1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 ... 34
Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
3/9/18 1:43 p.m.

Sliders like that, yes. Typically on a frame like yours, a box section of steel is bolted or welded in place where the rear hangar/shackle are, with the eye of the spring in the same location vertically as it was with the stock arrangements.  It eliminates binding and flex due to the leverage of the shackles and the rubber bushings. It will actually make the rear end feel softer as thers so much freer movement. 

Does that help?

Bob the REAL oil guy.
Bob the REAL oil guy. MegaDork
3/9/18 2:00 p.m.

the rubber bushings are gone and got replaced with poly bushings late last fall when I did the c-notch and flip kit. Everything is freshly greased and lubed. I had to buy a pair of stock shackles when I realized that the previous owner had used 2" drop shackles and that put the diff on the bumpstop. 

Bob the REAL oil guy.
3/15/18 9:46 a.m.

WELL.... HELL. Drove the truck into work today. There was a small puddle of coolant under the truck. Couldn't find any leaks but yet the front of the passenger head at the gasket was damp. Got to work, 5 minutes later there's a massive puddle. If it is the head gasket, new engine is happening a lot sooner than I wanted. 

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/15/18 10:27 a.m.

In reply to Bob the REAL oil guy. :

Does it have aluminum heads?

Bob the REAL oil guy.
3/15/18 10:30 a.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett :

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! no. But it will. It's a lump of cast iron, with more cast iron sitting on top of cast iron.

EDIT: co-workers blew it out of proportion. IT's about as bad as it was at home. about a quart. 

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
3/15/18 10:35 a.m.

If I remember right there's a freeze plug right around there. Also don't rule out water pump gasket failure. However I strongly recommend an aluminum headed engine

Pete Gossett
3/15/18 11:27 a.m.

Since they're iron heads a blown head gasket isn't super likely. The freeze plugs are lower down on the front of the block, so I don't think that's it either. My first guess/check would be the intake manifold gaskets. 

Bob the REAL oil guy.
3/15/18 12:13 p.m.

Engine is happening. That's a done deal. Wife told me to sell the Rio and use the money towards one lap and an engine.  It could be the intake and the front coolant crossover. It's very hard to tell. IT only does it under pressure after shutdown. I would go home tonight and watch it, but its the wife's birthday so that's not happening.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
3/15/18 2:09 p.m.

Please tell me its an efi stroker sbc with used circle track parts and high compression. 

Please.

I'll even GIVE you a dynamic ebl for tbi if you do it. 

Holly projection 4bbl tbi, single plane, dart heads, hydraulic roller cam, 11:1 compression through a set of long tubes and magnaflows.

I may need a minute....

Bob the REAL oil guy.
3/15/18 2:27 p.m.

No, I'm trying to be reasonable. roller motor, 64cc heads, ~10:1 compression (7cc dish and .041 gasket), reasonable cam (.495/.503, 269/276). I'm shooting for 350-375 at the flywheel, 350tq. Nothing crazy. I'll keep my 650 DP for now. 

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
3/15/18 2:48 p.m.

Nothing crazy???

Meh. Thats no fun....

Granted if i had to do it over again i would build a mild motor in the duster instead of the 425rwhp high strung one i built. So your plans are definitely reasonable. 

Bob the REAL oil guy.
3/15/18 2:55 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13 :

I helped one of my best friends build a 351 windsor for a fox body. I watched him go bottom of the page for the cam, pistons etc. Thing was 12.5:1, couldn't idle just merely shook everything to death etc. He had nothing but issues trying to keep the thing road worthy. The I watched him build his 13:1 Cleveland and bend rods etc. I will go mild. If I need more motor, LS it is. 

Bob the REAL oil guy.
3/16/18 9:04 a.m.

Spot on Pete. Add a loose hose clamp on the radiator and there was the puddle. 

Pete Gossett
3/16/18 9:55 a.m.

Glad you found it!

Bob the REAL oil guy.
3/16/18 11:02 a.m.

Still not getting fixed. lol "Sorry sweetie, it's going to cost too much to fix this old engine. We will just have to hurry up and build the new engine."

It also answers my question of why my idle goes UP when it warms up. I'm guessing its warming up and creating a small vacuum leak. 

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo MegaDork
3/17/18 9:35 a.m.
Bob the REAL oil guy. said:

No, I'm trying to be reasonable. roller motor, 64cc heads, ~10:1 compression (7cc dish and .041 gasket), reasonable cam (.495/.503, 269/276). I'm shooting for 350-375 at the flywheel, 350tq. Nothing crazy. I'll keep my 650 DP for now. 

Just don't assume a .041 gasket will get you that unless the block was/will be cut for zero deck. Stock is ~9.025 deck height with a 9.000 parts stack, there's a .015 shim gasket for getting .040 clearance with the stock deck.

Bob the REAL oil guy.
3/18/18 5:19 p.m.

Huuuuuuuge thanks to Patrick on this. Pulled a valve cover, intake and head. It may be dirty in the outside but it’s really clean inside for an engine that’s been sitting for a while. 

Also put in 632 miles today in a little over 9 hours of driving. Feel good. But the. Again those Sierra seats are better than my couch. 22.1 mpg at 77mph didn’t hurt. 

Bob the REAL oil guy.
3/19/18 1:43 p.m.

Pretty clean inside. 

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
3/19/18 2:16 p.m.

I should have taken that when i had the chance. 

But i am heeding the sirens call of ls.....

Bob the REAL oil guy.
3/19/18 2:32 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13 :

I just can't with this. old school air cleaner and all. I might eventually EFI but it'll still be something that allows me to use that 14x5 air cleaner.

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/19/18 4:33 p.m.

Glad it’s going to get used 

Bob the REAL oil guy.
3/19/18 4:48 p.m.

that reminds me... there are a pair of TBI heads and an aluminum TBI intake to anyone that wants them. Free-99 to whomever. 

Bob the REAL oil guy.
4/9/18 9:34 a.m.

Finally got the engine apart. Looking at the bearings, I'd say I could have honed the cylinders, slapped on new rings and run it for years. They were clean and good. Calling the machine shop I used to use tomorrow to see if he's still in business. 

Bob the REAL oil guy.
4/14/18 5:32 p.m.

Bob the REAL oil guy.
4/14/18 5:47 p.m.

Did a lot of work today to get ready for the first event of the season. Tightened every coolant hose changed the oil put in a new fuel filter, greased all the bad joints and tie rods. Actually installed the fire extinguisher emptied the truck of junk. 

Also learned that if you have a locker and one tire has 40psi and the other 22 it causes some strange handling characteristics. 

Onenother thing don’t leave your autox magnets on the bench while you do metal work like cutting and shaving. Getting all that crap off sucks!

1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 ... 34

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GkfIZ0Ev9BP53slqrOlRmCHcTKor8oOXDT6Fwta7y7E82YTv55Lh43qNxmauYHiZ