1 2 3 4 ... 9
Travis_K
Travis_K SuperDork
9/13/12 3:08 a.m.

You know if you see a 16v scirocco in the junkyard you can grab the brakes and the front subframe brace for an upgrade too right? Picking a transmission will be interesting too, many choices of gear ratios depending on what car you get it from.

If you haven't already put the new timing belt on, you will need to buy or borrow the tool to hold the tensioner too, because its not like the old ones you can adjust with a wrench, its a special tool with 2 pins that fit into the holes in the tensioner.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi HalfDork
9/13/12 6:55 a.m.

If you use 4crawler as a guide you can copy all the trans codes and what the gear ratios are. Of course, that will be the stock ratios supposing no one has messed with them. Then you just need a brass toothbrush and the Willingness to climb under every car in the yard.

As for the tensioner, I used a broken pair of needlenose plier ends and welded them to a large nut in the correct diameter. It takes more pressure that the tool but it was free

dextervw
dextervw New Reader
9/13/12 9:16 a.m.

Rock on Anja

N Sperlo
N Sperlo PowerDork
9/13/12 9:29 a.m.

You have diarrhea of the keyboard, Anja. I like that about you. Custom drive belts can be a pain, thats what's good about some older Nissan engines. Each part that needs to be driven has its own belt. Downside, their stacked.

You've got a lot of wrench work ahead of you. Hopefully you have some air tools. It can really cut some time down and give you more rest. You can really knock gaskets out quick.

Good luck and get enough sleep.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
9/13/12 9:59 p.m.

Anja, I can't wait until you get to feel what that ABA is like in that chassis!

My MK1 (I call him "Roger") is thumping away with a 2.0 16V ABA, and it's a hoot!

Roger had the power, but he was riding on street suspension/ wheels/ brakes until this week. Now he's got full coilovers with 550 lb springs, heim jointed anti-sways front and rear, reinforced chassis front, rear, top and bottom, and a wider girth, sitting on 13 x 10's with a very deep dish- they widened the stance by over 6". He's tipping the scales at 1850 lbs wet.

I'm taking him to the Challenge in 2 weeks. I can't wait to get him back on the track!

Gaia will not miss that diesel (although I am sorry I didn't know you were selling. I've been looking for a well-loved diesel engine for a while)

Keep up the good work!

dansxr2
dansxr2 HalfDork
9/13/12 10:13 p.m.

Does she have a sister ??? Awesome build thread, keep up the good work!!!

Travis_K
Travis_K SuperDork
9/14/12 4:15 a.m.

I know someone who has a caddy pickup with an AAZ turbodiesel, thats a pretty good engine for an mk1 too. expensive though, I think just the engine was $2k and it has been rebuilt since then.

sachilles
sachilles Dork
9/14/12 6:36 a.m.

May be worth sharing your project in the forums at hillclimb.org. We have at least two diesel rabbits and many vw nuts, with lots of knowledge to share.

vwcorvette
vwcorvette Dork
9/14/12 9:52 p.m.

The water on the fusebox may not be coming from the windshield. I've seen water come in where the radio antenna cable comes in from the panel to the left of the fusebox. These cars had no inner fender liner and water thrown up by the left front tire gets pulled into the passenger compartment when the seal on the body goes bad. Check that.

I had an 81 rocco with an ABA installed, but I used the original 1.8 head and injection so no need to deal with a harness swap.

If my current project turns out to have bad engine I will go the same way as you. I'll be looking for a 95 ABA (forged crank and piston oil squirters).

The Cabby CE2 (Common Electronics 2) harness should work for you. But, you'll still have to change the chassis harness ends to mate the chassis harness with the fuse panel. The engine harness should plug right in.

Best of luck.

anjaloveshervw
anjaloveshervw New Reader
9/15/12 12:08 a.m.
Travis_K wrote:
anjaloveshervw wrote:
Travis_K wrote: I believe the easiest way to do this swap would be to get a 90-92 cabriolet wiring harness and fuse box right? They should both be CE2 so all you really have to do with the ABA harness is remove the stuff you dont need and plug it into the fuse box.

I have not heard this before, but heck, I have not heard many things.

Please do elaborate! As it is, I haven't a clue what to do with my fuse boxes... I have 2, hardly room under the dash for the first, and it is in a lousy spot... water drips onto it constantly.... no matter how many times I replace, reseal, paint, bondo, etc. the windshield. Ack. !! Problems! Maybe this is just another thing that would be simpler if I only knew more!!

