1 2 3 4 5 ... 9
fornetti14
fornetti14 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/16/12 8:31 p.m.

Nice job!

Maybe I missed it somewhere... is this what you drive everyday?

When I went through my '90 Cabby last winter, I was surprised how slow it was and I ended up selling it 4 months later. I should have went with the ABA swap instead of the fresh 8V & header (I went the cheap and easy route).

N Sperlo
N Sperlo PowerDork
9/17/12 4:40 p.m.

In reply to anjaloveshervw:

Tell me you're soldering and heat shrinking, not using butt connectors.

anjaloveshervw
anjaloveshervw New Reader
9/17/12 7:32 p.m.
N Sperlo wrote: In reply to anjaloveshervw: Tell me you're soldering and heat shrinking, not using butt connectors.

That's the only way that I do it. :-)

anjaloveshervw
9/17/12 7:52 p.m.
fornetti14 wrote: Nice job! Maybe I missed it somewhere... is this what you drive everyday? When I went through my '90 Cabby last winter, I was surprised how slow it was and I ended up selling it 4 months later. I should have went with the ABA swap instead of the fresh 8V & header (I went the cheap and easy route).

I have daily driven this car since 2008. Right now, I am DDing my Suzuki Samurai while I complete the build. :-)

When I finish the build thread for my Rabbit, you can look forward to seeing the build thread for Sammy!!!

anjaloveshervw
9/17/12 7:53 p.m.
isaacsvwgti wrote: nice.....i have a 91 vw gti! lol

Sweet! Where's your build thread, eh?? ;)

anjaloveshervw
9/17/12 8:14 p.m.
dansxr2 wrote: In reply to anjaloveshervw: "Gaia?? Or me?? What, am I too young for you or something? Or too crazy or too weird?? LOL ;) " yes you.... definately not too young, too crazy, or weird. We are on the same forum! Really cool to see a beautiful young woman workin on her own project!

Why thank you! :-)

Then I suppose I can tell you that yes, I do have a sister, lol but she is absolutely nothing like me!!!

anjaloveshervw
9/17/12 8:23 p.m.
SVreX wrote: I know it's a long haul from OR, but come on down to the Challenge, meet the family, and I'll get you behind the wheel!

WHAAAAAAAATTTT!!!!!??? When and where??

anjaloveshervw
9/17/12 8:24 p.m.
SVreX wrote: That's exactly the right attitude. Drive a little. learn a little, improve a little, rinse and repeat.

Absolutely! Just because its right, doesn't mean its easy though. :)

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/17/12 11:11 p.m.
anjaloveshervw wrote:
fornetti14 wrote: Nice job! Maybe I missed it somewhere... is this what you drive everyday? When I went through my '90 Cabby last winter, I was surprised how slow it was and I ended up selling it 4 months later. I should have went with the ABA swap instead of the fresh 8V & header (I went the cheap and easy route).
I have daily driven this car since 2008. Right now, I am DDing my Suzuki Samurai while I complete the build. :-) When I finish the build thread for my Rabbit, you can look forward to seeing the build thread for Sammy!!!

St. johns area?

isaacsvwgti
isaacsvwgti New Reader
9/18/12 5:45 p.m.

In reply to anjaloveshervw: oh ya know, lol

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
9/18/12 8:15 p.m.
anjaloveshervw wrote:
SVreX wrote: I know it's a long haul from OR, but come on down to the Challenge, meet the family, and I'll get you behind the wheel!

The GRM Challenge is one of the flagship events of this publication. It is held annually in Gainesville FL. IT'S ONE WEEK FROM FRIDAY!

I'll let you slide. You're still new around here!

Plus, you're kinda cool.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo PowerDork
9/18/12 8:23 p.m.
anjaloveshervw wrote:

dansxr2
dansxr2 HalfDork
9/18/12 10:39 p.m.

In reply to anjaloveshervw:

Your quite welcome ;-)

anjaloveshervw
9/19/12 12:30 a.m.
turboswede wrote: St. johns area?

Camas, WA. Where I used to live... like last week.

anjaloveshervw
9/19/12 12:33 a.m.
SVreX wrote: The GRM Challenge is one of the flagship events of this publication. It is held annually in Gainesville FL. IT'S ONE WEEK FROM FRIDAY! I'll let you slide. You're still new around here! Plus, you're kinda cool.

Oooh sounds like fun! But yeah, kind of a little too far away, and I'll be volunteering at the MaryHill Hillclimb here out West :-)

And yeah, how would I know?? I am new to the forums and don't even get the Mag. :( Though I hope that the stars will align themselves and I'll be gifted with a subscription for my birthday next week... :-)

anjaloveshervw
9/19/12 12:34 a.m.
dansxr2 wrote: In reply to anjaloveshervw: Your quite welcome ;-)

blushes

anjaloveshervw
9/19/12 1:38 a.m.

Alright, so you may have guessed that my story hasn't quite caught up with reality yet, I have to include a few more steps to get to where we are now, but allow me to jump ahead in my story to tell you about today....

WE HAVE MOVED!!!!!

Across the river and through the woods.

Was it by choice?

Well, no, not really.

Was it a good thing?

Yes, absolutely.

No one likes to up and move when they are in the middle of a project like this, but desperate times call for desperate measures. Gaia seems to think that its alright.

One of the bummers was that I couldn't find a place to put my parts car, so I had no choice but to scrap it... which was too bad. I didn't have enough time to take some parts off of it that I needed, but I'll just have to buy them at some other time down the road.

The other bummer is that the one part that I wanted to install tonight was the one part that I couldn't find. How does it always happen this way??!!?!? HOW, TELL ME!!!

