1 2 3 4
xflowgolf
xflowgolf Reader
11/2/12 6:17 p.m.

awesome build! can't wait to move so I can get started on something similar.

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/3/12 5:28 p.m.

Claire enjoying the finished slab.

Ordered the last of the materials today. Will update when I get the spreadsheet up to date.

sachilles
sachilles SuperDork
11/5/12 11:06 a.m.

How thick? 8"?

nocones
11/5/12 11:49 a.m.

Yep.. Super overkill thickness.

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
11/5/12 12:06 p.m.

I don't see any PEX stub-ups...

cutter67
cutter67 Reader
11/5/12 12:11 p.m.

are they putting any "green cuts" in it to control the cracking

nocones
11/5/12 3:40 p.m.

Control cuts were placed today.

I couldn't justify the added cost of in floor heat. I would of had to give up something else and I did not want to.

Materials less shingles and trusses arrived today.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UberDork
11/5/12 5:11 p.m.

My house has some of that cedar siding. Love/hate relationship. (Hate painting).

No treated wood for the sills?

Oh yeah, envious...........

nocones
11/5/12 5:17 p.m.

Sills are treated (AC2 doesn't show well in pictures)

I'm also useing Copper flashing beneath it. They were just laying out the walls at that time.

EricM
EricM SuperDork
11/5/12 6:11 p.m.

Whoa!

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
11/5/12 7:30 p.m.

Looking great! My last shop was 26x26 (676 sq ft) and I filled it up fast. Do you have to build to hurricane specs? Mine had to withstand a 130 MPH windload. It was mostly Simpson ties on every damn thing along with some serious J bolts in the slab.

nocones
11/6/12 9:23 a.m.

Start of day 2. Very excited to see the progress today.

dculberson
dculberson SuperDork
11/6/12 9:41 a.m.

Nice progress. Makes me miss my old garage, nothing like a garage built either by your own hands or to your own specs.

nocones
11/6/12 11:16 a.m.

Woohoo wife sent me a picture.

cutter67
cutter67 Reader
11/6/12 11:19 a.m.

is it starting to look small to you, that always seems to happen when we all build things

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UberDork
11/6/12 11:54 a.m.
nocones wrote: Woohoo wife sent me a picture.

Wife approved giant garage.

Wife sending update pics.

Bring her roses tonight - you got a good one.

For the single guys; she got a sister?

nocones
11/6/12 1:58 p.m.

Framing day 2 ends early due to rain. It isn't to much rain but the trusses won't be on site until the17th so the amount of work that needs to get done before then allows for a more relaxed schedule. Contractor will be back on thursday to work towards being ready for the trusses.

I am very lucky. No sisters for her. Will probably buy roses as that's a good idea.

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Reader
11/7/12 9:01 p.m.

Looks good,whereabouts are you now?.I live in Ontario and it would be stupid to go without floor heat here,built my current shop 3 years ago and by far the best thing I ever did was floor heat.I like to keep the shop a low profile as well so I use cathredral trusses to allow the needed height for a lift without needing to go to an overall taller building.Shorter studs,less wall sheathing,less insulation,less heat loss,less siding,less money and a better looking building to boot. Current shop is way to small,its truly amazing how quickly you can fill them,next one will have a lot of thought put into the layout of equipement,work spaces and be friggin' huge.

Btw I've been a licensed carpenter for 20+ years,currently building a 2 story 4 bay garage addition to an existing cotttage for a customer to the tune of about 400k-it will be pretty swanky when finished.

Keep up the good work,make sure to finish the interior before putting crap in it though or it'll NEVER get finished.

fasted58
fasted58 UberDork
11/7/12 11:05 p.m.
nocones wrote: Yep.. Super overkill thickness.

8" floor? Installing a lift?

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury UltimaDork
11/8/12 7:35 a.m.

Its cool to see the progress!

I also must be a lucky man...the wife and I are talking about building our new place in a year or 3. I jokingly said it would be nice to have a full 3 car garage with a 700 sq/ft apt above it

...and she full-on agreed with me

its nice when you find a keeper

nocones
11/8/12 9:28 a.m.

I am planning a 2 post lift which required 6" however after the final site grading was complete I decided I wanted 2" of more elevation above grade for the slab and it was just cheaper/easier to add more concrete than re-prep.

I Am lucky to have found the one I did, however I couldn't imagine being in a relationship with someone who would honestly not support what I want (or me not support what she wants). If my wife decided she needs to do something that costs similar or more we would figure out how to make it work. I'm not in this to crush her hopes and dreams and neither is she.

I'm going to have a 14x20 6-8" room in the attic however it will be used primarily for "clean" garage activiites. In my area adding an apartment is a game changer for the type of building you have to build. Simply adding a bathroom would have complicated the build process. If actually used as an appartment like to rent it also limits your use of the garage due to Fumes/hours worked/Noise.

Pic looking the other way across the back of the yard just for fun. Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App

snayson1
snayson1 New Reader
11/8/12 11:44 a.m.

Nice. It's exciting knowing that you will have a nice big detached garage for you cars and projects. I have one too, looks like a house with the Cedar Shake siding and elegant outdoor lighting. Has it's own electric service and has plumbing. Three huge bays, has a 2nd floor i use, two 220V welding stations, line for 220V air compressor. no shortage of lighting inside. Lift going in on one bay.

nocones
11/8/12 4:29 p.m.

My wife sent me end of Day pictures. Lots of progress. Wall framing looks complete.

nocones
11/20/12 8:50 p.m.

And like Boom there was truss

Back yard view

In the main door towards the lift area

Towards the main door.

View from the street.

Tomorrow sheeting and then off for the holidays.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
11/20/12 9:43 p.m.

Sheeting? GIANT FARADAY CAGE AWESOMENESS!

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nvSdIyEnTte9DP56dOwW7nmBOcnN1hk9gyxiXw9PbsDkot48wKmXN8TSXMyb2vPj