1 ... 47 48 49 50 51 ... 70
corsepervita
corsepervita HalfDork
8/17/17 4:20 p.m.
Woody wrote: Porsches have a parking light feature where you put the left turn signal light on with the engine off and it lights up the driver's side of the car. Maybe it's a European law, kind of like the fog tail light. Could it be for something like that? Or maybe for a fog tail light now that I think of it?

You know, that's an interesting thought. I could try that.

corsepervita
corsepervita HalfDork
8/17/17 4:27 p.m.
Mezzanine wrote: Hey Derek, I'm shopping for some DCNF throttle bodies and it looks like you're running the Borla (née TWM) version. Borla and Jenvey are the only game around, and while the Borlas are more expensive, by the time you get the Jenveys over here from the UK, it isn't a big difference. Do you have any critical feedback on the Borla throttles given the experience you've had with them to date? I'm still shopping and thought I'd check with you to see how they've been so far (understanding you still haven't driven the car).

While I haven't driven the car I would say this is my experience overall:

• The customer service over there is absolutely incredible. I've dealt with a gentleman named Gary, who specializes in european cars, and he understands them top to bottom. Any time I've had some weird question, or any kind of potential issue, gary has had an answer, data, or something to help. Borla stands behind their product incredibly well. That in and of itself to me, is worth quite a lot.
  • The manufacturing quality is very good. The aluminum they use is not porous, and everything is shaped well and cut properly, everything is crisp.
  • The fitment was actually a complete drop in. It was a piece of cake. They mounted right up where the previous dcnfs were, and on top of this, were easier to install due to being a different shape. I will note, however, that because of the fuel rail they would not fit in the stock airboxes for me. This is fine, as I plan on using my own solution. So there is that.
  • I found that their linkage worked just as well as the stock linkage. With minor modification was able to actually use the original linkage. Theirs, however, worked far better, and was also a direct drop in.
  • Their TPS is very overpriced, however, in my opinion. It's probably a $15-30 part, but I think they charged more like $100. That in itself is a bit silly. BUT, it is made to drop right onto the ITBs, so the "easy" factor for me was worth it. In the future I'll probably try and whip up my own.
  • Synchronizing them isn't too bad, they are easy to adjust. It should be noted though that if the adjustment for idle is set a little bit too low and the plates close too far, they will stick. I've noticed this, and another member mentioned that his stuck when they were hot too. Though mine don't do this once the idle is properly adjusted.
  • With some minor modifications you can use the original airhorns from your DCNFs if you so decide to, though the diameter may be slightly different. Or you can buy their airhorns, which to me were overpriced. Using the stock horns has been fine thus far.
  • Standard DCNF weber gasket kits work perfectly fine for them for sealing, so no special gaskets needed, same with hardware, same with linkage, etc.
  • Unlikely you'll need a return spring for your throttle. The springs on them are very rigid, and with all 4 of mine in place, my throttle snaps back in place pretty damn easy.
  • Throttle response thus far seems to be incredibly good for just idling, blips, and what not.

I will give more feedback once the car is on the road regarding drivability etc. So far though... the customer service and product is good.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo MegaDork
8/17/17 4:28 p.m.

Looked like a pretty typical transverse transaxle to me, like you'd fidn in any FWD car. I think those usually eat around 15%.

corsepervita
corsepervita HalfDork
8/17/17 4:38 p.m.
BrokenYugo wrote: Looked like a pretty typical transverse transaxle to me, like you'd fidn in any FWD car. I think those usually eat around 15%.

That should have put it around 215hp... ish... 170 seems pretty darn low.

I'm optimistic though. We shall see what I put down.

Mezzanine
Mezzanine Dork
8/18/17 1:04 p.m.
corsepervita wrote: While I haven't driven the car I would say this is my experience overall: - The customer service over there is absolutely incredible. I've dealt with a gentleman named Gary, who specializes in european cars, and he understands them top to bottom. Any time I've had some weird question, or any kind of potential issue, gary has had an answer, data, or something to help. Borla stands behind their product incredibly well. That in and of itself to me, is worth quite a lot. - The manufacturing quality is very good. The aluminum they use is not porous, and everything is shaped well and cut properly, everything is crisp. - The fitment was actually a complete drop in. It was a piece of cake. They mounted right up where the previous dcnfs were, and on top of this, were easier to install due to being a different shape. I will note, however, that because of the fuel rail they would not fit in the stock airboxes for me. This is fine, as I plan on using my own solution. So there is that. - I found that their linkage worked just as well as the stock linkage. With minor modification was able to actually use the original linkage. Theirs, however, worked far better, and was also a direct drop in. - Their TPS is very overpriced, however, in my opinion. It's probably a $15-30 part, but I think they charged more like $100. That in itself is a bit silly. BUT, it is made to drop right onto the ITBs, so the "easy" factor for me was worth it. In the future I'll probably try and whip up my own. - Synchronizing them isn't too bad, they are easy to adjust. It should be noted though that if the adjustment for idle is set a little bit too low and the plates close too far, they will stick. I've noticed this, and another member mentioned that his stuck when they were hot too. Though mine don't do this once the idle is properly adjusted. - With some minor modifications you can use the original airhorns from your DCNFs if you so decide to, though the diameter may be slightly different. Or you can buy their airhorns, which to me were overpriced. Using the stock horns has been fine thus far. - Standard DCNF weber gasket kits work perfectly fine for them for sealing, so no special gaskets needed, same with hardware, same with linkage, etc. - Unlikely you'll need a return spring for your throttle. The springs on them are very rigid, and with all 4 of mine in place, my throttle snaps back in place pretty damn easy. - Throttle response thus far seems to be incredibly good for just idling, blips, and what not. I will give more feedback once the car is on the road regarding drivability etc. So far though... the customer service and product is good.