I probably wasted a good half hour of working time looking for that dumb fuel pump. I know that I out it in a safe place SOMEWHERE.... yet I feel as though I have looked through every single box. BUMMER!!!! Augh.

It took me a bit to recover from my plans of completing the fuel system today. See, when it comes to cars and my car project, I tend to get so taken in by the bigness... all of the parts that still need to be done. I will start on one thing, and get distracted and start something else... and something else... and then something else catches my eye and needs done... and before I know it, the whole day has gone by, and nothing has REALLY gotten done. This is so inefficient. I realize this.

My solution has been to figure out during the day what I will be doing that night after work. I will ponder over the possibilities until I have decided on something reasonable for the given amount of time.

Tonight, I had 2 hours. I decided on the fuel system. DONE. That was my plan. Not too bad, not too much to do. Install fuel pump, think about fuel accumulator some more, and probably decide not to install it, run soft lines to hard lines and connect with a double hose clamp, finish running the lines in the front of the car... etc. Not too bad, right?

Well, not if you can't find your fuel pump.

I decided to mess around with my brakes instead.

Wait... back up just one minute. I know what you're thinking. "Erm... JEEZ, GIRL! It takes you 2 HOURS to run some lousy FUEL LINES?!?!"

Umm... YEAH IT DOES! So what, I am inexperienced and not super good at these things. And get this, my Rabbit used to be a diesel, so the hard fuel lines are even on the PROPER SIDE OF THE CAR!! Piece of cake!

Look, there we go, beautifully done. Not so bad, right??

This will bring me to the rule of Pi. You probably all know this already. It goes like this: However long you think something is going to take you, multiply it by Pi, and that's how long it will REALLY take you.

Okay. I used to say "3 times" but then a friend of mine called it Pi, and I think that's funny. Pi is an amazing number, and the more that you think about it, the more that it can fit almost anywhere in your life. It is also usually just slightly over 3 times, anyhow. Like 3.14159 times or something.... :-) I also have Pi on my mind since I ate some for lunch when my coworkers had an early birthday party for me. (I turn 26 on the 24th of this Month, yeeah!)

I often think about all of those things that slow me down that someday I will not have to think about anymore, like grabbing the proper tool, or taking forever to figure out the proper jack points, or remembering the size of a bolt (okay, okay, I know 9 times out of 10 its a 13 or a 10 on a VW...) Or not choosing the right order for the different steps and ending up taking everything apart and starting over... Yeah, that's my favorite... :P

But these are the things that teach me how to brainstorm and imagine steps, memorize the bolt sizes on my car, and all of those other crazy things that we do. It also gives me the chance to learn about what different parts are that I don't recognize, like this:

I started out with 4 of those "What is this??" labels in my engine bay, and now they all have name tags, and I have read about what they do. (3 of those 4, I just cut off and threw away, but I'll explain that later.)

These are the steps that cannot be rushed! These are the times that must be embraced and taken slowly, not skipping over something for fear that it will haunt you later when it goes faulty and you can't seem to diagnose the problem because you don't understand something...

HA! Not me :)

But this is the reason why an engine swap takes me months instead of just days or hours....

Good night all, and stay tuned :-)

N Sperlo
N Sperlo PowerDork
9/19/12 8:44 a.m.
anjaloveshervw said: I tend to get so taken in by the bigness...

haaaah

On another note, I have something that looks similar.

When there wires are labeled with painters tape, its much easier to match things up.
... And when you want to paint something...

dansxr2
dansxr2 HalfDork
9/19/12 10:12 a.m.

I've been reading this thread a lot!!! Keep it comin ;-)

Spinout007
Spinout007 GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/19/12 1:46 p.m.
anjaloveshervw wrote: Oooh sounds like fun! But yeah, kind of a little too far away, and I'll be volunteering at the MaryHill Hillclimb here out West :-) And yeah, how would I know?? I am new to the forums and don't even get the Mag. :( Though I hope that the stars will align themselves and I'll be gifted with a subscription for my birthday next week... :-)

Tell that to the Canadians that make the drive!

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
9/19/12 7:18 p.m.

I don't read build threads.

Except this one.

anjaloveshervw
9/20/12 12:58 a.m.
SVreX wrote: I don't read build threads. Except this one.

Aww!! Thanks! That makes me feel awesome! I'll be sure to keep it up :)

anjaloveshervw
9/20/12 12:59 a.m.
Spinout007 wrote:
anjaloveshervw wrote: Oooh sounds like fun! But yeah, kind of a little too far away, and I'll be volunteering at the MaryHill Hillclimb here out West :-) And yeah, how would I know?? I am new to the forums and don't even get the Mag. :( Though I hope that the stars will align themselves and I'll be gifted with a subscription for my birthday next week... :-)
Tell that to the Canadians that make the drive!

Wow! Honestly! If I had known and been able to plan....

I remember West Coasters making the drive to my favorite East Coast VW show and was always impressed with the dedication...

I think that next year you'll all see me with my rabbit :)

anjaloveshervw
9/20/12 12:59 a.m.
dansxr2 wrote: I've been reading this thread a lot!!! Keep it comin ;-)

Thanks!!! I absolutely will! :-)

anjaloveshervw
9/20/12 1:00 a.m.
N Sperlo wrote:
anjaloveshervw said: I tend to get so taken in by the bigness...
haaaah On another note, I have something that looks similar. When there wires are labeled with painters tape, its much easier to match things up. ... And when you want to paint something...

OUCH!!

You know my pain.

I know yours.

Best of luck to you!!!

1 2 3 4 5 ... 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
l0iBn5zqnDzXj0OjNT1yhPO745F4RxxulAKx6F4oKMpoYSA6poBrwkXtFkRQER5I