1 ... 63 64 65 66 67 ... 70
Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/1/20 4:00 p.m.
SkinnyG said:

Ooooooohhh that's brilliant!

That's giving me ideas!

He'll post the info on github when he's made a bit more progress.

Brotus7
Brotus7 HalfDork
1/1/20 5:12 p.m.

Do you have any more info on the gauge setup? I'm very intrigued.

rico750sxi_2
rico750sxi_2 New Reader
1/1/20 9:47 p.m.

Just read this entire thread, what an incredible journey. You did an incredible job and showed great perseverance, the cigars and scotch were well earned and deserved. 
Also, the car is just awesome!!

Recon1342
Recon1342 HalfDork
1/1/20 9:51 p.m.

In reply to rico750sxi_2 :

Stick around a bit. You'll be amazed at the quality of work that goes on around here. 

Mike924
Mike924 Reader
1/2/20 7:48 a.m.

That gauge setup is really slick.  I would l be interested in knowing how it is setup and if I could do a similar config in my 924 or 944.  

Keep up the great work. Corsa.

smokeysevin
smokeysevin New Reader
1/2/20 9:19 a.m.

I am doing a similar thing with the gauge on my truck right now. One thing to be aware of, is that you should run a shutdown switch on the pi to keep the sd card from getting corrupted.

(https://mausberry-circuits.myshopify.com/collections/frontpage/products/4amp-car-supply-switch)

This takes a key on and always on circuit and tells the pi to shut down when you turn the ignition switch off, then kills power to the circuit once the pi is shutdown.

I am using a microsquirt as my sensor interface and relay controller for my aux fans which uses an old style db9 port for communications so I installed a rs232 hat (https://www.pishop.us/product/serial-hat-rs232/ )

The serial hat took a bit of fiddling to get working but its been stable since. Tunerstudio runs native in linux so the setup is pretty straightforward to get running. Basically you configure tunerstudio to load directly in gauge mode and setup the pi to load tunerstudio on boot.

The round display is really cool, I had not even thought to look for that. I am using the standard pi foundation 7" display with mine. Where did you source it?

Great work as always,

Sean

ebelements
ebelements Reader
1/2/20 9:56 a.m.

New guage looks kickass, but one question—had you reached out to Seattle Speedometer? Guy does killer work—seen his stuff on a few bikes but I know he works with everything. 

corsepervita
corsepervita HalfDork
1/4/20 3:11 p.m.
Brotus7 said:

Do you have any more info on the gauge setup? I'm very intrigued.

Sure, what would you like to know?

corsepervita
corsepervita HalfDork
1/4/20 3:12 p.m.
rico750sxi_2 said:

Just read this entire thread, what an incredible journey. You did an incredible job and showed great perseverance, the cigars and scotch were well earned and deserved. 
Also, the car is just awesome!!

thank you for the kind comment!  I'm just a huge nerd who loves cars and /sometimes/ has too much time on his hands.

corsepervita
corsepervita HalfDork
1/4/20 3:13 p.m.
Mike924 said:

That gauge setup is really slick.  I would l be interested in knowing how it is setup and if I could do a similar config in my 924 or 944.  

Keep up the great work. Corsa.

I'll be throwing the entire thing up on github here once I've got it all completely figured out.  I'm actually responding from my raspberry pi at the moment, so no pics till i'm back on my regular computer.  But what I can tell you is that I spent hours today working on various hdmi configurations to get the TFT display working properly with the pi.  It now works, thanks to finding some similar TFT displays from adafruit, and toying with them a bit.  It now displays beautifully on my lcd.  Working on getting tunerstudio setup now.

corsepervita
corsepervita HalfDork
1/4/20 3:29 p.m.
smokeysevin said:

I am doing a similar thing with the gauge on my truck right now. One thing to be aware of, is that you should run a shutdown switch on the pi to keep the sd card from getting corrupted.

(https://mausberry-circuits.myshopify.com/collections/frontpage/products/4amp-car-supply-switch)

This takes a key on and always on circuit and tells the pi to shut down when you turn the ignition switch off, then kills power to the circuit once the pi is shutdown.

I am using a microsquirt as my sensor interface and relay controller for my aux fans which uses an old style db9 port for communications so I installed a rs232 hat (https://www.pishop.us/product/serial-hat-rs232/ )

The serial hat took a bit of fiddling to get working but its been stable since. Tunerstudio runs native in linux so the setup is pretty straightforward to get running. Basically you configure tunerstudio to load directly in gauge mode and setup the pi to load tunerstudio on boot.

The round display is really cool, I had not even thought to look for that. I am using the standard pi foundation 7" display with mine. Where did you source it?

Great work as always,

Sean

This is an interesting one because basically, I joined a megasquirt/tunerstudio dashboard group and some guy came in touting off about how he figured out how to do round displays.  Then of course, when everyone asked him  how to do it, he told people he would only pm them for a finders fee.

