NGTD
NGTD SuperDork
3/12/15 2:05 p.m.

Just signed the papers today. Blown Motor - Plan Rally-X and maybe Rally Sprints.

Build will be slow - only as "play" money and labour allows.

I am planning on trying to re-build myself. It will be my first motor re-build. PO blew the timing belt. Move to my garage happens tonight.

NGTD
NGTD SuperDork
3/13/15 6:28 p.m.

Yea - timing belt. May be on the search for a used EJ205.

chiodos
chiodos Reader
3/13/15 7:19 p.m.

Thats what new car motors look like? Damn my 93 mazda is pristine then! Lol

I kid I kid sounds like a fun project, whats the price difference on say a sti motor or forester xt? Me thinks you throw a 2.5 and sti trans and thats a hell of a car for cheap. Congrats on the new purchase

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
3/13/15 7:31 p.m.

you need a catchier title to draw everyone in

NGTD
NGTD SuperDork
3/13/15 7:57 p.m.

In reply to chiodos:

STi engines and transmissions still go for big coin. I have seen them advertised for $4-$4.5K. I had an 02 WRX and it with a Cobb AP was plenty. JDM 2.0L engines can be bought for $750 up here.

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose Dork
3/13/15 8:04 p.m.

In reply to NGTD:

Truth.
I bought a JDM 2.0 (TT!) with a five speed behind it for 1300 shipped.
NM that the seller turned out to be a total douche, that's neither here nor there.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/13/15 8:16 p.m.

Where did that thing lose it's timing belt, somewhere in the mid-Atlantic?

NGTD
NGTD SuperDork
3/13/15 9:59 p.m.

In reply to Woody:

Welcome to Northern Ontario! Actually car was plated in Quebec. Owner lived about 45 min from where I live just across the Ontario/Quebec border.

Car has been sitting about 1 1/2 years. I finally talked him down to a reasonable price.

NGTD
NGTD SuperDork
3/21/15 2:04 p.m.

Well, nothing much new. I was away most of the week. When I landed in Toronto last night, I get a text from my wife saying the DD Golf overheated.

Had to get the boys help me push the Subaru out of the garage so the Golf can go in. Le sigh . . .

ssswitch
ssswitch Reader
3/21/15 10:40 p.m.

I love the wheels on the WRX.

I kind of figured Ontario as soon as I saw the engine bay; engine bay fasteners and pulleys are one of the ways people here in Alberta figure out if a used car has spent sustained time 'out East.' Who needs Carfax [Carproof?]

The rusted cam pulley is the one that's covered by the inspection door on the timing cover, wonder if they were tooling around with it exposed? Not like it really matters now...

Judging from the air filter situation alone I'm willing to guess your car has been messed with by some previous idiot and will need a little bit of TLC to bring it back from its best impression of a DSM.

JDM EJ207s are the preferred swap locally for replacing a blown EJ205 with a working, motivating motor. Adding AVCS/AVLS is only a few more wires (I think like four) and then your other worry is keeping the ever so slightly longer engine's power steering pulley from bisecting the upper rad hose. Hold onto the EJ205 coil packs and sell them on to right-hand-drive kids to use when their packs start to die.

Either way, get some of the Turn in Concepts cam bolts (which are sold in both non-AVCS and yes-AVCS versions, watch out!) because you are not going to be happy trying to remove the stock allen head bolts on either engine.

Best of luck fixing the Golf so you can get back to what really matters in life.

NGTD
NGTD SuperDork
3/21/15 11:47 p.m.

Unfortunately I don't get to keep the wheels. The PO wanted too much for the car with those wheels, so he is keeping them.

Found that the water pump on the Golf E36 M3 the bed. I have it mostly torn down - now just have to get the parts.

NGTD
NGTD UltraDork
4/12/15 8:00 a.m.

Well not much of an update (I said this would be slow.), but I got my wife's Cabriolet moved out of its winter hibernation spot and moved the WRX into that area. Now I can get my buddies engine hoist and pull the motor.

Should I pull the transmission and engine together or separately?

NGTD
NGTD UltraDork
4/18/15 5:20 p.m.

. . . . . And so it begins.

Travis_K
Travis_K UberDork
4/19/15 12:54 a.m.

If its anything like a legacy, taking the engine out first would be the best I think. I am not even sure there is room for them to come out the top together.

NGTD
NGTD UltraDork
4/19/15 7:45 a.m.

Yea, I think you are right. I don't have to pull the transmission. I just have never mated an engine and a manual transmission before. I have dropped a few engines in with auto boxes, but never a 5 spd.

wae
wae HalfDork
4/19/15 8:23 a.m.
NGTD wrote: . . . . . And so it begins.

Shouldn't that be in kilos? Or tonnes?

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/19/15 8:32 a.m.
NGTD wrote: Yea, I think you are right. I don't have to pull the transmission. I just have never mated an engine and a manual transmission before. I have dropped a few engines in with auto boxes, but never a 5 spd.

The Subaru will have you spoiled when it is time to put it back together. It's a pull style clutch. This means that when it comes time to mate the engine and trans, instead of fighting getting the input shaft lined up in the clutch disk that is just a tiny bit off center from where you want it, you just have to get them close, put a prybar on the throwout fork and pry it back to click the two halves of the throwout bearing together, then pry it forward, which disengages the clutch (allowing the disk to find its own center) and sucks the engine to the trans in one seamless motion. It's freakin' magic.

Anyway, if it were mine, I'd just yank the heads, replace the exhaust valves, and slap it back together. Head gaskets and oil pan gaskets seem to leak oil after a while on EJ engines and pulling the engine is the easiest way to do either, so it almost becomes a service item to do while replacing the clutch and timing belt as maintenance. It's only a little bit more work to slap some new valves in there. Wouldn't be a bad idea anyway since it seems there are always 2-liter WRXen around here with burned exhaust valves for sale almost cheap.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BsudFFbF47Dl230ATlcjg7UQUXrndP55YrBW9aIWeveSQnDXcobayEKyK91ToxO3