power to the turn signal via the same wire that powers the headlight switch, and I can use the turn signal on the steering column to control where  - i.e. to which of the indicator lights in the dash - the current goes. I still need to figure out how to run the signal through the flashers and to the rest of the car.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/AmA4Td8EQK4?rel=0

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
11/26/19 6:44 p.m.

The indicator lights are working.  I have one for high beam headlights, and the other one to hopefully nag me  so I won't leave lights on after I shut the car off.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
11/27/19 7:38 p.m.

Today, for the first time, I think I've got almost everything working. The headlights the tail light the brake light and now, the turn signals flash like they should.

A post shared by Joey Maier (@maierjbiology) on

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/27/19 10:40 p.m.

In reply to JoeyM :

Awesome!

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
11/28/19 5:36 p.m.
Pete Gossett said:

In reply to JoeyM :

Awesome!

Thank you.  We are planning to visit the DMV next week to start the titling process

NOT A TA
NOT A TA SuperDork
11/28/19 6:19 p.m.

Nice! Do you think you might have to dim the turn signal indicators? They look really bright in the vid.

Good luck with the titling process!

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
11/30/19 9:02 a.m.
NOT A TA said:

Nice! Do you think you might have to dim the turn signal indicators? They look really bright in the vid.

Interesting idea.  I suppose I could put them behind a dark lens if there is a problem.

NOT A TA said:

Good luck with the titling process!

Thank you.  I think my documentation is pretty good (this started out years ago as an attempt at a $2000 Challenge build) and Florida has some titling rules that look ok; i.e. they may not be too onerous.  We won't know until I try it, though.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
12/1/19 5:20 p.m.

Do you ever spend days working on something, only to feel like it's not that much progress? The last few days have been like that.  I'm back to having the rear parking lights and turn signals functional.  Before, they were powered and grounded by test wires with alligator clips. Now they are actually hooked to the harness.  the rear turn signals are no longer hanging over the back of the car from their wires.

A post shared by Joey Maier (@maierjbiology) on

OTOH, the car still isn't drivable, because all of the grounds for the rear lights need to be rerouted into the body of the car and hooked to one of these wire bus bar thingies on the inside.

I'm trying to make things look a little more professional than "let's just stick the bare end of that wire underneath this nut and tighten it down" because I know that getting street legal will have the car go through some inspections.  It may not be scrutineering-level stuff, but I really don't know....

03Panther
03Panther New Reader
12/4/19 8:27 p.m.

Hey.

Just took the time to read through the entire thread!!! Very inspirational. The perseverance involved in getting that far, life getting in the way for years, and then getting back to it... its just mind boggling! There are some SERIOUSLY talented people on here, and I've known alot of others just as talented, but I don't know ANY ONE that has made a car body from appliances.

My 48 F6 COE has been on the back burner for 12 years now. Almost sold it off a few times, but joining this site had made me glad I didn't

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
12/6/19 10:52 p.m.
03Panther said:

Hey.

Just took the time to read through the entire thread!!! Very inspirational. 

Welcome to the GRM forum, and thank you for the kind words.  Yes, it has been a struggle, but I learned a lot.  I think I may be close to getting street legal.

03Panther said:

My 48 F6 COE has been on the back burner for 12 years now. Almost sold it off a few times, but joining this site had made me glad I didn't

Do you have a build thread?  I'd love to take a look at it.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
12/6/19 11:07 p.m.

I pulled the tailpiece off so I could drill a bigger hole to route more wires through.  The "grommet" is a 1" plastic cap .

I also started tame the rat's nest; i.e. put wires into split conduit so that I could make it look nicer.  (I am trying to get ready for a possible DMV inspection.)

03Panther
03Panther New Reader
12/7/19 11:51 p.m.

In reply to JoeyM :

03Panther
03Panther New Reader
12/7/19 11:58 p.m.

In reply to JoeyM :

No build thread, that’s was back in 99, so no internet or digital cameras... at least not for a knuckle dragging roadwhore like me! And it needed enough work when I got it, but I was bold (most would use a more dicriptive but less polite word) enough I just slapped a hitch under it and towed my camper to a handful of job contracts around the S. East! With a little (actually a LOT) of help from bailing wire and duct tape!

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
12/8/19 1:26 p.m.
03Panther said:

In reply to JoeyM :

No build thread, that’s was back in 99, so no internet or digital cameras... at least not for a knuckle dragging roadwhore like me! And it needed enough work when I got it, but I was bold (most would use a more dicriptive but less polite word) enough I just slapped a hitch under it and towed my camper to a handful of job contracts around the S. East! With a little (actually a LOT) of help from bailing wire and duct tape!

It is gorgeous.  You did a really good job on it.

03Panther
03Panther New Reader
12/10/19 9:21 p.m.

I can't claim any credit for the build... bought from a bodyman in Rock Hill SC back in 1998. Very cool dude! I did however use it as a DD and hauler all over the E Coast for a while... THAT makes me certifiable!!! And I owe credit for that to my travel partner: RIP -  Wesley "Doc" Sharpe. There's never been a better man to be broke down in the middle of nowhere with!

If I ever get my shop finished, and strip the COE to the frame, THEN I'll be able to claim the build!!! ( had that plan since 06... not there yet!)

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
12/11/19 7:13 p.m.
03Panther said:

If I ever get my shop finished, and strip the COE to the frame, THEN I'll be able to claim the build!!! ( had that plan since 06... not there yet!)

You'll get there smiley

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
12/11/19 7:20 p.m.

I've changed which LED lights to use for turn signals three times, and modified the bracket on the tailpiece in each instance.  Eventually, I had messed with it too much and needed to cover it with some additional sheet metal where I could mount things.  Fortunately, one of the guys in my street rod club had a broken BBQ, and a metal shelf from a broken barbecue....

....can (with a bit of cutting, bending, welding, and drilling) function as a place to mount turn signals, license plate, and parking lights.

1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 ... 42

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IXJxIqSpw0jlAYx2YC5WrSEFpWivlKyQ509kRAKPbPD5SbYjcG7VboxbU2aGJJuq