1 ... 56 57 58 59 60 ... 70
corsepervita
corsepervita HalfDork
11/4/17 10:02 p.m.

Pics courtesy of my friend Jaydra (Short Lyfe Photography), she has an eye for car shots.  She did great.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/4/17 10:06 p.m.

You both did great!

docwyte
docwyte SuperDork
11/5/17 7:43 a.m.

That's crazy, you completely rebuilt a lamborghini....in your garage!

corsepervita
corsepervita HalfDork
11/5/17 2:24 p.m.

Alright, maybe I'm overthinking this.  But I'm finding it a bit odd on how in the hell to adjust this linkage on the steering.

To the left, the tie rod end.  The threaded bit doesn't move.  It's just solid, part of the tie rod.  The other side in black would be the steering shaft itself that goes to the box.  In the middle is a union.  The middle nut is welded, for adjusting, and 1 movable nut on each end.

Both nuts are totally loose... and I can use a wrench to spin the union... BUT... it continues to turn evenly down both the shaft AND the tie rod end.  It's obviously there for adjustment but wtf?  I'm so confused.  I should have to move SOMETHING in order to adjust it, one end has to end up coming loose in order to do that, so how in the world.  

I'm going to see if there's a way I can get inside the box itself and I'm wondering if at the far end of the box I can disconnect and then freely spin it or something, which would make a lot more sense.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/5/17 2:28 p.m.

In reply to corsepervita :

Both the tie rod and steering rod are standard thread, one isn't reversed? Can you turn the steering rod to thread it in/out of the coupler?

corsepervita
corsepervita HalfDork
11/5/17 2:33 p.m.

Ok, went back out and looked.  No easy way to get into the box BUT I did notice something.  The threads on the coupler on the box side are a very fine thread.  The threads on the actual tie rod end are super coarse.  So in theory... moving the coupler/union IN should actually move my toe in, adjusting it closer should give me toe out.  Because for each "spin" of this union, more thread moves OUT on the tie rod side, and less on the box side.  Moving it OUT would give me toe out since i'm using more turns to move it in.

Going to test that idea out and do some measuring.

corsepervita
corsepervita HalfDork
11/5/17 2:33 p.m.
Pete Gossett said:

In reply to corsepervita :

Both the tie rod and steering rod are standard thread, one isn't reversed? Can you turn the steering rod to thread it in/out of the coupler?

You know, I didn't even think of that, let me look.

corsepervita
corsepervita HalfDork
11/5/17 2:37 p.m.

OK yep it's reverse threaded, makes so much more sense now.

corsepervita
corsepervita HalfDork
11/5/17 2:37 p.m.

I was making it a lot harder than it was

corsepervita
corsepervita HalfDork
11/5/17 2:50 p.m.

Ok done.  Back down off the jacks, everything buttoned up and torqued down.  Looks like i've got just a HAIR over 1/8" toe in, very close to where it should be.  Much much better.  Can't drive right now because rain and open ITBs is a bad idea.  That was a lot easier than I thought though.

Toe out before

Toe in now on both sides.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/5/17 3:11 p.m.

I think this is my favorite build of the year. Congrats on getting it back on the road. 

corsepervita
corsepervita HalfDork
11/5/17 3:19 p.m.
Stampie said:

I think this is my favorite build of the year. Congrats on getting it back on the road. 

I'm glad you're enjoying it stampie.  It may be running and driving but there's still sooooo much I want to do haha.

conesare2seconds
conesare2seconds Dork
11/5/17 6:30 p.m.

Hmm. Bas-relief bull on the rear valence. Nice touch, Lamborghini. 

corsepervita
corsepervita HalfDork
11/5/17 6:57 p.m.
conesare2seconds said:

Part of me wants to repaint it and the rest of me wants to leave it for a little patina.

Bill Mesker
Bill Mesker New Reader
11/5/17 8:11 p.m.

Christ this car is beautiful... You my friend did a berkin amazing job on this. You have my deepest respect....

corsepervita
corsepervita HalfDork
11/5/17 11:48 p.m.
Bill Mesker said:

Christ this car is beautiful... You my friend did a berkin amazing job on this. You have my deepest respect....

thank you! i can't wait till i've got my GPS speedo project done and all the little stuff is 100% in the car.  It's going to be such a weird feeling.  But now I can drive it around, enjoy it, and tune it properly.

bentwrench
bentwrench Dork
11/6/17 8:27 a.m.

That paint looks fine in the pics, I don't know about patina, but that is a very nice survivor.

Original paint is always a plus for me.

What is the next project? Or are you a one and done guy?

onemanarmy
onemanarmy New Reader
11/6/17 8:33 a.m.
corsepervita said:
conesare2seconds said:

Part of me wants to repaint it and the rest of me wants to leave it for a little patina.

1 vote here for patina.

corsepervita
corsepervita HalfDork
11/6/17 11:24 a.m.
bentwrench said:

That paint looks fine in the pics, I don't know about patina, but that is a very nice survivor.

Original paint is always a plus for me.

What is the next project? Or are you a one and done guy?

I'd like to finish tuning my little '77 924.  It's an ITB/Megasquirt conversion as well.  It's been vandalized 3 times at my old apartment (wasn't a good neighborhood), and hit by a drunk twice, so I lost motivation.  But now that the Lambo is on home stretch, that'll be my next focus.  I also have a 931 that I want to trick out and boost up.  

But I also want a Ducati 999 Xerox.

corsepervita
corsepervita HalfDork
11/6/17 11:44 a.m.

Are motorcycle projects allowed on here?

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/6/17 12:20 p.m.
corsepervita said:

Are motorcycle projects allowed on here?

There's a motorcycle section here, so yes:

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/sprockets/

corsepervita
corsepervita HalfDork
11/6/17 12:21 p.m.

Well I have always wanted to build a cafe bike.

So many decisions.  So much time.  

GCrites80s
GCrites80s New Reader
11/6/17 8:21 p.m.

My vote cosmetically is to touch it up as much as you can but not mess with the bubbles since there's not much you can do about them anyway without repainting. At least the car is non-metallic. 

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro PowerDork
11/6/17 8:31 p.m.

Very cool man, been following this since the start. Glad to see it all come together.

Feels pretty great doesn't it?

corsepervita
corsepervita HalfDork
11/7/17 12:42 p.m.
Trans_Maro said:

Very cool man, been following this since the start. Glad to see it all come together.

Feels pretty great doesn't it?

It feels great but it's so weird.

I feel like it's one of those months where crazy amazing stuff has happened.  But it feels too good to be true, but you wake up and realize... it isn't... it's there, it's... a thing.  It's hard to explain.  As I said before it's different when I first sat in it.

The day I got it, I parked it and a friend of mine whom I've looked up to on LamboPower told me to tell him the day it was gonna come in.  And he called me up when we got it all parked and situated and congratulated me on getting it.  Asked me how it felt to finally own a lamborghini that i've always wanted.  But it didn't quite feel as real.  I think mostly because seeing it so far off from done felt like a "forever."

Then one day I'm sitting in it, running, driving, mirrors on, ready to hit the road and it felt unreal because it was like, "Wait, really? It's... it's mine?"

It's a fantastic feeling, and one that is still registering with me.

1 ... 56 57 58 59 60 ... 70

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
feRKhLuY3zuhIrN1Ao0flTjW7LW7KvFg5IuvHLbcbSJZeEh5yIJuSlxODK2jw4Le