I will look into this. :-) Thanks for the input.

So, I am not a VW person but my friend is obsessed with them and has done an ABA swap into an 85 GTI before. The early MK2s have the CE1 electrical system (probably different from your rabbit and also different than the MK3). The MK2s with the big bumpers (I think 1990 and up) have the CE2 wiring, which is the same as what the Mk3s have. So, if what I am thinking is correct, the 90-92 cabriolet is also probably CE2, which means if you use the wiring harness out of that car, you should be able to (after you remove everything you dont really need), plug the ABA engine harness into the new fuse box and have less custom work to do. Part of the first post in this thread talks about the same thing too.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4773933-MK1-ABA-swap-A1-ABA-swap-Rabbit-ABA-swap-Rabbit-2.0-swap-2.0-into-A1-2.0-into-MK1-info-thread

AH. Yes, yes, ues. I see where you are going with this. Yes, my Rabbit is pre-CE1, ans Yes, the mk3 is CE2. So, you are saying that with the CE2 wiring from the cabby, that everything should be plug-and-play. Sounds like I am just making my own version of exactly that by combining both harnesses, no?

Or, but wait.... I am getting ahead of myself in the story!!!

Still though, I am going to look into this because, whether I use this idea or not, it would be good to know, and I am interested!!! :D Thanks dor the great info!

anjaloveshervw
anjaloveshervw New Reader
9/15/12 12:10 a.m.

In reply to Travis_K:

You're getting ahead of where I am in my story, too :-)

And, I am using (for now) the same trans that I ran in my diesel. It's the 5 speed manual. I think it will work fine for a little while :-) But yeah! Someday I want to have the knowledge and skill to be able to build up my own transmission to meet my specific needs....

And yeah, I did borrow that tool!! It is so handy, I think that I am even going to buy my own some day before I need to replace that belt again.....

anjaloveshervw
anjaloveshervw New Reader
9/15/12 12:12 a.m.
chandlerGTi wrote: If you use 4crawler as a guide you can copy all the trans codes and what the gear ratios are. Of course, that will be the stock ratios supposing no one has messed with them. Then you just need a brass toothbrush and the Willingness to climb under every car in the yard. As for the tensioner, I used a broken pair of needlenose plier ends and welded them to a large nut in the correct diameter. It takes more pressure that the tool but it was free

What a great idea!! I LOVE IT when people make their own tools. One of my friends has a whole drawer in his toolbox devoted entirely to "VW Specialty Tools".... half of which he made himself from modifying other tools... so awesome! I have s couple of my own, but I sense that I will be making more in the following months/years/decades :-)

anjaloveshervw
anjaloveshervw New Reader
9/15/12 12:12 a.m.
dextervw wrote: Rock on Anja

I do what I can :-)

anjaloveshervw
anjaloveshervw New Reader
9/15/12 12:18 a.m.
N Sperlo wrote: You have diarrhea of the keyboard, Anja. I like that about you. Custom drive belts can be a pain, thats what's good about some older Nissan engines. Each part that needs to be driven has its own belt. Downside, their stacked. You've got a lot of wrench work ahead of you. Hopefully you have some air tools. It can really cut some time down and give you more rest. You can really knock gaskets out quick. Good luck and get enough sleep.

Yeah, I don't really go much of this internet stuff, so you guys get all of my attention <3

Ummm.... well, I have 2 air tools... heh. And both of them are.... special! My air ratchet never stops ratcheting, so it keeps me on my feet! That's why it was only $8. And thanks to a Hillclimb buddy, I have a small air compressor, so that will make my life much easier. I have done wayyyyy to much work with simple hand tools.

I really REEEEEALLY need to get more sleep. Thank you :-)

anjaloveshervw
anjaloveshervw New Reader
9/15/12 12:27 a.m.
SVreX wrote: Anja, I can't wait until you get to feel what that ABA is like in that chassis! My MK1 (I call him "Roger") is thumping away with a 2.0 16V ABA, and it's a hoot! Roger had the power, but he was riding on street suspension/ wheels/ brakes until this week. Now he's got full coilovers with 550 lb springs, heim jointed anti-sways front and rear, reinforced chassis front, rear, top and bottom, and a wider girth, sitting on 13 x 10's with a very deep dish- they widened the stance by over 6". He's tipping the scales at 1850 lbs wet. I'm taking him to the Challenge in 2 weeks. I can't wait to get him back on the track! Gaia will not miss that diesel (although I am sorry I didn't know you were selling. I've been looking for a well-loved diesel engine for a while) Keep up the good work!

