1 ... 5 6 7 8
JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
5/14/17 8:55 a.m.

Sun's out, time to roll the Jeep out of the booth and see what we've got. Yes there's overspray on the step bars, they were getting repainted anyway so no biggie.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/14/17 10:13 a.m.

In reply to JThw8:

Wow, from just how little I can see in the pictures, I bet it looks amazing in person!

JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
5/14/17 11:30 a.m.

Thanks for the kind words Pete :) It's certainly not without its flaws but I learned long ago that if you use really eye catching colors then the little flaws go unnoticed ;)

java230
java230 SuperDork
5/14/17 12:48 p.m.

Looks Great!!

JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
5/14/17 12:59 p.m.

Step in, opinions needed...

As long as I have some eyes on the project again. Didnt want to put this on FB as there are a lot of opinions there I dont necessarily want to hear but I trust you folks. Started mocking up the lights. All my parking/turn lenses were old and worn so I have new on order but I hit the old ones with some nightshades to see how it looks. I definitely like it on the side markers but it seems a bit much on the front parking lights. These were clear and I hated that too so the new ones on order are amber.

Thoughts and opinions?

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
5/14/17 1:09 p.m.

Side markets good. Front ligjts bad. Need orange or clear turn and clear headlights.

And the kc highlights with the smiley face covers.

JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
5/14/17 1:19 p.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: Side markets good. Front ligjts bad. Need orange or clear turn and clear headlights. And the kc highlights with the smiley face covers.

Orange already on order, didnt like the clear much :) Thanks! And yes I already have the KCs, just waiting for assembly

JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
5/14/17 2:04 p.m.

Another GRM friend saw the photo and immediately said what I was trying to deny. Its not the black lights throwing me off, its the grill guard. I debated welding up the mount holes before paint but convinced myself that it was a useful accessory. It's the problem here visually.

I'll leave the holes and touch up the paint around them and if the jeep is ever going somewhere that it actually needs the guard we'll have that option I guess.

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/14/17 4:24 p.m.

2 cents. Beautiful paint work, like you always do. Simply amazing.

I believe amber is the way to go on all the lights in question. Flowers or blackout. Not both. Also, yep, ditch the grill guard.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
5/14/17 4:27 p.m.

What is the grill guard? Im not seeing it....

JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
5/14/17 4:51 p.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: What is the grill guard? Im not seeing it....

First pic, black mesh over the grill as opposed to 2nd pic without it.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
5/14/17 5:15 p.m.

Ah. Yeah, rhe mesh thing is ugly. Still not feeling the black lenses though

JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
5/14/17 5:28 p.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: Ah. Yeah, rhe mesh thing is ugly. Still not feeling the black lenses though

Me either, I like them on the side lights but its too much up front. Gonna wait till the new ones get here and see what they look like, if the amber clashes too much then I'll create a false trim ring in black around them to separate the colors I think.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
5/14/17 5:29 p.m.

In reply to JThw8:

Think the black bezel will be perfect.

JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
5/25/17 6:31 p.m.

Funny thing about going crazy, once you start it seems to be a rapid downhill slide. So why stop at 2 concurrent projects when you can have 3.

At my daughters graduation last weekend my folks announced dad is going to retire next year and they bought their retirement home in SC. Both their cars right now are pretty long in the tooth so part of the plan is to buy one last new car this coming year. But it turns out the new house is a bit remote and mom was worried that maybe dad should have a little beater to get around in when she's out with the "good" car.

I decided this would be my retirement present to him. I would find a good beater and spend the next year going through the whole thing as well as painting it. Dad has always wanted a copper color car, I don't know why, but that's what he'll get.

I wavered between a cool classic or something newer and more reliable. After discussing it with mom and sister it was agreed more modern and reliable would be better especially with the low budget at hand. But I was still hoping for something less boring than a corolla. Of course when you need a good, cheap car that's more interesting than a corolla you can always count on GRM. So tonite I drove to meet up with forum member Duke and purchased this lovely little Celica. Not quite sure why it languished in the classifieds other than its an auto which is not generally preferred around here but at dad's age and with mom unable to drive manual an auto was just the right thing.

So here it is, needs some light rust repair and a repaint. Very well maintained little car otherwise, needs a muffler and brakes but all the parts are included. Stay tuned, not quite sure how deep down the rabbit hole I will go on this one yet :)

klb67
klb67 Reader
5/25/17 6:47 p.m.

Man does your Jeep project bring back memories. My first automotive paint job was painting dad's 71 CJ in a very similar bright orange, with a white metal top and doors. I learn to drive in that jeep when it was faded and rusted red before we restored it.

JThw8 wrote: Another GRM friend saw the photo and immediately said what I was trying to deny. Its not the black lights throwing me off, its the grill guard. I debated welding up the mount holes before paint but convinced myself that it was a useful accessory. It's the problem here visually. I'll leave the holes and touch up the paint around them and if the jeep is ever going somewhere that it actually needs the guard we'll have that option I guess.
JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
5/27/17 10:55 a.m.

