1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 ... 34
Bobcougarzillameister
Bobcougarzillameister MegaDork
11/6/17 9:54 a.m.

Running shorter belltech shocks for a 7" drop. 

Bobcougarzillameister
11/13/17 10:52 a.m.

driveshaft is off getting re-shortened another inch. Checked it at full droop and it's just bottoming out on the slip yoke at the carrier bearing, which pushed it forward into the trans too deep. So another inch gives us plenty of wiggle room. 

Mr. Lee
Mr. Lee GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/13/17 8:06 p.m.

I really didn't need to see this thread. I've been casually shopping late 60's early 70's trucks as I'm wanting to pull the trigger on one next year. This thread makes the want far more significant. 

VERY NICELY DONE!

Bobcougarzillameister
12/4/17 9:51 a.m.

OK, shes back on hte road. Changed the thermostat yesterday and added actual antifreeze. It had a 180* stat in it that was almost pure water. Wouldn't open until the gauge read 220-230 then ran about 180-ish after. New stat I bought is a 160. Does the same thing, only now it runs about 170. what gives?

Also, choke doesn't work, which explains the bog when cold. 

759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
12/4/17 10:36 a.m.

Is the choke  affixed to the intake manifold ? If so, with your cooler temps, the bi-metal spring thingy is unable to function properly.

Bobcougarzillameister
12/4/17 10:39 a.m.

standard SBC aluminum intake, thermostat sits in front under the top hose. It was doing this before when it was 90* outside. 

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
12/4/17 6:55 p.m.

I've gone through three different thermostats, and ALL of them run hotter, then open and settle to a lower temp.

Let me know if you EVER find a good rad cap.

Bobcougarzillameister
12/4/17 7:26 p.m.

In reply to SkinnyG :

It’s just so odd. I’ve had sbc’s and 4.3v6’s for decades and never had this issue. Although they were all fi and newerish 

Bobcougarzillameister
12/4/17 7:27 p.m.
759NRNG said:

Is the choke  affixed to the intake manifold ? If so, with your cooler temps, the bi-metal spring thingy is unable to function properly.

I misread this earlier. The choke is on the QFT carb

759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
12/4/17 8:00 p.m.

And I misread(viewed) this also, that your carb is a holley derivative with an electric choke of some fashion?

Bobcougarzillameister
12/5/17 8:20 a.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

Yep. It’s essentially a 650 double pumper with electric choke. Built by quick fuel technologies 

759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
12/5/17 8:44 a.m.

For some reason I seem  to recall some 'adjustability' with these  chokes.....rotating the housing a notch or two?

Bobcougarzillameister
12/5/17 9:17 a.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

That's what I'm seeing too. I did the same thing on the Edelbrock. I just haven't had time to deal with it right this moment. Getting something in the engine and radiator that wouldn't freeze at 30*F was a bigger priority. It's got no heater so not really driving it right now anyway. But it does explain why it was so finicky when cold. 

759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
12/5/17 2:43 p.m.

Split radiators and cracked blocks are way below average....

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
12/5/17 2:54 p.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

Does that mean im an above average fool since ive dont both multiple times?

And yes, holly choke is adjustale. No clicks, just rotation. 

759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
12/5/17 2:58 p.m.
Dusterbd13 said:

In reply to 759NRNG :

Does that mean im an above average fool since ive dont both multiple times?

And yes, holly choke is adjustale. No clicks, just rotation. 

Dbd13, your dady needs to learnt yu some preventive maintenanzt.....

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
12/5/17 3:03 p.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

There is nothing so permanent as a temporary solution.....

Crackers
Crackers HalfDork
12/5/17 3:05 p.m.

Oh... This reminds me I need to put antifreeze in my truck. LOL

I knew I'd have to open it back up to replace a lower hose that's been sitting behind the seat for the last several months.

Off to check the forecast. indecision

Bobcougarzillameister
12/5/17 3:19 p.m.

granted it would allow me a rebuild and aluminum 4-core radiator sooner...... 

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/5/17 4:54 p.m.
Mr. Lee said:

I really didn't need to see this thread. I've been casually shopping late 60's early 70's trucks as I'm wanting to pull the trigger on one next year. This thread makes the want far more significant. 

VERY NICELY DONE!

Seriously. I'm in the same casually shopping situation and this thread isn't helping. At. All.  

759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
12/5/17 5:57 p.m.
Dusterbd13 said:

In reply to 759NRNG :

sorry BCZM for the hijack.....but Dbd13 from what master of all things mechanical was this taken from??? Freudengearheadnaftu???? 

Bobcougarzillameister
12/5/17 5:58 p.m.

In reply to thatsnowinnebago :

you know what makes these so awesome? There's so much stuff you can do with them. and all hte parts and pieces are still available from somewhere if you have the monies. and they're awesome. 

759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
12/5/17 6:11 p.m.

Pssst.......thatsnownnebago,I hear that Cousin Eddy is fixin'  to move his C10 stepside in march of next year......check it

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
12/5/17 6:12 p.m.
759NRNG said:
Dusterbd13 said:

In reply to 759NRNG :

sorry BCZM for the hijack.....but Dbd13 from what master of all things mechanical was this taken from??? Freudengearheadnaftu???? 

I don't remember where i heard it. So I'll blame dad.

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie Reader
12/5/17 7:02 p.m.
759NRNG said:

Pssst.......thatsnownnebago,I hear that Cousin Eddy is fixin'  to move his C10 stepside in march of next year......check it

I've been driving the truck a bit lately while my Miata is apart. Every time I drive it, the sale price goes up a little bit. If we have a mild winter here in Texas, and I keep putting miles on it, come March no one will be able to afford it.

1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 ... 34

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Hsb77409qCvflKCHSwUoFqkEkS09eYBCqTKd3ISXmeYWvpiCSpKo9x40guY28lYo