1 2
johnp2
johnp2 New Reader
4/1/13 6:43 p.m.

Howdy Everyone,

Long time lurker with a little posting here and there. I recently snagged an E30 at a local car lot at a price I could not pass up. This will be E30 #2 for me, the last was a half finished project that I completed but was never really happy with the car. This one was listed as a miss fire when warm, which is actually just an idle problem (iacv perhaps). This will be a slower build as I am quite busy these days working a few jobs among other projects. I figured it may be a good idea to track my progress on GRM.

Specs of the ride:

1986 325e

203k miles

5 speed

Very clean. 0 rust on the underbody

Runs and drives(idle is wonky)

Shifts great

The plans for this one include the following:

Exterior: Nothing at all. The body is straight but the paint is rubbish. The only rust I can find is on the drivers door and I am not entirely concerned. I am going for that sleeper look.

Interior: The interior is in great shape, seats are nearly perfect and the sunroof actually works! I have a good bit of cleaning to do but I think it will turn out great. I plan on using this as a DD when the project is done so it will remain OEM and comfy.

Engine/Drivetrain: Planning for an I-head swap, holset turbo and MS to control everything. Looking to push around 275-300hp which from what i read should not be a problem with the M20.

Now to the Pics!

First order of business will be cleaning and fixing small issues in the interior.

Until next time!

Hntsvl_E30
Hntsvl_E30 New Reader
4/2/13 6:42 p.m.

Nice find. About the same mileage as mine. I think I'm still on the original clutch.

irish44j
irish44j UltraDork
4/2/13 7:03 p.m.

will be watching :)

mazdeuce
mazdeuce Dork
4/2/13 7:07 p.m.

I'll be watching this closely. I can't figure out how I'm not going to end up with an E30 eventually. I keep hoping they'll get too expensive and then I won't want one, but the keep being so damn affordable.

johnp2
johnp2 New Reader
4/2/13 8:06 p.m.

Hntsvl_E30: Awesome stuff! The clutch felt very strong during the test drive but I am sure it won't last long with double the power going through it.

irish44j: Thanks!

mazdeuce: It seems you have to find someone who is unaware of what they have. It seems rare to come across any model on e30tech or r3v that is cheaper than $1500.

I started cleaning up the trunk area including some minor rust prevention/removal. Everything looks pretty clean back there.

Updates soon.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Reader
4/2/13 11:11 p.m.

Those red door panels are awesome! Looking forward to updates!

ian @ Jewel Or Jalopy
ian @ Jewel Or Jalopy New Reader
4/2/13 11:22 p.m.

Nice! If I had to replace our Berlina today with a non-Alfa it would be a 4-door e30. Looking forward to more progress.

johnp2
johnp2 New Reader
4/5/13 7:07 p.m.

Trunk cleaning has commenced. Found my water leak issue is from the antenna grommet that is missing so one is on the way from pelican. Battery appears fairly new and no serious rust going on.

Unfortunately not much will be getting done this weekend as the MX-6 is in desperate need of a wheel bearing which will occupy my day off.

Hopefully next update is a bit more exciting.

Thanks

irish44j
irish44j UltraDork
4/5/13 10:51 p.m.

You going to take out all the trunk tar? My early 318 didn't have any, but the e30 guys I rallycross with all removed it from their later cars and apparently there's like 20-30lbs of the stuff just in the trunk. A lot of weigh savings if you get rid of it.

anyhow, check out my build thread here or on r3v if you get bored....I try to document a lot of "small" fixes and cheap mods and such, so maybe you'll get some ideas even though your goal with this car is quite different from what my goal was for mine (hey, I'm super-excited that I now have 150hp instead of 100! )

And since you have been around e30s before, I'd certainly be interested in any ideas/thoughts you have that I can use as well :)

johnp2
johnp2 New Reader
4/10/13 6:50 p.m.
irish44j wrote: You going to take out all the trunk tar? My early 318 didn't have any, but the e30 guys I rallycross with all removed it from their later cars and apparently there's like 20-30lbs of the stuff just in the trunk. A lot of weigh savings if you get rid of it. anyhow, check out my build thread here or on r3v if you get bored....I try to document a lot of "small" fixes and cheap mods and such, so maybe you'll get some ideas even though your goal with this car is quite different from what my goal was for mine (hey, I'm super-excited that I now have 150hp instead of 100! ) And since you have been around e30s before, I'd certainly be interested in any ideas/thoughts you have that I can use as well :)

I think the tar will stay for now. If I decide I need to lose a few lbs in the future I will rip it out. I had no idea it weighed so much, certainly something to consider thanks for the heads up.

You have an awesome build thread going with tons of information, I have been in and out of it the past few months checking on your progress. Sadly my first E30 experience only lasted around 8 months and it was a slightly painful 8 months. Hoping this one will go much smoother.

I will certainly keep an eye on your thread, thanks for posting in mine!

In other news the antenna grommet popped right in today only to find some rust at the base of the driver trunk well that requires some attention. Sounds like some glass work ahead of me to repair a small hole and keep the water out for good! That is the plan at least, the area has been sanded and is currently drying. I have a wide open day this Sunday that may involve some Beamer work. Pretty excited about that.

johnp2
johnp2 New Reader
4/15/13 8:48 p.m.