HOLY E36 M3 I cannot wait!!! Ah! Sometimes it is hard for me to remember that I have all of the time in the world to do this project... learn enjoy, chill out... I just was her to RUN! So I can go FAST!!

...

But! I wouldn't appreciate the ABA unless I had lived for years with the diesel! Just like I will not appreciate a nice set of coilovers until I race with E36 M3ty suspension, just like I will not appreciate nice tires, or brakes, or exhaust, or or or...

Kind of the name of the game, but I am looking forward to getting her running for sure, and having the time and the luxury to get to know her, how she handles, and dialing her in to fit my personal driving style.

I've been criticized a little for not just buying a cheap race car... I'd save SO MUCH MONEY!! People tell me.

Yeah, sure. I forget who exactly said this to me, (I think my friend Jesse from the East Coast, a VW Mechanic), but he said that doing work like this, the build and the motor swap and all of that, is like the equivalent of going through a crash course of tech school. These are skills here that I couldn't replicate by paying someone to do it then reading a book.... you know??

I am envious of your progress with Roger. :-) I cannot wait to be where you are now. You must be so proud!! Please keep me informed and tell me how you two do at the challenge.... it is inspiring to me, and I love to hear that Gaia and I will have a real chance to be competitive with the right combo of parts.... :-)

anjaloveshervw
anjaloveshervw New Reader
9/15/12 12:28 a.m.
dansxr2 wrote: Does she have a sister ??? Awesome build thread, keep up the good work!!!

Gaia??

Or me??

What, am I too young for you or something? Or too crazy or too weird?? LOL ;)

anjaloveshervw
anjaloveshervw New Reader
9/15/12 12:32 a.m.
sachilles wrote: May be worth sharing your project in the forums at hillclimb.org. We have at least two diesel rabbits and many vw nuts, with lots of knowledge to share.

Thanks for the input! I'd love to! The more connections and sharing, the better!

Now, this is weird, because I am only looking at your tiny avatar, but I think that we've crossed paths? I used to live on the East Coast and I have volunteered at the Mt. Ascutney and Mt. Philo hillclimbs... your userpic looks like the first big swooping turn on Philo? (I worked that station in Spring of 2010...)

Maybe that's totally off base... or not?

anjaloveshervw
anjaloveshervw New Reader
9/15/12 12:34 a.m.
vwcorvette wrote: The water on the fusebox may not be coming from the windshield. I've seen water come in where the radio antenna cable comes in from the panel to the left of the fusebox. These cars had no inner fender liner and water thrown up by the left front tire gets pulled into the passenger compartment when the seal on the body goes bad. Check that. I had an 81 rocco with an ABA installed, but I used the original 1.8 head and injection so no need to deal with a harness swap. If my current project turns out to have bad engine I will go the same way as you. I'll be looking for a 95 ABA (forged crank and piston oil squirters). The Cabby CE2 (Common Electronics 2) harness should work for you. But, you'll still have to change the chassis harness ends to mate the chassis harness with the fuse panel. The engine harness should plug right in. Best of luck.

That's fabulous, thank you for the input! I'll check the antenna mount, and I will also look more into the Cabby wiring harness. Maybe I could even just get the fuse box and combine them so I won't have to use 2 like the VW Vortex thread... but I haven't truly gotten there yet.

I won't know until I try different things and see which is easiest or makes the most sense for me. I hav ony begun to delve into the wiring aspect, and right now, I am still struggling with reading the diagrams, and I am about to lose access to the mk3 Bently manual, so I have to pick up another one soon in order to finish... ack!! :P So much to do before she runs... SO much! :D

anjaloveshervw
anjaloveshervw New Reader
9/15/12 12:36 a.m.

Thank you for all of the fabulous comments and encouragement, all! Please keep it coming, and I will have more to share with you after my crazy weekend is over.

Until then! <3 Anja

Travis_K
Travis_K SuperDork
9/15/12 3:19 a.m.
anjaloveshervw wrote: AH. Yes, yes, ues. I see where you are going with this. Yes, my Rabbit is pre-CE1, ans Yes, the mk3 is CE2. So, you are saying that with the CE2 wiring from the cabby, that everything should be plug-and-play. Sounds like I am just making my own version of exactly that by combining both harnesses, no?

