1 ... 59 60 61 62 63 ... 70
corsepervita
corsepervita HalfDork
12/28/17 12:13 p.m.
1carnut said:

Fantastic work with your Jalpa.   Great job.  You are a source of inspiration for my own Jalpa project.  Great work and great documentation.

Oh, another Jalpa?  Nice!  What's the status on yours?

1carnut
1carnut New Reader
12/31/17 8:10 a.m.

Currently installing a high lift kit for the garage door so that I can install a hoist to enable some easier wrenching / restoration underneath the Jalpa.  

corsepervita
corsepervita HalfDork
1/2/18 11:21 a.m.
Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/2/18 12:09 p.m.

Epic.

and because I like obscure connections:

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/w9y4mr2/

Enjoy!

corsepervita
corsepervita HalfDork
1/2/18 12:13 p.m.
Stefan said:

Epic.

and because I like obscure connections:

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/w9y4mr2/

Enjoy!

That's super dope!

corsepervita
corsepervita HalfDork
1/2/18 5:41 p.m.

I've been told it'll be in the print tomorrow.  So i'll have to snag a shot and grab several issues.

Erich
Erich UltraDork
1/2/18 6:03 p.m.

Wow that's a great interview and the photos are perfect. So awesome you and the car are getting that recognition. Something to show the grandkids someday maybe. 

The0retical
The0retical SuperDork
1/3/18 8:47 a.m.

I agree that was a cool article. Great to see you got some recognition, outside of here and the Lamborghini forums, for the huge amount of effort you put in.

corsepervita
corsepervita HalfDork
1/3/18 12:16 p.m.

I picked up about 10 copies of the Wall Street Journal today.  Feels weird seeing it in print lol.  Page A10 if anyone finds a copy.

conesare2seconds
conesare2seconds Dork
1/3/18 6:22 p.m.

Enjoyed the story and the pics. Bonus content: the correct pronunciation of “Jalpa”.

corsepervita
corsepervita HalfDork
1/3/18 9:13 p.m.

I wanted to take a pic like this all day.  But I want to raise a glass of scotch to everyone who has been so incredibly motivating and supportive of my restomod.  I truthfully waited 32 years for a moment like this, because it's something I've wanted to do since I was a little kid.  

But with dealing with clinical depression and anxiety I had my days where I wanted to give up, or felt overwhelmed, or just didn't even want to get out of bed.  The kind words, this community, along with LamboPower were an enormous drive for me.  

This truly is a very special community and I have you to thank for the random bits of advice, motivation, the kind words.  You're all stellar humans here at GRM.

So here's a glass of scotch and a cigar, to a now restored status car, but still a car that I'm far from done with.

midniteson
midniteson Reader
1/3/18 9:43 p.m.

Congrats! definitley worth a smoke and a drink. Cheers

corsepervita
corsepervita HalfDork
1/16/18 10:16 p.m.

Been a while since i updated.  Good news, the GPS is fully calibrated for the speedo.  Currently trying to find a way to tie it into the logger and get the stepper to properly read out on the speedo.  Operation "update this thing to the 21st century" is on the way!  The local paper caught wind of the wallstreet journal article and came by to do an article on it.  I'll have to snag a pic, really cool that my home town wanted to do something on it.

I'm currently dealing with clutch issues.  It would appear that in my infinite wisdom of being in a hurry, I forgot to put locking nuts on the guide tube and it has backed off 4mm and now the clutch will not disengage fully, so it won't go into gear when the car is running.  Frustrating as hell. 

My options are: Attempt to remove slave cylinder and rod and try to get the nuts on it and align it (pain in the ass) or drop the motor again and pull the transmission and do it out.  Work has been insane so I haven't had time.  Gonna try sunday... have a date for the first time in a while on saturday (she seems to be able to put up with my nerdy obsession with cars).  

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
1/16/18 10:29 p.m.

In reply to corsepervita :

Even if she hates you, she went on a date with a dude who's got a lambo. That's status E36 M3 right there. 

corsepervita
corsepervita HalfDork
1/16/18 10:54 p.m.
Mndsm said:

Even if she hates you, she went on a date with a dude who's got a lambo. That's status E36 M3 right there. 

even though i can't take her on a date in it at the moment lol.  but you know, it's not a huge issue, i'll get it sorted out, it's all good.

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/17/18 2:56 p.m.

I have been following your thread for at least a year. Finally came back after a few months off to see where this is at and it's finished! Man, the sound from it is excellent! Great work! Many congrats. Love the interior with the white piping!

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Dork
1/17/18 6:20 p.m.

WSJ, you're big time now!

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
1/17/18 7:50 p.m.

