1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 ... 34
Mr. Lee
Mr. Lee GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/7/18 10:36 p.m.

Keep killing it Bob. This is the exact truck I want for a daily! Thanks for the inspiration! 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
10/8/18 7:20 a.m.

Saturday we hosted a fall party at our house, so no work got done on the truck other than the teardown. Because of Saturday's festivities yesterday was spent recovering. Jeebus... I'm getting old. While still no "hangover" in the traditional sense, my knees were sore from being on my feet all day and my body was tired from the amount of alcohol I injested and the fact that I didn't go to bed until 1AM. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
10/8/18 8:25 a.m.

Speaking of... I need to upload some pics of the bearings. There is some really odd wear on the backside of these things I've not seen before. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
10/20/18 3:05 p.m.

Well. After several weeks of doing nothing I finally got a couple of things done. Fuel system is fully plumbed. Wiring ran to the fuse box. Have to wait until I have the rest of the wiring hooked up to find which circuit is which. 

also opened the trans tunnel hole a bit more. Got the drivers side header in only to realize that Chevrolet headers require car oil filter. So I’ll have to get one from the parts store. Also got the power steering cooler plumbed and radiator and lines attached. 

I like the routing of the fuel line a lot better. It’s outside the frame rail and has breathing room from the header. Fuel filter is upstream just off the feed line from the tank and the pump is even with the bottom of the tank. 

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
10/20/18 4:55 p.m.

Whats the deal with the yellow fog pointing to the side of the truck?

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
10/20/18 5:23 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13 :

no idea. They were on the truck not hooked up when I bought it.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
10/20/18 5:55 p.m.

Weight reduction!

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
10/20/18 7:47 p.m.

Funny you say that. The nose of the truck is sitting almost an inch higher than before with the aluminum heads, lighter intake and brackets. 

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
11/10/18 11:00 a.m.
Dusterbd13 said:

Whats the deal with the yellow fog pointing to the side of the truck?

Po Boy underbody lighting ala New Mexico........

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/13/18 1:13 p.m.

I did a thing. Happy birthday and Christmas to me!

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/13/18 1:39 p.m.

sweet

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
11/13/18 2:15 p.m.

Just got word that we're returning to Grissom for the One Lap autocross and my brain was instantly "sweet! We get to see Bob's truck!" 

Your truck better be running Bob. It's important. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/13/18 2:52 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

With any luck, it may fire up this weekend for the first time. Just in time to be stored for winter. 

AxeHealey
AxeHealey GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/13/18 3:29 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13 :

I was thinking "I'd never think to put a dummy light to see if the fuel pump was working / getting power" ... It sounds pretty dummy when I see it typed out.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/15/18 7:32 a.m.

So ordered Tuesday came in yesterday. 

So no spacers. Front fits lock to lock with 1/2 to 3/4” clearance on the sway bar and control arm. 10.5’s probably would have been fine. The rear....... lets say that a 9.5” wheel looks ridiculously small. Should have ordered 12’s. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
11/15/18 7:34 a.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

Amazon has pretty easy returns...

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
11/15/18 7:54 a.m.
John Welsh said:

In reply to bobzilla :

Amazon has pretty easy returns...

I would.  You'll always rrgret not cramming all the rubber and wheel you can in there. 

mazdeuce - Seth
11/15/18 7:57 a.m.

A 9.5 is what, a 275? You can cantilever more tire on, but 275 isn't enough tire for the truck. We run that on the Civic and we'd run 295's if they'd fit. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/15/18 8:45 a.m.

Problem with 10.5's is the extra $400 in just wheels. Now we're talking a grand in wheels. Plus 295 tires are now $1300 a year. The truck is a ton of fun with 255's on the front and all season crap tires on the back. put 275's on all 4 corners and it'll be even more fun. 

Remember, this is not an auto-x/track only build. It's a driver, that sees 10-15 events a year. It's also a weekend cruiser, daily driver, overall fun to drive entertaining truck that doesn't have to be the fastest on track. Locally, we have a 77 T/A that is currently 9-10 seconds faster than me on a 60 second course. There's nothing in my budget that is going to make me faster than him. Also a 73 Firechicken with an LSswap with 315's. THose guys are fast. I'm just there for the giggles. 

mazdeuce - Seth
11/15/18 9:55 a.m.

Ok, when you put it that way, 275's are a good compromise. Carry on. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/15/18 11:49 a.m.

I'll probably end up with 285/40's eventually. Just not this coming year. and 285's square on a 3500lb truck with 350-400 hp will be more fun than a poke in the eye. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/18/18 2:29 p.m.

Ok spark plug issues aside, still got stuff done. Fuel system doesn’t leak and filled the carb bowls. Power steering system filled. Plugs and headers installed. 

A little closer. Still feels like a long way to go 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/19/18 10:41 a.m.

Also how do I get the air out of the p/lines and cooler?

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
11/19/18 11:55 a.m.

Cycle wheels back and forth. Doing it on a non running engine may not work. I always fire it up, shut it right back down, add fluid. Do that a couple of times, then 1/4 turn either way. Repeat until lock to lock us smooth and reservoir is full.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/19/18 1:45 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

Cycle wheels back and forth. Doing it on a non running engine may not work. I always fire it up, shut it right back down, add fluid. Do that a couple of times, then 1/4 turn either way. Repeat until lock to lock us smooth and reservoir is full.

Not sure if it’s different on this generation, but on my gmt400 it specifically stated NOT to do it with the engine running. Also don’t cycle it lock-to-lock, only about 2/3 in each direction. 

1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 ... 34

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IyjwnAlWF6KFH79QVXjbxfibPmZDIgXwwPvZC4zazHrDz4m1dKzzvpGxUgQx1roK