So of course, the spiteful bastard in me was like, "well this is an opensource group, so firstly, f*** this guy.  ok you wanna be that way, I'll go figure it out myself, and when I'm done, I'm going to post the entire project as opensource on github because f*** you."

So here's where I got mine (and to clarify, this is the company as well, and they were very polite, helpful, and i got my stuff in 5 business days):

Shenzhen Duobond Display Technology Co., Ltd.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/HDMI-driver-board-3-4-inch_62223501742.html?spm=a2756.order-detail-ta-bn-b.0.0.18d32fc2gq6O1b

I know some may be opposed to ordering direct from china, but here's the thing... if you go anywhere else from a local company who sells them, they are displays made in china, and twice the price, and the driver boards are also twice the price.  So for the cost of 1 LCD "sold here" and 1 board "sold here", you can get two.  Twice the markup is asinine to me.  I read that the dude who originally posted it paid something wild like $160 for his stuff (that's the board and driver), and a 5" lcd is only like $10 more if you wanna go big.  So I was like "ok or... i can just go straight to the source and pay half that because... lol no."

I paid $30 per LCD and $30 per driver board.  You WILL need an hdmi driver board, at least I have not yet found a way to drive them any other way thus far.  Supposedly there are hats for the pi to run MIPI drivers, but the issue with them is that the ribbon length and pinout for a lot of these TFT displays is a weird little 39 pin ribbon, and it's tiny, and doesn't fit that hat.  I also do not know if the pinout for the 39 pin vs 40 or 50 pin ribbons are the same.  One could /possibly/ play with the inexpensive hat (which is like $15-20 on adafruit), and perhaps solder something up.  But I figured for the extra $10, it was a lot faster for me to just get a known, working, proper driver board, and save myself a little headache and time.

So there you go, inexpensive tft display, inexpensive hdmi driver board, and poof, 3.4" lcd that should fit /most/ gauge sizes.  Mind you, if you search on alibaba you can find display sizes ranging in round lcds from 1.4" to 5", so really, just mic out the size you want (always go slightly under, you need room to tuck the ribbon and make a mount), and then factor in the resolution.

Like i said, once i get a good config that I'm like "yeah this works 100%" i'll toss it up on github because I'm spiteful and I refuse to pay someone a finders fee for something I found myself and isn't secret sauce.  I hate people that act like they're doing something that's worth a load of money when it's something that could be shared with the open source community.

The only oddity so far that I've found are the hdmi settings.  Adafruit has a good page on this here:

https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-5-800x480-tft-hdmi-monitor-touchscreen-backpack/raspberry-pi-config

I'll throw my final config up on my github project once I upload it.  What I can say is that the easiest way to attain the proper resolution for your tft display is to simply hook the driver board you buy up to the tft display, power it up with usb, plug it into /your desktop/ computer, and windows or mac should auto config it, and you can then go into your settings and see the default display settings.

Mimick those to your pi resolution and refresh rate with the above adafruit display config for your pi and it /should/ work.

Side note and idea:  If you wanna do /smaller/ displays, like smaller gauges, regular size gauges and not stuff like crazy speedos or tachs, on alibaba look up "watch display" and there are numerous small 1.2-2.5" displays which are much smaller, also TFT, made for watches, that would work great for making smaller gauges.  I haven't tested them out, but they're the same 39 pin setup.  There are also some hdmi splitter boards for "multiple monitor displays" - which I haven't tried, which look like they could be a good way to do a multi-monitor pi display for someone who wants to make a "row" of them, so to speak.  Though your limitation may be power on the pi at that point, as hdmi does seem to consume a good draw.

corsepervita
corsepervita HalfDork
1/4/20 3:31 p.m.
ebelements said:

New guage looks kickass, but one question—had you reached out to Seattle Speedometer? Guy does killer work—seen his stuff on a few bikes but I know he works with everything. 

i've reached out to a ton of places, and everyone i've spoken to has said, "We will touch the english jaeger gauges, but we don't touch the italian stuff", that and at this point, this is way more fun.  I'll just put the original crap in a box and save it, and maybe someday I'll be like "eh, sure, i'll go analog." but for now, this is fun, gives me something to do, and makes better use of my ECU.

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/4/20 7:19 p.m.

Fascinating stuff.

Over my head, but I love hearing people who know their E36 M3 talk. Maybe some will rub off.

corsepervita
corsepervita HalfDork
1/4/20 9:36 p.m.

Well guys I just fired it up on the pi for the first time after my config and BOOM, it works.  I need to go plug it into the lambo and make sure it syncs up and finds it fine, but it fired right up into tunerstudio and went right into the dash like I wanted it to.  Going to drum up a README and plop the config files up, along with links to all the stuff needed and toss this sucker up on github.

corsepervita
corsepervita HalfDork
1/4/20 9:46 p.m.
corsepervita
corsepervita HalfDork
1/4/20 11:07 p.m.

