1 ... 13 14 15
Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/19/15 8:51 a.m.

For reference:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/wan/5274829847.html

I said: I'm looking for broken kc lights and/or crap tube bumpers you may have for a 1987 Toyota Pickup. A roll-bar that's taken a hit would be nice too. The worse they are the more I want them (rust/dents/bullet holes would be a plus). If you absolutely can not live without bumpers, I'd gladly trade you for the stock chrome ones on my truck (a few small dents included free!) Why? Glad you asked. My goal is to make my truck look like a beat-to-crap (post apocalyptic?) version of the Statler Toyota 4x4 from the first "Back to the Future" movie. Thanks in advance -Bill
java230
java230 Reader
10/19/15 11:14 a.m.

Oh boy... Ill keep an eye out.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/20/15 12:51 a.m.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/pts/5271643392.html

bgkast
10/20/15 12:55 a.m.

https://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/pts/5271761507.html

bgkast
10/20/15 1:01 a.m.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/pts/5274510899.html

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/pts/5264843765.html

bgkast
10/20/15 1:04 a.m.

Enabled.

Hungary Bill
10/20/15 8:24 a.m.

I maaaaaaay be able to swing by and look at that rollbar in spanaway...

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/23/15 8:28 a.m.

Interesting day yesterday.

On the way to the parts I kept hearing a lot of honking and I saw this (look in the mirror in front of that silver car):

(I don't know why the link keeps posting that sideways... anyhoo)

I'd say I was worried about someone running into it (I was pretty certain someone was going to) but really I just had a few cargo straps behind the seat and I wanted to see if I could win a tug-o-war.

2wd just spun the tires so I locked in the hubs and put it in low-range (don't all the best stories start that way? Almost like "hold my beer man, watch this")

I learned two things: That rock is heavy. My truck can spin front and back tires on pavement while in four-low (without clutch dumping or other abusive tactics)

Anyhoo, the rock didn't move, even when I moved the straps higher on the rock in an attempt to roll it, so I bungee corded a reflective vest to it. This morning on my way to work it was still there, but there were cones and a little road block in front of it. Apparently the city couldn't move it either

It's fun having my little truck back

Hungary Bill
10/23/15 8:33 a.m.

Forgot to mention: How did that rock get there? Rebellious kids?

No, I saw tire tracks in the dirt that was still attached to the rock. I'm thinking it was hit really hard... Where the car went, I don't know. You'd think that if it was totaled on the spot a tow truck would have showed up and maybe called the city or something so I figure whatever kind of car it was must have been able to drive off under it's own power (for a little ways at least).

Drunk maybe?

Mezzanine
Mezzanine HalfDork
10/23/15 10:24 a.m.

I love that you tried to drag it with your truck. Definitely a "hold my beer" sort of moment.

Hungary Bill
11/10/15 7:57 p.m.

It's fun having my little truck back

(some work, some play)

There's a mild ORV trail I plan to hit next, but I think my passenger front hub went and cooked itself. Maybe in the spring

Good times

Hungary Bill
5/31/16 11:39 p.m.

Still digging the reunion with this old girl

The Hungarling demanded we go "little stick offroad" (refering to the shorter 4wd stick shifter) Who was I to say no?

Good times

Hungary Bill
5/31/16 11:40 p.m.

Later that weekend after a little more dirt and a load of lumber

lnlogauge
lnlogauge Reader
6/1/16 7:54 a.m.

If you told me you were hauling around that big shed in the well placed background, I would have believed you.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
6/1/16 7:35 p.m.

Having fun in a running project car is such a cool thing. Garage art is nice and all, but being able to share the awesomeness by buckling your kids in and driving is better.

java230
java230 Dork
6/1/16 8:23 p.m.

Good to see it all dirty! I want to go little stick driving too

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Reader
6/2/16 9:13 a.m.

Little stick driving. That's fantastic...might have to steal that one. I've always loved those old split spoke toyota wheels, too.

Hungary Bill
6/13/16 4:15 p.m.

um... I did something bad

Build/travel log to follow

crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/14/16 12:26 a.m.

Sweet 4Runner! Old Toyota trucks are too much fun. My 30 year old Land Cruiser is the best overall DD I have ever had.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
6/14/16 9:11 a.m.

Does that mean the truck is gone! Say it ain't so!

Hungary Bill
6/14/16 9:51 a.m.

Nooooo no. Wouldn't do something THAT bad

We just needed something to get the second Hungarling out and into the sticks

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
6/14/16 10:25 a.m.

Thank god. For some reason I've attached myself to the idea that I want to fly and drive this truck back to Texas to give it a good home if it needs one someday. No logic behind that thought, but I've kind of fallen in love with the story and the work and the whole thing. And kind of wanting the truck keeps me from kind of wanting the Alfa.

Hungary Bill
6/14/16 11:19 a.m.

When the day comes, she's yours

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
6/14/16 3:55 p.m.

Glad to hear that! Looking forward to the build. Your approach to things is always entertaining.

1 ... 13 14 15

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8cmzorxMPMYZ3lm2C4HLloSYAPFoqgJ8lovf7tCCHF4eOJw1HDl82gPaIdSDpqgV