1 ... 51 52 53 54 55 ... 70
corsepervita
corsepervita HalfDork
10/16/17 11:28 a.m.

Passenger side done.

Driver side nearly done.  Seat is in.  Celebrated by sitting in it and having a glass of scotch and a cigar in it for the first time in 4 years.  Sore, beat, very tired and incredibly satisfied.

GPz11
GPz11 Reader
10/16/17 11:30 a.m.

Nicely done!

corsepervita
corsepervita HalfDork
10/16/17 2:30 p.m.

Tonight I'm going to finish the carpet in the interior and will setup a live stream of the interior, and we can do some Q&A if y'all want.  Let's plan for say... 7 PST?  Anyone interested?

Wxdude10
Wxdude10 Reader
10/16/17 2:51 p.m.

After you explanation that the Porsche window motor was faster than the Lambo one, I half expected that window to shoot up as fast as the turbolift doors open on the USS Enterprise.  Imagine my sadness when it wasn't that dramatic...

Anyway.  Nice job on the upgrade and this has been a really cool build to follow!

-Mike

corsepervita
corsepervita HalfDork
10/16/17 2:55 p.m.

In reply to Wxdude10 :

I wish i could show you the video my friend tagged me on facebook.  He posted his driver side window and was like, "Hang on let's see if we have enough time in this video." and after about 15 seconds, the window got halfway up and he was like, "Ok that's good enough.  You win."

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/16/17 4:11 p.m.

In reply to corsepervita :

Damn, and I thought the ribbon mechanisms on the 85 Vette were slow. They only take about 6-seconds or so.

corsepervita
corsepervita HalfDork
10/16/17 4:45 p.m.
Pete Gossett said:

Damn, and I thought the ribbon mechanisms on the 85 Vette were slow. They only take about 6-seconds or so.

Yeah, basically the old motors are like if a hamster in a wheel turned it inside the door, and most the time it doesn't wanna spin the wheel, i'd say that's about right.

corsepervita
corsepervita HalfDork
10/16/17 9:34 p.m.

ok since I promised it, here we go.    Q&A live for GRM

https://www.facebook.com/derek.mccallister/videos/10154777098571744/

corsepervita
corsepervita HalfDork
10/18/17 12:03 a.m.

For contrast, here's the interior 4 years ago.

And now.

CJ
CJ GRM+ Memberand New Reader
10/18/17 12:31 a.m.

That is absolutely outstanding!  How much of the interior did you have?  Read through your entire build and can't believe the attention to detail and th quality of your work. 

corsepervita
corsepervita HalfDork
10/18/17 1:14 a.m.

In reply to CJ :

The interior in regards to the dash, the seats, all the leather, it's all there.  Just the floor pan and so much of everything was a mess, a lot of it was rusty, needed to be brought to bare metal.  So i stripped it down, sealed it and started new.  The original leather bits are happily treated, supple, and happy again.  Thank you for the kind compliment.

The0retical
The0retical SuperDork
10/18/17 4:45 p.m.

What's the lever next to the parking brake for? (please say line lock)

corsepervita
corsepervita HalfDork
10/18/17 4:46 p.m.
The0retical said:

What's the lever next to the parking brake for?

For the choke/warmup on carbs.

The0retical
The0retical SuperDork
10/18/17 4:51 p.m.

Oh yea carbs have that. I'm so used to seeing a pull knob on a dash that it didn't even occur to me that it was carbonated at one point.

You did a really fantastic job on the interior.

corsepervita
corsepervita HalfDork
10/18/17 5:10 p.m.
The0retical said:

Oh yea carbs have that. I'm so used to seeing a pull knob on a dash that it didn't even occur to me that it was carbonated at one point.

You did a really fantastic job on the interior.

Thank you very much!

corsepervita
corsepervita HalfDork
10/18/17 5:27 p.m.

Well guys, no luck finding myself a powder coating shop that isn't 2-3 weeks out.  Snow will likely hit by then.  I'm so close to done i could probably get this done and on the road asap.

So i'm going to just clean them up the best i can, rebuild the calipers with new hardware, and get this puppy on the road.  When the snow hits and things are terrible and I can't drive it, i'll yank them off, gut them out again, and get them powdercoated.  But I'm going to feel super silly if i delay driving this thing till spring simply because I wanted to paint my calipers white.

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/18/17 5:37 p.m.

*cough*HarborFreight Powder coating kit and a toaster oven*cough*

Or you know, just paint them white with some white caliper paint and cure the paint in the toaster oven.

barefootskater
barefootskater New Reader
10/18/17 5:46 p.m.
corsepervita said:

But I'm going to feel super silly if i delay driving this thing till spring simply because I wanted to paint my calipers white.

I'm usually the guy that is so eager to drive that I've been guilty of driving without 3/4 of the calipers even working. Paint? berkeley paint.

This thing needs to be driven and you sir have earned it.

corsepervita
corsepervita HalfDork
10/18/17 5:55 p.m.

In reply to barefootskater :

I have an odd addiction to making little details look good and it'll drive me nuts, but yeah, i need to drive it or i'm gonna go nuts.

einy
einy HalfDork
10/18/17 6:44 p.m.

I have had VERY good luck with caliper paint in the past, even without oven curing.  

docwyte
docwyte SuperDork
10/19/17 8:05 a.m.

Man, you're gonna be spending a lot of time cleaning those calipers if you paint them white!

lnlogauge
lnlogauge Reader
10/19/17 11:47 a.m.
corsepervita said:

In reply to barefootskater :

I have an odd addiction to making little details look good and it'll drive me nuts, but yeah, i need to drive it or i'm gonna go nuts.

I follow a guy who's rebuilding a 94 jetta. His attention to detail is fascinating. Last update, he was sanding off all the casting marks off of his Calipers.  It's fascinating, and fun to watch. But the sad part is, I'm going to be dead before that car is ever finished. He's been working on the brake calipers off and on for months now. Please, get yours running soon. 

corsepervita
corsepervita HalfDork
10/19/17 12:52 p.m.

In reply to lnlogauge :

Damn, those look really freaking good!  Seems overkill to me, but it does look fantastic.  I got the last few seals for them so tonight I can get them rebuilt and once the pads arrive, on the car.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
10/19/17 1:29 p.m.
lnlogauge said:

I follow a guy who's rebuilding a 94 jetta. His attention to detail is fascinating.

Holy crap, now I have one more site I need to follow.  smiley  He does some pretty cool work.  He also has a serious Snap-On fetish.

corsepervita
corsepervita HalfDork
10/22/17 1:21 a.m.

Ok guys... pedal box is rebuilt and halfway into the car.  Need someone to come help me put it in tomorrow so hopefully will come by to help.  Pads will be here monday.  Got the calipers completely rebuilt.  Hydraulics are in.  Need to just put the lines in and get those puppies in place, make any adapters necessary to get it to fit right.  After that it's just making sure it all works as intended, adjusting anything necessary including the e-brake.  Buttoning up the rest of the interior and column wiring and it's time to drive.

Just about there.

1 ... 51 52 53 54 55 ... 70

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JmITElmUtgy2K5dwLnxUaYqYw8ToMkM9eSeWZgkljTkHhFtflJYo0tPseEIc00Tf