Yeah, pretty much, but if you use the entire body harness from the cabriolet and the engine harness with the ABA you should only have to just remove what you don't need and plug everything into the fuse-box and it would all work like it came that way from the factory.

anjaloveshervw
anjaloveshervw New Reader
9/15/12 10:32 a.m.
Travis_K wrote:
anjaloveshervw wrote: AH. Yes, yes, ues. I see where you are going with this. Yes, my Rabbit is pre-CE1, ans Yes, the mk3 is CE2. So, you are saying that with the CE2 wiring from the cabby, that everything should be plug-and-play. Sounds like I am just making my own version of exactly that by combining both harnesses, no?

Yeah, pretty much, but if you use the entire body harness from the cabriolet and the engine harness with the ABA you should only have to just remove what you don't need and plug everything into the fuse-box and it would all work like it came that way from the factory.

Alright, huh. Now I am confused.... how exactly would this be any different from what I am doing now with my wiring - using the engine management wiring from the mk3 and the body wiring from my rabbit? The Fuse boxes are that much different, or.....??

Travis_K
Travis_K SuperDork
9/15/12 12:17 p.m.

If you used the cabriolet fusebox and body harness the mk3 engine harness should plug right into it. Otherwise you are right, it's probably not that much different. I'm sure the ce2 fusebox works better than the old rabbit one though lol.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
9/15/12 12:39 p.m.
anjaloveshervw wrote:
SVreX wrote: Anja, I can't wait until you get to feel what that ABA is like in that chassis! My MK1 (I call him "Roger") is thumping away with a 2.0 16V ABA, and it's a hoot! Roger had the power, but he was riding on street suspension/ wheels/ brakes until this week. Now he's got full coilovers with 550 lb springs, heim jointed anti-sways front and rear, reinforced chassis front, rear, top and bottom, and a wider girth, sitting on 13 x 10's with a very deep dish- they widened the stance by over 6". He's tipping the scales at 1850 lbs wet. I'm taking him to the Challenge in 2 weeks. I can't wait to get him back on the track! Gaia will not miss that diesel (although I am sorry I didn't know you were selling. I've been looking for a well-loved diesel engine for a while) Keep up the good work!

HOLY E36 M3 I cannot wait!!! Ah! Sometimes it is hard for me to remember that I have all of the time in the world to do this project... learn enjoy, chill out... I just was her to RUN! So I can go FAST!!

...

But! I wouldn't appreciate the ABA unless I had lived for years with the diesel! Just like I will not appreciate a nice set of coilovers until I race with E36 M3ty suspension, just like I will not appreciate nice tires, or brakes, or exhaust, or or or...

Kind of the name of the game, but I am looking forward to getting her running for sure, and having the time and the luxury to get to know her, how she handles, and dialing her in to fit my personal driving style.

I've been criticized a little for not just buying a cheap race car... I'd save SO MUCH MONEY!! People tell me.

Yeah, sure. I forget who exactly said this to me, (I think my friend Jesse from the East Coast, a VW Mechanic), but he said that doing work like this, the build and the motor swap and all of that, is like the equivalent of going through a crash course of tech school. These are skills here that I couldn't replicate by paying someone to do it then reading a book.... you know??

I am envious of your progress with Roger. :-) I cannot wait to be where you are now. You must be so proud!! Please keep me informed and tell me how you two do at the challenge.... it is inspiring to me, and I love to hear that Gaia and I will have a real chance to be competitive with the right combo of parts.... :-)

That's exactly the right attitude. Drive a little. learn a little, improve a little, rinse and repeat.

I know it's a long haul from OR, but come on down to the Challenge, meet the family, and I'll get you behind the wheel!

dansxr2
dansxr2 HalfDork
9/15/12 10:56 p.m.

In reply to anjaloveshervw: "Gaia??

Or me??

What, am I too young for you or something? Or too crazy or too weird?? LOL ;) "

yes you.... definately not too young, too crazy, or weird. We are on the same forum! Really cool to see a beautiful young woman workin on her own project!

isaacsvwgti
isaacsvwgti New Reader
9/16/12 9:17 a.m.

nice.....i have a 91 vw gti! lol

1 2 3 4 ... 9
Our Preferred Partners
qi32gGhTaM789KyQEwoBTdln06IOwd6avWTdNKnIep7xIPA5A4HhUpp1489xhHpB