This showed up on youtube, and at first I thought it was you....

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/20/18 9:53 a.m.

I missed the WSJ link in early January. What a cool story and article. Congrats on the milestone.

I also love that your WSJ photos have a GRM sticker on the back glass.

MazdaFace
MazdaFace Reader
1/20/18 12:06 p.m.

Congrats man! I'm over here shooting for comments to show up in an issue of GRM & you're in the wall street journal. 

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
1/20/18 12:21 p.m.

Awesome. So great ot see the car running and driving again. 

corsepervita
corsepervita HalfDork
1/30/18 5:18 p.m.

Well, I got the clutch issue resolved.  The nut for the adjustment screw on the transmission side didn't just back off, it went bye bye completely, so the pivot point for the release fork was wayyyy off.  It's now adjusted and happy again.  I took it for another drive.  

It's now spitting residual oil onto the exhaust from what I suspect might be the actual oil drain tubes.  I took it out for a lunch spin and got a cigar to celebrate, but until I figure out what that particular issue is, I'm hesitant to take it far since lots of oil may mean fire.  Still, very very strange.

The coolant hose is tightened back down, no more leaks.  Little by little it's getting closer and closer to being a perfect driver.

Sparkydog
Sparkydog Reader
1/30/18 8:27 p.m.

If I remember you are in the Bend area, no?

I was in the Cigar Chapel this summer. Seemed like a great shop. Where do you shop for them?

corsepervita
corsepervita HalfDork
1/30/18 10:18 p.m.
Sparkydog said:

If I remember you are in the Bend area, no?

I was in the Cigar Chapel this summer. Seemed like a great shop. Where do you shop for them?

Man I wish you had said something, I would have got a cigar with you.  I go there virtually every friday to relax after work.  It's sort of my weekly ritual.  Though I admittedly either get them locally from a local store when i'm in the mood for a quick smoke.  I keep a wineador to collect them and generally shop on cigarbid.com to keep my humidor stocked.

I'm in Redmond but basically 15 minutes from bend.  Next time you're in the area hit me up and we'll grab a cigar and take the lamborghini for a scoot!

corsepervita
corsepervita HalfDork
2/8/18 1:19 a.m.

Well guys I got tired of trying to find stuff that would "kinda fit" due to the holes in my center console and what not.  I bought a 3d printer... figured i'd share my adventures so far.

Night 1: Nothing works. I can get it to load filament, things are groovy there. But literally nothing sticks. After using a bunch of online calibration methods I came to the conclusion that my nozzle needs to be much closer than "a piece of paper" due to the ridiculously thin layers mine puts down. (100 microns)

Night 2: It's printing, but stuff looks like trash. I keep messing with it, and it slowly gets better.

Night 3: A friend who does this stuff for a living calls me and walks me through the various steps over the phone. I video call him, we figure out it needs to be even CLOSER. I print some super E36 M3ty models and they look like garbage.

Night 4: Finally stuff is printing halfway decent. Needs more calibration. But it's CLOSER.

Night 5: I've now spent 8 hours printing objects. I look up the specific material I'm using online, set new temperatures for the heat bed and filament. I finally after loading my console piece in from my software get it started and WHOA. It looks good! Layer 1 at last is good. 9 hours remaining. Not perfect, but it'll be good enough to look good and use.

Today: Wake up part is nearly finished and looking much better, only tiny calibrations to go from here.

Came home, and holy crap it was finished! Threw some hide on it, cleaned off the excess material, trimmed it to fit the switches. I ended up hunting some down from a random dude in Austria of all places, I could literally not find ANY more of them, said screw it, bought them because factory, and threw them in here.

Need to test switches and run wires first, but man, finally!

Figured I'd share some pics of the progress from the failed prints, terrible prints, horrific prints, and finally the decent one.

The worst part about calibrating it is that the only way to really properly find out is making tiny adjustments and doing an entire first layer, throwing it away and repeating.

Here's my failed prints next to the decently finished one (still not perfect)

Here's the good one before the final print, but the power went off during a power surge, entire print failed.

Another layer of a failed print.

Finally, the decent one. Not cleaned up, but fits where I want it.

The switches fit!

Time for hide

After trimming, glue, hide, and fitting.  Not putting it in till i run wires, but sweet!

Keep in mind this isn't the stock location for the switches.  They're further up, but... the previous owner moved the window switches there and put a gauge pod where the original switches were for head temps.  I'll be replacing those with O2 banks.

1 ... 59 60 61 62 63 ... 70

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dDTbOdoDOmvhvhx2Mh8Q0mr1SxezwM8zOGCRLufcwQfqPW40ie6BT5WWlbtmn0YD