1 2
bigfranks84
bigfranks84 Reader
6/3/19 9:27 p.m.

Ok, did the chain and sprockets and rear brake tonight. Old chain was creaking and popping. 

bigfranks84
bigfranks84 Reader
6/19/19 9:30 p.m.

Welp, I was an idiot and slid the bike right out from under me in the yard today.  Little sore and pride hurt but besides tweaking the bars and bonking the headlight it's no worse for wear. 

So , figured now was the best time to finally put on the fat bars. Sorry for the quality of the pics it was getting dark.

So,  got back on the horse as they say. Rode around the block, like these bars better. Headlight is tweaked just a hair, got it almost back in place with the rubber mallet. But I might switch it back to a smaller light,  been thinking of doing that anyways. 

bigfranks84
bigfranks84 Reader
7/13/19 11:48 p.m.

Finally did the rear tire. It had lots of tread left but felt off. It was atleast 6 years old, so that's not surprising. 

Definitely feels better now with the new tire. I took off the bent headlight and I'm going to do a rectangle headlight next. 

I'm digging the rectangle mockup. 

bigfranks84
bigfranks84 Reader
9/16/19 12:41 a.m.

So this one kinda fell in my lap.  Wasn't planning on buying another bike.  But for $250 and a title I couldn't pass on it. 

Actually paid for it about 3 weeks ago,  sight unseen. Like actually never saw it or even a picture of it.  So expectations weren't hurt. But I was wrong, here it was right after we unloaded it at my place.  

bigfranks84
bigfranks84 Reader
9/16/19 12:48 a.m.

So I did a quick wash (ie glass cleaner) and put the pieces on to get a look.  

My original plan was to do a short chop style bike.  But this thing is actually in really good shape so I'm only going do some tidbits. 

I'll get some better looking blinkers, (rubber failing on these anyways) going to do the fork seals and oil, clean the carbs, and general maintenance that's required on an old bike.  

I checked the oil and made sure no debris was in the carbs. 30 minutes after I started working on it I had it farting and popping. Carbs were dirty but that was enough to start work on it. 

Ordered up a carb kit and waited until today to start on them. 

bigfranks84
bigfranks84 Reader
9/16/19 12:54 a.m.

Got a day early bday present from my exwife. 

Yes, I know the lid is upside down but it was hitting the carb bodies. 

So here's some pics , this was using about a 50/50 simple green and water and I set the temp at 60c then rinsed in water.  

Before 

Lifted the lid to take a look at the magic. 

And here are the results after a quick rinse in the sink that fought me all weekend.  

Not bad for a 30min run. Ran out of time to get the kits in tonight. Probably won't have a chance until Thursday to work on it again though.  

Carbs weren't really gummed up,  probably because the fuel pump died and it ran out if fuel and was parked.  

So I'm looking for a low psi (5-7ish) electric fuel pump that is actually reliable. All the aftermarket ones are garbage. 

After those pics I pulled the floats and jets and ran it though for another 20min. Then ran out of time and the little shop gets snug with two bikes but still better than working in gravel like I usually do.  

View from the love seat I have in there. 

Still need to do some more organizing and sell some more junk. But it's getting there and is a useable shop now.  It's 16x20 but the bathroom takes up 7x7ish. 

bigfranks84
bigfranks84 Reader
10/15/19 11:48 p.m.

Been working on the shadow and finally got it running. 

I now have to do everything else. 

Going put in new fork seals and oil.

Change the engine oil

Change the rearend oil.

Go through electrical

Check that the brakes and clutch work. 

Put in a new air filter and fuel filter 

Mount the new fuel pump 

Get some new turn signals 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners