1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 ... 70
Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/3/17 9:15 p.m.

This thread is wonderful. The craftsmanship is impressive.

My favorite part is that you were able to get Valentino Balboni to sign a new plate for you.

corsepervita
corsepervita Reader
1/13/17 12:34 p.m.

Well guys, sorry for no updates for a while. Had pneumonia, a lot of personal E36 M3 going on, dealing with a depression cycle to boot. I'm bouncing back full force and feel great. So it's time to update.

• Fuel system is damn near finished. I'm taking next week off to finish wiring up the rest.
  • Engine skid for dyno is finished, minus debur and paint. Pic below.
  • Newish/used starter works like a dream.
  • A lot of the assembly is complete on motor, hopefully will be done asap. Not rushing my machinist though, he's had a lot of E36 M3 he's had to deal with, and I totally know that feeling. So I'm being patient.
  • I've sourced a new alternator which will reuse the old pulley, brand spanking new.
  • Still working on my wiring diagram for my car as I go along, so the actual harness is taking a little longer than usual but I like to have things well mapped out.

The0retical
The0retical Dork
1/13/17 2:18 p.m.

I love it when your thread floats to the top.

Good to hear the starter thing got worked out.

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA SuperDork
1/13/17 2:22 p.m.

The motor is so cool.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/13/17 3:00 p.m.

In reply to corsepervita:

I'd be tempted to leave on the dyno stand for a little while - in your living room, of course, with a glass top over it like a table - then invite your friends over for a little get-together and casually fire it up in the midst of conversation.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
1/13/17 3:04 p.m.

That's such a cool motor.
Take your time and finish it at a pace that lets you live a good life.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
1/13/17 3:16 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote: Take your time and finish it at a pace that lets you live a good life.

This ↑

I think this is a really solid pace - reasonable, but hitting small milestones one at a time. Makes it manageable, but you still feel the progress being made. Really happy to see it moving forward!

corsepervita
corsepervita Reader
1/13/17 10:08 p.m.

Thanks for the support everyone. It's made mountains of progress from where I started. I am so excited to get this engine up and going.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UltraDork
1/14/17 11:23 a.m.

I can't speak for everyone here in Oregon... but I do want a ride in this once you are done..........

corsepervita
corsepervita Reader
1/14/17 6:20 p.m.
oldeskewltoy wrote: I can't speak for everyone here in Oregon... but I do want a ride in this once you are done..........

Fine by me!

corsepervita
corsepervita Reader
1/21/17 4:33 a.m.

Fuel system is coming along.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
1/21/17 8:22 a.m.

Very pretty, but it looks like the spacing on one of the ends is going to disagree if you use that fitting arrangement.

corsepervita
corsepervita Reader
1/22/17 12:45 a.m.
MrJoshua wrote: Very pretty, but it looks like the spacing on one of the ends is going to disagree if you use that fitting arrangement.

Are you talking about the accumulator, or the Y connection? The Y connection has one side slightly longer than the other since they don't sit completely side by side, one sits offset just a hair.

If you mean at the end, they're a bit on the short side, so my plan was actually to move it down just a little bit (not mounted at the actual rail, down just a ways) and mount it elsewhere. Then the spacing shouldn't be too big of a problem.

(edit), wow I must be tired. Accumulator = Regulator. I've got CIS on my brain.

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/22/17 1:11 a.m.
oldeskewltoy wrote: I can't speak for everyone here in Oregon... but I do want a ride in this once you are done..........

Line forms behind me :)

Seriously though, I can't wait to see and hear it run, let alone go for a ride/drive.

You've done excellent work my friend!

corsepervita
corsepervita Reader
1/22/17 2:24 a.m.
Stefan wrote:
Line forms behind me :) Seriously though, I can't wait to see and hear it run, let alone go for a ride/drive. You've done excellent work my friend!

Thanks! I did some more wiring yesterday. Tomorrow I should be able to get the relay box going since that's my next big hurdle, as well as a few fuseboxes. Once that's all in place, the next thing is sensors, then ignition, and I can finally do a benchtest with the megasquirt.

My sister's boyfriend owns German Autoverks here in Bend, and he is probably one of the most genius megasquirt gurus I have ever met. You'll have to meet him. He wants to be there for dyno day to help me sort out any bug or tune issues. Needless to say, I am excited AND relieved to have someone like him willing to help me out. Once the megasquirt is up and tested, I'm going to lay down a base map, send it to him and he's going to review it and help me a bit on tweaking it.

