In reply to corsepervita :

Thats a thing of beauty! 

corsepervita
corsepervita HalfDork
12/11/17 11:47 p.m.
java230 said:

Thats a thing of beauty! 

The carpet isn't in right now so it's hard to appreciate it in its entirety but i'll show y'all the finished result before the shoot sunday.

corsepervita
corsepervita HalfDork
12/16/17 1:55 p.m.

Almost ready for tomorrow

corsepervita
corsepervita HalfDork
12/16/17 11:31 p.m.

Alright.  So, i'm ready for tomorrow.  Car needs a quick vacuum.  Everything is ready to go.  Man oh man did I have a scare.  I decide to make sure I'm all good for a drive tomorrow.  Well, I forgot to burp the system.  I drive downtown, things are great.  Go for a small cruise.  I go hit some twisties and the overflow barfs.  I'm going, "Well E36 M3."

I turn to a side road to go home.  I go around the corner and suddenly I can't make any power over 2500rpm.  Car starts fine.  Revs to 2500 and no further, like a brick wall.

I get into the driveway, get about 3 steps out of the car and "BOOM", white smoke all over, obviously coolant.  All over the berkeleying hood, all over the inside.  My immediate thought is, "uhhhhh what the berkeley?"

I put the garage door up, baby it in, coolant is everywhere.

I check the oil, no coolant.  Check the coolant, no oil.  No white smoke out the exhaust.  Not a blown head gasket.  "Ok what the hell where did this coolant come from?"  But I'm assuming the worst.  "No no no not the day before the photoshoot.  E36 M3 E36 M3 E36 M3."

I plug in the laptop and my TPS is -375.  I move the throttle, no change.  Makes no sense.  I go check the ground in case the coolant coated it and it's making a bad ground.  It's fine.  

I open the engine lid with white steam all over the place still and what do I see?  The connector I had for the TPS had come loose and the TPS voltage in was flopping around.  On top of that, the primary hose to the water pump let go.  It didn't split, it just let go.  It's one of those hoses where it has an insert with a larger diameter and somehow it had manage to squeeze itself out.

3 gallons of coolant later, everything is back together.  System is re-bled, and I put a new harness plug on the tps to make sure that never happens again.

This is why we call them test drives.

Anyway...

Recon1342
Recon1342 Reader
12/17/17 2:08 a.m.

Dude, you about gave me a heart attack!

after all that work...

Soooo glad it was something simple...

corsepervita
corsepervita HalfDork
12/17/17 1:08 p.m.
Recon1342 said:

Dude, you about gave me a heart attack!

after all that work...

Soooo glad it was something simple...

It's all re-bled and tightened way the hell down.  If it goes anywhere again... I'll be amazed.

corsepervita
corsepervita HalfDork
12/17/17 9:00 p.m.

I had SO MUCH FUN.  The photoshoot was a blast and we had a super good time.  My friend brought the Murci for moral support.  Lots of photos, lots of angles.  The journalist will be here just before new year's eve, so it's going to be great.

Figured I'd share some of the adventure.

Currently celebrating with a behike 56 i've sat on since i got the car and a bottle of Lamborghini Campoleone.

conesare2seconds
conesare2seconds Dork
12/17/17 10:36 p.m.

Jazzed for you. Way to go. 

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
12/18/17 6:56 a.m.

That's straight up awesome. I've got to admit, there were times when you were in the depths of getting the heads repaired that I thought "this car is going to become permanent garage art". 

java230
java230 SuperDork
12/18/17 10:33 a.m.

Its great to see it getting recognized for the huge project it is! Cant wait to see the pro shots!

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/18/17 10:50 a.m.

That is terrifying about the radiator hose. I had the same thing happen in my old Challenge car a few miles after I rebuilt the engine, on a date with my then-fiance, in the middle of main street. Boom, white smoke, oh berkeley. Just a hose clamp that needed more tightness. 

Dammit
Dammit New Reader
12/18/17 11:57 a.m.

That car looks like what the 10 year old me thought he'd be flying when he was the age I am now.

Great work.

corsepervita
corsepervita HalfDork
12/18/17 12:49 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

That's straight up awesome. I've got to admit, there were times when you were in the depths of getting the heads repaired that I thought "this car is going to become permanent garage art". 

I certainly don't think you're the only one who thought that, and I certainly don't blame you.  I appreciate all the good vibes.  This has been quite the adventure.

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Dork
12/18/17 2:26 p.m.

Way to go dude.  I need to swing by and see what it looks like with an interior in it!

corsepervita
corsepervita HalfDork
12/18/17 2:46 p.m.
Petrolburner said:

Way to go dude.  I need to swing by and see what it looks like with an interior in it!

You mean swing by and go for a drive? :P

Gunchsta
Gunchsta Reader
12/18/17 3:12 p.m.

Little behind the party on this one but I still feel the need to issue a legitimate congratulations. 

Excellent work, and like others I thought this may end up mothballed forever, super impressed that it didn't. 

You're the man! 

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Dork
12/18/17 6:09 p.m.
corsepervita said:
Petrolburner said:

You mean swing by and go for a drive? :P

yes

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado UltimaDork
12/18/17 7:06 p.m.

I knew you'd do it. Still recall after the rebuild when you posted of the pics of how bad the block/heads actually were when you started on the whole thing. Yeah, I wouldn't have posted those up until afterwards, either. Rock on, dude!

GCrites80s
GCrites80s Reader
12/18/17 7:47 p.m.

Does the blue Lambo belong to a friend?

corsepervita
corsepervita HalfDork
12/18/17 8:03 p.m.
GCrites80s said:

Does the blue Lambo belong to a friend?

Yeah, my friend brought it to the photoshoot for moral support.

corsepervita
corsepervita HalfDork
12/24/17 2:22 p.m.

Just got done with the interview portion.  The article will be online for the Wall Street Journal on january 2nd, and in the paper Wednesday, the 3rd.

Recon1342
Recon1342 Reader
12/24/17 3:57 p.m.

Will you post a link?

corsepervita
corsepervita HalfDork
12/24/17 5:19 p.m.
Recon1342 said:

Will you post a link?

Will be happy to!

Recon1342
Recon1342 Reader
12/24/17 5:37 p.m.

Thanks! This has been an amazing build, I’m interested to see how they tell the story.

1carnut
1carnut New Reader
12/27/17 9:37 p.m.

Fantastic work with your Jalpa.   Great job.  You are a source of inspiration for my own Jalpa project.  Great work and great documentation.

1 ... 58 59 60 61 62 ... 70

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DU0Fo62OfHw1CNAbkPOLWNBGGg4wSJruPqoSlhdA7aBU9x3qrPsPfQXp8B6q9l6y