Alright, here ya go y'all

https://github.com/TheJalpa/RasbpianMSDash

smokeysevin
smokeysevin New Reader
1/7/20 10:07 a.m.

In reply to corsepervita :

Yeah, that happens. I am a big proponent of open source stuff (which is why I shared my early setup as well). The nice thing about the power supply I linked is that it supports multiple usb connections.If you use a display hat you can feed the 5v supply from any source so you aren't forcing the pi to provide the electricity from the mainboard. The multiplex idea is interesting, I wonder how tunerstudio would handle it.

Sean

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
1/7/20 11:53 a.m.

Wow... it's been awhile since I've checked this thread.  My loss. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/7/20 12:38 p.m.

I'm really digging the printed gaskets. That's a great thing for old car owners.

JoeTR6
JoeTR6 Dork
1/7/20 1:44 p.m.

Impressive.  I have a spare Raspberry Pi laying around to play with and may experiment with this.  Thanks for sharing.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
1/7/20 2:06 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

I'm really digging the printed gaskets. That's a great thing for old car owners.

That's what I was thinking.  Has anyone done 3D extrusion?  Where the table is a sort of conveyor and could slowly roll a gasket off as the printer does its thing?  That could be a real game changer for old window gaskets that have long been NLA.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/7/20 2:19 p.m.

Oh, now that is a cool idea. How do you go around corners? Trying to make one that's a continuous loop might not be possible, but if you can always just glue the ends together.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
1/7/20 2:38 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

I'm no expert, but...if gluing ends is acceptable, print a long run, turn the corner and print tot he width of the platen? Glue to smaller straight pieces? You'd end up with 4 or 5 joints, but you could theoretically design some sort of interlock at the joint that could add strength when glued. And if it's really NLA, it's better than not having gaskets.

Print [

print =

print ]

glue into a square?

CJ
CJ GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/7/20 2:43 p.m.

I have only played with Raspberry Pi a little, but it appears that there is the option to "suspend to disk". Wondering if that might shorten the boot process?

corsepervita
corsepervita HalfDork
1/8/20 3:09 a.m.
smokeysevin said:

Yeah, that happens. I am a big proponent of open source stuff (which is why I shared my early setup as well). The nice thing about the power supply I linked is that it supports multiple usb connections.If you use a display hat you can feed the 5v supply from any source so you aren't forcing the pi to provide the electricity from the mainboard. The multiplex idea is interesting, I wonder how tunerstudio would handle it.

Sean

I think one thing people don't consider about opensource is that if you are part of an open source project, and you have people contributing, you're basically working with people and building something, and people are working for it for free.  It's like free labor, but with the intention of making something better that people have a vested interest in.  I mean, first off, how hard is it for people to find someone to work with them who has a vested interest and is looking for a job because they WANT it and LOVE doing something, instead of just a paycheck?  There's no money involved in open source contribution, so if people do it, it's because they love it, so generally the quality of work will be better.

I think some people hate seeing things move to open source because the assumption is, "Ok well but if that happens, then what about all my stuff I wanted to keep from people?"  Well, it doesn't matter, because people are going to make everything better, and likelihood is that the license for open source is going to allow people to use it for any purpose (even commercial), so in the end, you're going to end up with something you can probably bank off of anyway if one is worried about it.  

It's one thing we discussed at work.  
For example... one of the guys I work with managed an open source project for automation/terraform for software ci/cd pipelines with python.  He maintains almost the entire thing himself but a few people have started contributing.  We also use his repo for our business, because, well, it's efficient as hell.  We /make/ nothing off of it, but it speeds up our velocity for our engineers, so in the end, it makes us more money.  But because people are contributing to his project, not only do they use it better, but we can use it better.  They bring up bugs, concerns, issues, he addresses, he fixes them, they work on it together and the end result is a badass repo.  Then everyone gets to use it, and we are more efficient for it.

I really wish people in some of the megasquirt community realized there's more benefit to opening up their ideas than trying to cradle them.  There will /always/ be a market for people who want to go to a business, go, "I am too lazy to do this myself, just do it for me." and pay for it.  Or people who maybe don't want to spend the effort and just go, "Do it for me."  However, opening up something interesting could lead to a /better/ product down the road when the community gets ahold of it and makes something better.  Then if you're an expert in it and you have a business building rad stuff like dashboards and custom tunes, you've got better tech at your fingertips people want to pay for to "just make it work."  The rest of us get better tech to do it ourselves (because we prefer to do it ourselves), and everyone is happy.

But oh well, can't convince everyone i guess.

1 ... 63 64 65 66 67 ... 70

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6mYagaWaraeWknacbzoWdoS1yPw26pKRoUYzLsF9YySqt2my4L1E4vKvtDINuybn