BanzaiBeast
BanzaiBeast New Reader
12/20/12 12:36 p.m.

I have developed an urge to build something but need to see it in a Picture. The idea is to take a '97 Ford Probe GT donor and build a tube chassis Middy from it. This project will take all the metal working skills I have and more.

I want to keep the windshield, doors, and that roof section. Tilt this section back about 10 degrees and relocate the engine/gearbox behind the seat. Form the rest of the body from fiberglass (back end similar to a Lotus Elise) with a square tube chassis. A lot of the other detail parts will come from the donor.

The donor is chosen because the shape of the glass, the 24valve/V-6 engine sits on the right, and the OEM wheels are the prettiest factory wheels ever made.

Please show me a Photoshop of this Project! Good or bad

Thanks, Greg

JohnInKansas
JohnInKansas Dork
12/20/12 12:57 p.m.

I'm working with cutting-edge image manipulation software, codenamed "Microsoft Paint". Were you thinking something like this?

BanzaiBeast
BanzaiBeast New Reader
12/20/12 1:05 p.m.

It has potential....

I am going to have to look into this a bit more. Thanks, Greg

JohnInKansas
JohnInKansas Dork
12/20/12 1:17 p.m.

The comment I'd make on the Elise tail is that my graft reduces the space between the rear axle and back of the trunk (the space your engine wants to live) by about 50%. Not sure on how much that would be, but guestimation says about 18" reduction in front-to-back space. That tail section could be shifted back to where the stock Probe trunk ends, but it would look different.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/20/12 2:55 p.m.

I'd probably just hack a stock Probe GT to locate a front suspension cradle to the rear and build a cage to hold it all in place/make moar stiffer. That's basically what Fiat, Toyota, GM, Renault, etc did when they built their Mid-engined cars, only without the cage (though the Fiat is hell for stout, until it rusts).

One could replace the rear hatch glass with vented plastic ala F40 with a piece of glass extending up to the roof from the front of the firewall to protect the squidgy organic bits from the cacophony. Place a small scoop under the new engine bay to help guide air up and out through the vented rear panel.

A lick o'paint and Bob's yer uncle!

BanzaiBeast
BanzaiBeast New Reader
12/20/12 4:42 p.m.
JohnInKansas wrote: The comment I'd make on the Elise tail is that my graft reduces the space between the rear axle and back of the trunk (the space your engine wants to live) by about 50%. Not sure on how much that would be, but guestimation says about 18" reduction in front-to-back space. That tail section could be shifted back to where the stock Probe trunk ends, but it would look different.

I think you're right about needing a little more length between the bulkhead and the axle. It would probably make the lines work a little prettier too.

MichaelYount
MichaelYount New Reader
12/21/12 12:01 p.m.

That approach would make it look more Evora and less Elise.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury UltimaDork
12/21/12 12:10 p.m.
JohnInKansas wrote: I'm working with cutting-edge image manipulation software, codenamed "Microsoft Paint". Were you thinking something like this?

I kinda really like that...looks sorta baby-vette-ish

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
geYCF8DoYBFRurecye1frIf40NcXEHbm8B00MazBwKCg5SkEBALdIKyXcVyehz6J