1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 ... 70
BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo UltimaDork
11/24/16 1:42 a.m.

How bad is the one you have? It's just a gear on a sprag clutch, even if it did sit full of water to a point of locking up it might be ok (at least for a while) after sufficient drowning in oil and working it loose. I drove a car for 3 years with a failing drive that would grind on the first try every 5th start or so, always caught on the second, sold it that way too.

corsepervita
corsepervita Reader
11/24/16 2:21 a.m.

Well, I'm determined to figure out the starter issue. Finished the runner holes on the CF bits tonight. I hate math. But I'll do math if I need to in order to get things proper.

Don't mind the messy look, the plastic is still on them and covered in dust and frayed. I left it on so the CF doesn't fray and splinter and have issues. I'll clean it up and present the final bit of ITB mount #1 tomorrow when I get time.

Thankfully I get tomorrow and friday off, and everyone I know is out of town for thanksgiving. My girlfriend also went out of town with her family. So it's me, her dog, and lots of car goodies to play with for thanskgiving and all weekend.

I tried to hand him a wrench to see if he would help me work on the car, but he thinks everything is food.

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
11/24/16 8:01 a.m.
Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/24/16 8:24 a.m.

In reply to RossD:

Holy cross-reference guide.

corsepervita
corsepervita Reader
11/24/16 3:36 p.m.
eebasist
eebasist Reader
11/24/16 6:19 p.m.

http://www.venselenterprises.com/techtipsfromdick_files/starterdriverebuilding.pdf

Looks easy and cheap to repair

corsepervita
corsepervita Reader
11/24/16 9:09 p.m.

Alright, someone referred a guy to me after seeing one of my posts, dude's name is Donnie. Apparently has been working on lambos and ferraris for 30 years, familiar with these starters and says he can rebuild it. He's going to call me tomorrow. Dude has quite a few mutual friends on fb, and he looks to know his stuff, asked a few people who know him and his references check out.

Will find out more tomorrow.

I didn't do much today. I played video games, and smoked a few cigars. I needed a break from work and cars.

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/24/16 9:17 p.m.

sometimes knowing when to rest is the most important. It's good to know that.

corsepervita
corsepervita Reader
11/26/16 1:49 p.m.

I might have found a good used starter at an exotic shop. My fingers and nuts are crossed on this one. Calling me back today or monday.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/26/16 5:29 p.m.

If you need another starter source:

http://www.aeimich.com/ 248-354-2082

They deal with all sorts of Euro oddness.

corsepervita
corsepervita Reader
11/29/16 1:08 a.m.

FOUND A GOOD USED STARTER! Bought and shipped! sigh of relief Giant thanks to the guys at lambopower for that one for finding someone who had one laying around on some shelf collecting dust at random.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
11/30/16 1:27 p.m.
corsepervita wrote: I'll clean it up and present the final bit of ITB mount #1 tomorrow when I get time.

[toes tapping] Soooo....?!?!? [/ toes tapping]

corsepervita
corsepervita Reader
12/1/16 12:51 a.m.
4cylndrfury wrote:
corsepervita wrote: I'll clean it up and present the final bit of ITB mount #1 tomorrow when I get time.
[toes tapping] Soooo....?!?!? [/ toes tapping]

E36 M3 has hit the fan at work, stupid busy. I'll try and post tomorrow.

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/1/16 11:16 a.m.

we'll be here and happy for updates when you can, don't stress over us :)

corsepervita
corsepervita Reader
12/4/16 9:47 p.m.

Alright, need to move the notch out further on plate #2 for the center heim joint. Aside from that, these are finished and ready to go on the car, minus the nuts to hold them on, 1 stud, and the linkage. Missing the little studs on the linkage that I received, so I had to order the ball studs.

corsepervita
corsepervita Reader
12/10/16 9:39 p.m.

Finally got everything I needed with the snaprings and linkage and hardware. Finally, working throttle bodies.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke SuperDork
12/10/16 11:23 p.m.

Go on....

ae86andkp61
ae86andkp61 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/11/16 4:05 p.m.

Yes! This thread continues to deliver! Keep up the good work!

corsepervita
corsepervita Reader
12/11/16 9:14 p.m.

ITBs finished, ready to go on the car minus the injector harness and lines. Which is going to be easiest to do with the engine in front of me. Linkage finished, new snapring grooves cut carefully. Heim joint holes notched a bit, and heim joints lubricated. It works happy as a clam.

Black and white because artsy fartsy "ohh ahhhh itbs are neato". (i'm actually really excited about this)

mbruneaux
mbruneaux Reader
12/12/16 6:46 a.m.
corsepervita wrote: ITBs finished, ready to go on the car minus the injector harness and lines. Which is going to be easiest to do with the engine in front of me. Linkage finished, new snapring grooves cut carefully. Heim joint holes notched a bit, and heim joints lubricated. It works happy as a clam. Black and white because artsy fartsy "ohh ahhhh itbs are neato". (i'm actually really excited about this)

Looks great! And there are a lot of us that are excited too!

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
12/12/16 8:10 a.m.

MMmmmmm, looks vintage.

The0retical
The0retical Dork
12/12/16 1:33 p.m.

Oh man those came out great.

java230
java230 Dork
12/12/16 1:41 p.m.
The0retical wrote: Oh man those came out great.

X2 that's dead sexy!

corsepervita
corsepervita Reader
12/13/16 12:42 a.m.

Came by the machinist tonight to drop off a few things. He had finished balancing everything earlier this week and wanted to show me the static balance. This doesn't demonstrate the dynamic balance, but even the static balance had me going, "damn!"

I don't know how to upload it off my fb so I'll just post the link anyway. Static crank balance for the Jalpa

I can barely touch it with the tip of a finger to rotate it. No bobbing back and forth, up or down, rocking. Just wow.

He did hook it up after to show me how the dynamic balance works on his machine. I'm unbelievably stoked on how well balanced this motor is going to be. I would say I'm astonished that the factory didn't do so great. But at the same time, given all the things I've had to change, and that he has had to improve, I'm also kind of not surprised.

Regardless, this is going to feel rewarding once finished.

84FSP
84FSP Dork
12/13/16 7:24 a.m.

We'll need to see more on the balancing if you have more to share. I have heard the difference in the balanced VW FSP motors vs the std setups and you just can't believe they are the identical motor. Makes me REALLY tempted to try this on the 16V to get me back to competitive in the class.

1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 ... 70

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ojMU2QKMB21vOmGBYExNKCTdFu0KiSPQzy3ar5BfhJV7cNY6xOTxjwAAKRmHahXx