Amber lenses came in, much better.

Trying to finish all the painting this weekend so I can do final assembly. So this morning I set up to spray the tinted bed liner on the door jambs, rear rails, roll bar and trans tunnel plate. The tub will get black bed liner once this has cured so I can tape it off.

The tintable doesn't cover well, over the same color it was fine but I didnt pre paint the roll bar so it took a few coats to hide the old color.

Decent texture, you can vary the texture by the distance of the gun and the pressure you spray at, Its recommended between 40 and 60 psi, I was spraying at 50. I'll probably go for a slightly heavier texture with the black.

I figured tinted bedliner was better than the sticky tape style protectors people put here to hide the scuffs. We'll see how it holds up.

I had set this up with an edge tape so I could keep the rest of the body masked for the tub spraying but still break the tape line before this cured fully. If you pull the tape after full cure you'll risk pulling up the liner with the tape.

Took 1 liter of tinable to do this. Based on the coverage I proabably should have gone for two. I got by but I would have liked a little more in some spots on the roll bar.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
5/27/17 2:44 p.m.

You have a Jeep with flowers in the paint. A Jeep with flowers on it is a "happy" Jeep. Any black accents do not really keep with that theme. I'd keep all trim chrome. Chrome is happy.

JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
5/27/17 2:53 p.m.
Ian F wrote: You have a Jeep with flowers in the paint. A Jeep with flowers on it is a "happy" Jeep. Any black accents do not really keep with that theme. I'd keep all trim chrome. Chrome is happy.

While I don't disagree from a design standpoint it did not have chrome when I got it and I'm way too cheap to spring for chrome now :) But there's not a lot of black accents going on, the black fender flares, bumpers and step bars are about it. The rest is orange. It's quite possible that the longer it actually stays here the more I'll be inspired to buy it some shiny bits

JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
5/28/17 11:06 a.m.

And finally all the major painting is done, we can put this back together soon. I want to give the liner at least 4 days cure time before I start setting stuff on it.

Little trick I picked up from other guys who have done this. Foam ear plugs are perfect for filling all the bolt holes so they dont get gummed up with bedliner.

Really happy with this product, used 3 liters on the interior tub with a little left over. The black covers much better than the tintable.

Had a little left in the gun so I sprayed the bumper too. I have another liter so maybe I'll do the front bumper to match.

JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
6/11/17 1:55 p.m.

Time for some closure. Sorry for the lack of updates but most time has been spent getting this done. And done it is.

Installed a twin stick shifter, made by a place called JB Fab, really a nice setup for a cheap as it was, cheaper than the crappy kits but all stainless and well built. And of course the wife's custom shift knob. New stereo and speakers to boot.

New center console and some seat covers. Really wanted to go with Wet Okoles but $650 for the set vs $150 for these, these will do. Still waiting on the new steering wheel to arrive, just a Grant Classic simple yet better looking than the stock.

Final touch to the interior, hula shark. Wife and I bought this in Key west on our 10th wedding anniversary and its been sitting in a box in my office waiting for just the right vehicle.

Baby got new shoes, wheels and tires. Still 31x10.5. Old wheels had locks with no key so that was a small adventure in hell but I finally beat it.

Very happy with how the ghosted graphics came out.

Closeup really catches the pop of the pearl in the sunlight

Copied on the rocker panels too.

Looked long and hard for a 5th jeep slot mag, wife wants a tire cover, I dont, I love the matching wheels all around.

So new steering wheel and the bikini top is going to get replaced with a mesh one but its mostly done. Of course its never done and there will be other things. Eventually I need to tidy up the underside and fix a few non critical issues. But for now, we're going to go drive this thing and enjoy it.

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/11/17 3:29 p.m.

Is the Celica the 1.8 or the 2.2? I have a lot of stock parts for this model from our LeMons/Chumpcar that are yours if needed. Don't think I have any brake pads but I can check.

JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
6/11/17 3:42 p.m.

In reply to hobiercr:

1.8, came with new brake pads so no worries there. Not sure what I'll need just yet but I'll holler at you once I start digging into it. Mostly it's a solid runner that doesnt need much, got a new radiator because the old was showing some stress cracks in the plastic tank, and hoses cause as long as im in there. New muffler (came with it) and brakes (came with it) Other than that its just bodywork and paint

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/11/17 4:09 p.m.

I've got all the stuff you pull off a car when building it. Window switches, regulators, overflow bottles, etc., etc. so if you do come across anything let me know.

JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
6/11/17 4:12 p.m.
hobiercr wrote: I've got all the stuff you pull off a car when building it. Window switches, regulators, overflow bottles, etc., etc. so if you do come across anything let me know.

One stupid item that comes to mind, the volume knob for the radio....

1 ... 5 6 7 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
M9b91RldCS2hGB2noFGVmqWTBOdJEjQzw07JYTsiWdBmGdrzd1Qewm3jvP9qoHEc