1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 ... 34
SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
9/5/18 11:45 p.m.

Early 70's Chevelle headers apparently don't hang low at all, and fit well. I have not tried.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
9/6/18 12:39 a.m.

Quick Googling...

Apparently these also fit:

https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/sum-g9001/overview/

But - the higher the collector site, you may have issues with the pipe clearing the trans crossmember.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/6/18 1:31 p.m.

In reply to SkinnyG :

I think I'll try these: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g9001-9/overview/

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro Dork
9/6/18 1:58 p.m.

Chevelle headers do fit quite well, put some in a 83 K10 I had. Did have to mod the passengers side a bit, but that was more of a precaution to provide extra clearance for the 4wd stuff.

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
9/6/18 5:35 p.m.

Cool,  I’ll try a car set next.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/7/18 7:58 a.m.

OK, got the rocker studs in yesterday. My original idea was to use the stock rocker arms from the TBI heads (Self-aligning). Dropped them on and there seems to be something missing. they drop down to the head. I'm trying to remember but do the stock TBI head studs have a shoulder they fit on? 

If so, that means I need new rockers and if I'm doing new rockers I'll go full roller because why not. IF I do that means I need new guide plates too. Any recommendations for which y'all like best? 

SkinnyG
SkinnyG UltraDork
9/7/18 9:40 a.m.

I ran my truck with stock rockers and with roller rockers.  I noticed zero difference in performance.  Save your money.

Though the cam companies all say you will be much happier with roller rockers.

As far as I have seen, TBI heads use normal SBC studs, they are still half-turn past zero last.  Are your pushrods too short?

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/7/18 10:13 a.m.

In reply to SkinnyG :

probably. It just seems that the rocker sits so far down the stud. I'll take a good look tonight. 

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/7/18 10:51 a.m.

I thought a certain claimed "master" of engines show on youtube did a rocker comparison before they went behind a paywall?  Or am I remembering that incorrectly?

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/7/18 5:17 p.m.

I guess I always assumed the rocker sat on the base of the stud but it doesn’t does it? The tension on the spring and the pushrod set the height on the stud. 

I retest fit the tbi rocker and pushrods and they fit perfect when actually tightened appropriately 

Mr. Lee
Mr. Lee GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/7/18 5:46 p.m.
sleepyhead said:

I thought a certain claimed "master" of engines show on youtube did a rocker comparison before they went behind a paywall?  Or am I remembering that incorrectly?

Nah they did one. You're right.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG UltraDork
9/7/18 7:08 p.m.

If you're using thread in studs, you need to change to Poly-Locks.  The thread onto the stud, but use a set screw in the end to "lock" them onto the stud (instead of the self-locking nut kind of thing the factory uses).

Then there are Poly-Locks for roller rockers, and different ones for stamped steel rockers. 

Using the factory lock nut may unscrew the stud when you adjust them.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/9/18 4:43 p.m.

Uh oh. Things are getting serious. Found the number 2 exhaust valve loose and the intake looser. 

And list of things to still buy. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/10/18 4:32 a.m.

Ok all but the starter on the list have been ordered and will be here this week. The starter I should have on warranty at auto zone so I’m just planning to go swap it out. Also not pictured were engine mounts that for $7 each would be stupid to not replace. 

Once the power steering pump and lines are in I’ll figure out a cooler setup for it. Still need things like oil, plugs, wires and coolant but that’s not high priority just yet. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/11/18 6:23 p.m.

Little work tonight. Should have been mowing the yard but this seemed more funner. 

Cleaned up the original tin that came on the engine from Patrick. About 2 hours spent cleaning the rust up and 3 coats of black engine paint later:

Theyre not perfect but they look better than any other part of the truck sans bed floor. Oil pan was salable too but I need to stick it in the parts washer before I paint it. 

Pulled the carb. I think I’m going to run the regulator on the firewall just above the heater hoses and run the line down in from the back to the Holley. Is this a bad place? The fender well looks so far away and I’m trying to shorten the fuel lines and make it less cluttered. 

No parts arrived today. FedEx decided they didn’t want to bother apparently. So tomorrow I should be getting headers, fuel pump and regulator, pushrods engine mounts and power steering pump and hoses. Once I have the pushrods I can button up the engine. I’ll be much happier when I get that done. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/13/18 12:44 p.m.

finally the pushrods, dipstick, mounts and fuel pump/regulator arrived. During lunch I slipped in the passenger side lifters, retainers, pushrods and rockers. Tonight I have to mow, but tomorrow I plan on getting the valve train finished and the oil pump/pan on. then she'll be ready to add oil and prime.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/16/18 4:19 p.m.

So yeah. I did some things. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/17/18 7:41 a.m.

OK, I'm not 25yo any more. Damn my body hurts today. 

As thing sit this morning.

This week I'm going to try and get the fuel system plumbed, the oil pan cleaned, painted and installed and the oil pump primed. I did get the valves adjusted (preliminary. I'll do them again after its ran for a bit to make sure). Hopefully next weekend I can get the engine bay cleaned/powerwashed, the engine completely assembled and attached to the trans ready to swing in. 

I need to find a new P/S bracket and upper alternator bracket. 

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
9/17/18 7:50 a.m.

Stop being so old and get that new motor in Bob. cheeky

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
9/17/18 8:19 a.m.

John Deere blitz black is a perfect and bomb proof engine bay paint.

Do it now while the engine is out. Trust me.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/17/18 8:22 a.m.

I've got 2 cans of engine paint with ceramic that looks fantastic.  Anyone have extra SBC brackets? Summit has a complete kit for alt/ps with pulleys and bolts for $107. If I don't find anything else in the next couple of days I"ll just order those. 

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/17/18 8:24 a.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

Stop being so old and get that new motor in Bob. cheeky

I think he's stopped doing the burpees I proscribed for him back in May wink

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/17/18 8:32 a.m.

In reply to sleepyhead :

Yeah, screw those. I have been getting more active and doing things again, which has given me aches and pains and lost weight. 

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
9/17/18 9:05 a.m.

I was talking about the bay/firewall/inner fenders etc.

Agreed that ceramic spray paint  is the best spray paint for an engine. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/17/18 9:51 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13 :

oH, I know. I was going to use what I have. It won't take much because all the original paint is still there! 

EDIT: also found this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073RC92PR/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1TNMI4LHV0ZX&psc=1

1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 ... 34

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xhvyZAl4MM0YaDyKmYWIA0bVBCqrI8KOgSkz6ot9TAVMo6ILTDVijQr1yefkqXyR