Woah, thanks so much for the detailed review. Your experience with Borla certainly makes me want to send my money there...as well as the fact that they are forum advertisers.

I'm a little put out that they don't offer dimension drawings of their throttles on the website, and it is a little difficult to discern what comes with and what doesn't. The site really doesn't do them a lot of favors in my mind, but from what I could tell the throttles have a typical D shaped shaft, so fitting another TPS shouldn't be hard at all.

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/18/17 1:28 p.m.

In reply to Mezzanine:

TWM used to have dimensioned drawings, I suspect Borla set those aside when they took over the site/company.

Worth a call to see if maybe they can send you drawings, etc.

My TWM 45mm DCOE throttle bodies stick a little at idle when cold. I could get the car to idle at 900rpm quite happily once warmed up. When cold, you had to raise the idle manually until warm or it would stick and the throttle would be a bit stiff just off idle and more often than not, it would stall. Mildly annoying and if I could get the Bosch idle bypass solution to work, I might have not had the issue. For a "race" car, it isn't the worst thing to deal with.

The 40mm units I picked up from another vendor (I suspect Jenvey, but there aren't any markings and I can't find them online) are better sized for the engine, dual patterned for DCOE/DCNF with two sets of injector holes (which I'm not using) but they don't stick closed at idle after snapping the throttle closed.

corsepervita
corsepervita HalfDork
8/20/17 7:17 p.m.

not related specifically to the lambo, but tomorrow is the eclipse, my friend came to visit from washington and had a spare solar filter. So i'll be snagging pics. already went out and tested today and can easily and clearly see the sunspots.

So tomorrow should be fun.

RossD
RossD MegaDork
8/23/17 8:25 a.m.

Any updates on the sun spots or the Lambo?

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA SuperDork
8/23/17 9:31 a.m.
corsepervita wrote:

This is what happens when your paint booth isn't clean enough. Sand it off and start again.

corsepervita
corsepervita HalfDork
8/23/17 2:47 p.m.
RossD wrote: Any updates on the sun spots or the Lambo?

I'm about 75% done with sorting through all 14 gigs of photos. Haven't worked on the lambo. Having a rough week. Me and the gf broke things off since she's moving. Just kind of "bleh" right now. Knew it would eventually happen and we knew it'd be temporary when we got together. But she was probably the raddest gal i've dated. Well communicated, kind, understanding, trust and respect, independent, eccentric as hell and just a fascinating person. So it makes me sad. But... we both knew it wouldn't last forever. All good things must come to an end.

Time to go back to making the lambo my love.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
8/25/17 2:05 p.m.

Sucks to hear it bud. That is never easy. Sounds like you at least had a heads up. DOnt let it get you down, the best thing to do is keep your mind off it in my opinion. At least you have some other things to focus on!!!

Also, a 4CF original Lamborghini Haiku

Girlfriends and Lambos...
Both need cash, then break your heart
One is worth the pain

Gunchsta
Gunchsta Reader
8/25/17 2:33 p.m.

Sorry to hear about you and the Gal, keep up the good work on the Lambo. Definitely healthy to have a project to keep you occupied and striving towards a goal. Keeps the mind active and positive.

corsepervita
corsepervita HalfDork
8/25/17 5:29 p.m.

Well, i finished my eclipse photo, here's the small version. Here's the link itself, if you click it and zoom in you can actually see the sun spots as well. http://i.imgur.com/LmXPTMo.jpg

mck1117
mck1117 GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/25/17 5:38 p.m.

That's fantastic.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/25/17 6:17 p.m.

Very cool.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
8/28/17 3:30 p.m.

That photo is really cool! Nice work.

In other news, I spotted a red Jalpa in West Chester Ohio this weekend (a suburb north of Cincinnati). There is house on Reading Rd (Oh Rt 42), which houses a pretty incredible car collection. Its that house, the one that all the car guys around here know. On any given day, you could possibly see all kinds of things parked out front. An AC Cobra kit, Ferrari, Classic Mustang, Viper, multiple generations of 'Vette...the list goes on and on. 1100²ft house, 4400²ft garage. He is living my dream!

Parked out front as I drove by was a gorgeous red Jalpa. At first I couldnt place it. My mind immediately went to Ferrari, but I knew after a moment that wasnt right. Then, the lines started to say Countach, but it wasnt futuristic enough. It wasnt until I got square behind it that I recognized the tail-lights.

Obviously this isnt the one, but this is the view that I got as I drove by. Its hard to appreciate the Italian design till you see it in person. I nearly stopped to take a look, but didnt know if that would be creepy.

mblommel
mblommel GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/29/17 12:32 p.m.

Those wheels.

pheller
pheller PowerDork
8/29/17 6:04 p.m.

Hey Derek!

We're friends on Facebook, and I didn't know you had started a build thread on GRM.

Fun fact, we both were active on TeamZX2 circa 2005. Then you got your Porsche and left us all behind.

corsepervita
corsepervita HalfDork
8/29/17 6:26 p.m.
pheller wrote: Hey Derek! We're friends on Facebook, and I didn't know you had started a build thread on GRM. Fun fact, we both were active on TeamZX2 circa 2005. Then you got your Porsche and left us all behind.

Yep, I remember you well Paul :)

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/30/17 8:32 a.m.

I wonder if I will be the first post on page 50?

pinchvalve

Nope, apparently not.

pinchvalve

But then again, maybe.

pinchvalve

Nope.