1 2 3 4
BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter)
BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/18/20 6:39 p.m.

In reply to Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) :

The iPod adapters? There are plenty of aftermarket ones, but they all seem to suffer from short lifespans based on the feedback you see on Amazon or eBay. What you don't necessarily see that often are the original Alpine cables and I figured I'd rather have a spare or two if I need one.

Slippery (Forum Supporter)
Slippery (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/18/20 8:27 p.m.

Tim, was catching up with the thread and see you are in need of a rear caliper piston. If that is still the case PM me and I will get it and get you some pictures. I pulled it when it had very low miles so it should be like new. 

6/19/20 10:12 a.m.

In reply to Slippery (Forum Supporter) :

Thank you, I'm definitely interested in the caliper piston. Just sent you a PM.

Slippery (Forum Supporter)
Slippery (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/20/20 8:51 p.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter) :

Emailed you back. 

6/21/20 7:17 p.m.

Finally made the time to edit my Bride seat installation video:

6/21/20 7:51 p.m.

In reply to Slippery (Forum Supporter) :

Received and replied. Thank you very much. 

6/23/20 6:42 p.m.

I guess I'm still hopeful that I'll get back on the track this year, so I just ordered a set of RE-71Rs via Costco. They had a sale on (expires today) with $70 off the tires and $40 off installation. Hey, it's only money.

trumant (Forum Supporter)
trumant (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/23/20 7:14 p.m.

I never would have thought to check Costco for tire discounts. Now I know to keep an eye out, thank you!

6/23/20 7:21 p.m.

In reply to trumant (Forum Supporter) :

You're welcome - I've had good luck with Costco's tire discounts this year, got a set of BF Goodrich for the 911 at a nice discount and now the set for the S2k. One thing to keep in mind is that they're not an enthusiast tire shop and only have a limited selection. For example, they carry BF Goodrich, but don't carry the Rivals.

6/24/20 7:27 p.m.

Some catchup from the weekend. I hooked up the modifry DCI to check if it would work with this headunit - keep in mind that HU is from 06/07, although allegedly is should support steering wheel controls. Some fresh cable salad later and it's hooked up and working, yay:

One of the reasons I couldn't put the dash back together is that I was waiting for an Alpine iPod cable. All fourteen of them arrived yesterday, so the only remaining hurdle is to put the anti-squeak felt tape onto the various surfaces where plastic parts touch. Hopefully I should get it tomorrow and be able to put the interior back together on the weekend.

While I was in there I also put the modifry glovebox organiser. Fits like an, err, glove.

Oh, and here's the reason why I didn't want to use foam tape again - you can just about make out the remains of the foam that was on there originally.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
6/24/20 9:42 p.m.
BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to mr2s2000elise :

I'd still encourage you to take it to the track - mine made a lot more sense on the track than on the road while being right in VTEC-yo for at least half the lap. OTOH I now get to do another, more in depth brake refresh to maybe you are onto something. My main issue with it is that while it's a super competent car (albeit in need of some work), it's not quite grabbed me like some of the other cars I've owned.

Already have signed up other cars for the track. But with your encouragement, signed up the Stook for the 2 upcoming Rally nights. 

You nailed it with your last sentence. As a huge honda fanboi for years, having owned everything, except an NSX, it hasn't grabbed me either, and I have a total of 190K miles on 2 S2000. But I am too ashamed to admit it.

6/29/20 8:05 p.m.

In reply to mr2s2000elise :

Sounds like both of us need to buy NSXs to find out if we like them better

7/15/20 9:33 p.m.

Updates with pictures really soon, but at least a quick summary for now.

Yay, I'm waiting for more parts. At least it's a couple of small parts only that it'll drive without.

Doing to the brake calipers was a huge pain in the posterior but thanks to Slippery's generosity I had two extra rear ones I could raid for parts. The rear calipers were particular grotty, the front ones merely bad. The kicker is that this car lived in the Pacific NW and then in Florida, so rust isn't really an issue other than corrosion from all moisture that's be collecting in the brake fluid. At least they're back together now.

Did a shifter rebuild today after reinstalling the headunit and of course the soundproofing foam around the shifter turned into a very unpleasant gooey mess, so now I had to order that one.

The good news is that right now it's back on its own four wheels freshly shod in RE71s. I can take it out for a spin as is, although I'm waiting to put the rest of the interior together when the other parts arrive. Something has come up for the weekend so I won't make this month's HPDE either, but at least that allows me to finish putting the S2000 back together and use my 1-2 hours a night in the garage to go back to the 911 and try to get it inspection ready before the end of the month. Which may be a stretch, but I think it's easier to do that than turn the plate in, given that I can't get hold of anybody at the DMV and the next available appointment is sometime around the end of August.

7/16/20 3:57 p.m.

... and the dealer I use for Honda parts just cancelled the order for the soundproofing foam as it's on backorder. Yay.

This is really beginning to feel like Honda takes the "discontinuing parts after ten years" rather seriously.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PZdOgJ7HuR7sQfVs6Ftptw6khhX3kKfRZv1n4udcqNxxyLcnxj54jMDHyLgQIyq9