I think considering how big these injectors are, with me alternating the injectors for a better idle, that 2 squirts per cycle is going to be ideal instead of 4. They'll be running low on the duty cycle to begin with.

He built a 90s Audi Coupe Turbo that's running faster times than my Ducati. We went to the races before the season went to crap and I was beating him with an 8.01 on the 1/8th. He burned up his clutch and had throttle linkage issues. He was pulling 8.25. He went back 2 weeks later, cranked it up to 33lbs of boost and was burning 7.6 second runs.

He still wants to race me, and I still have some tweaks to do to my bike this season.

He built the engine, did all of his own machining, built his fuel system and the entire car all on his own. He's one of those guys that doesn't brag about what he does, but his work speaks for itself and he's all self taught.

corsepervita
corsepervita Reader
1/22/17 2:25 a.m.

My other hurdle at the moment is sourcing the pickup coil for my distributor.... rumor has it that it's porsche 928 parts. I need to pull it and check. I contacted the owner of Jalpa.ch as he has a diagram of the distributor and some factory part numbers. He says it's been used in Porsches, but I've been searching the part numbers for days here and there with absolutely NO results.

• 1 234 211 001 Wicklungselement (pickup coil)
  • 1 237 011 037 Teilesatz Impulsgeberrad (magnet)

There's a distributor listed on ebay but it looks far far worse than mine. I haven't actually TESTED it yet, so I may not need to buy the parts, but I'd like to go into it with a fresh distributor.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo MegaDork
1/22/17 3:20 a.m.

Is AIRTEX/WELLS 1A4051 your "magnet"(reluctor wheel)? Fits 83-84 928. I don't think those really go bad unless you bend it.

1 234 211 010 is the pickup for the same Porsche, AIRTEX/WELLS 4P1184

84FSP
84FSP Dork
1/22/17 10:27 a.m.

Love this forum. Obscure Lambo / Porsche part number cross check. One hr later - done.

Dogote
Dogote New Reader
1/22/17 11:58 a.m.

Derrick,

Awesome to find you on this forum! The Jalpa looks like it's coming along pretty well.

David

corsepervita
corsepervita Reader
1/22/17 10:57 p.m.
Dogote wrote: Derrick, Awesome to find you on this forum! The Jalpa looks like it's coming along pretty well. David

David B? Small world man! I miss the BEM crew.

corsepervita
corsepervita Reader
1/22/17 10:58 p.m.
BrokenYugo wrote: Is AIRTEX/WELLS 1A4051 your "magnet"(reluctor wheel)? Fits 83-84 928. I don't think those really go bad unless you bend it. 1 234 211 010 is the pickup for the same Porsche, AIRTEX/WELLS 4P1184

You. Are. My. HERO.

corsepervita
corsepervita Reader
1/23/17 1:31 a.m.

Also, the reluctor is fine, I'm talking about the actual magnetic ring inside of the distributor for the hall sensor. I think I gave the wrong part number for that.

1237031012 zuendimpulsgeber

Realistically that's probably fine but I want to go after the pickup coil anyway.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo MegaDork
1/23/17 4:30 a.m.

All I ask for is a ride if I find myself in that corner of the country.

I can't find E36 M3 on 1 237 031 012, what I can find is on misc. central/east Europe interchange guide sites and they claim it only fits 70s Maserati and Lamborghini stuff. You might dig more into the 928 and find it, if 2/3 parts of that subsystem match up the third might too.

Also, aren't you going megasquirt? Why stay with a distributor that has a 1970s technology inductive pickup in it?

corsepervita
corsepervita Reader
1/23/17 10:38 a.m.
BrokenYugo wrote: All I ask for is a ride if I find myself in that corner of the country. I can't find E36 M3 on 1 237 031 012, what I can find is on misc. central/east Europe interchange guide sites and they claim it only fits 70s Maserati and Lamborghini stuff. You might dig more into the 928 and find it, if 2/3 parts of that subsystem match up the third might too. Also, aren't you going megasquirt? Why stay with a distributor that has a 1970s technology inductive pickup in it?

Stock ignition is only for dyno day and engine break in. Once I get a fuel map setup on the engine, I'm moving over to coil on plug.

corsepervita
corsepervita Reader
1/23/17 1:14 p.m.

Injector banks all wired up. Weather proof connectors used for harness. 1500F resistant sheathing on all wiring. End linkage needs sandblasted. Looks horrible.

1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 ... 70

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vlDmEVgNY46hEiKTueSFG17w3PQJhxtTs1h1tLRiOxAjOxK2n4rW0dz1jDPawrh0