Quick update from the weekend. After glass and bondo work the trunk is leak free! All interior panels were cleaned and reinstalled. Things are looking rather tidy back there. Only issue in this area is the partition panel appears to be missing so I may try to track one down. The jack and lug wrench were also cleaned up and painted.

I removed the rear seat and will be cleaning her up one of these weeknights. The slow build continues!

johnp2
johnp2 New Reader
5/5/13 9:13 p.m.

Another quick update!

Other projects seem to be getting in the way of the beamer but we got a few things done this weekend. Made a trunk partition because I was unable to easily find one for sale. $10 at Lowes and I really like how it looks compared to bare metal.

I also got the two front seats out and began vacuuming the carpet and giving the interior a full detail. Got the drivers side done, passenger side to go. Tons of dog hair in this one that was not quite visible on purchase.

Thats about it for now. I figure another 2 weeks until the interior is together and tidied up. I have two non functioning windows to deal with and a few trim pieces to order. I also have to figure out why the radio is not functioning. Lots to do.

In other news with the help of my father we ran electric to the garage and that should be complete sometime in a couple weeks as well.

Tons of projects going on at the moment so hopefully I can start tearing this motor apart soon!

johnp2
johnp2 New Reader
5/28/13 5:53 p.m.

Quick update! Well the interior cleansing continues (lots of dog hair). Almost finished just one seat and a few tidbits remain. After this I need to solve a few problems with interior functionality.

1. Both passenger windows do not work (Switches are good)
  2. Radio does not function (needs code, have to remove radio)
  3. Interior lights do not come on with open door

On a side note I found a relatively cheap MS that is on its way. Also now have power and lights in the garage which will be pivotal for the project.

irish44j
irish44j UltraDork
5/28/13 8:02 p.m.

hmmm...so that's what a complete e30 interior and trunk look like. Interesting :)

looking good, keep it up.

Chuck_Norris
Chuck_Norris New Reader
5/28/13 8:22 p.m.

Wow that thing is cleeeean!!! keep up tha good werrrk!!

M3Loco
M3Loco Reader
5/28/13 10:15 p.m.

Congrats... Reminds me of the project I started in March 2011.

johnp2
johnp2 New Reader
5/29/13 11:49 a.m.

Thanks!

johnp2
johnp2 New Reader
6/10/13 12:48 a.m.

Interior is back in one piece finally! Front passenger window is now functioning after a motor rebuild. The rear passenger is still giving me trouble. It appears I am not getting power to that door for some reason. More investigating will be necessary.

I am also having some radio issues. I got the code from the dealership and went through the setting process. Afterword it worked great and I was jamming out for a few minutes. I turned the radio off and then it would not turn back on. I have been messing with it some and this is what is occurring.

Turn key, turn on radio. Code pops up (dimly lit) and then disappears. Nothing happens. I am wondering if I killed this radio.

Any thoughts from the E30 crew?

Thanks

johnp2
johnp2 New Reader
6/11/13 11:56 a.m.

Power is now getting to all doors. Just need to find 1 good used window motor for the passenger rear.

Radio is officially dead so I need to determine what to do. Options are:

1. Find a factory radio and install (around $100, slightly hard to find, could fail)
  2. Install aftermarket deck (around $80, easy and quick, ruins my 80s interior)
  3. Install radio delete plate($20, maybe put gauges on this plate but that could ruin the sleeper look, feels like I am taking the cheap route, can i deal with no radio in a DD?

Any thoughts guys? What would you do?

Thanks

fidelity101
fidelity101 Dork
6/11/13 1:33 p.m.

holy nuts that interior is clean. Just needs a quick cleaning and she's drivers worthy!

johnp2
johnp2 Reader
6/11/13 4:12 p.m.
fidelity101 wrote: holy nuts that interior is clean. Just needs a quick cleaning and she's drivers worthy!

Thanks! I would not call the cleaning "quick" haha.

Nitroracer
Nitroracer SuperDork
6/11/13 7:54 p.m.

Going the MS route again are ya? Tuning for NA gains or adding a turbo?

johnp2
johnp2 Reader
6/11/13 8:05 p.m.
Nitroracer wrote: Going the MS route again are ya? Tuning for NA gains or adding a turbo?

Indeed sir! Current plans include strapping on a holset and having a neat sleeper. I have toyed around with the idea of NA with a big cam but the turbo setup is currently 1st on the list.

06HHR
06HHR Reader
6/11/13 8:41 p.m.

Was going to suggest one of those "secret audio" setups the classic car guys advertise on the show with the mustache guy, but they are gawdawful expensive ($300 and up!). Any reason why you can't get an aftermarket unit with a remote and mount it in the glove compartment?

johnp2
johnp2 Reader
6/11/13 10:17 p.m.
06HHR wrote: Was going to suggest one of those "secret audio" setups the classic car guys advertise on the show with the mustache guy, but they are gawdawful expensive ($300 and up!). Any reason why you can't get an aftermarket unit with a remote and mount it in the glove compartment?

Certainly a possibility but I think that will end up taking more time and $. I think I will just end up getting a used factory unit. Hopefully I can find one for less than $75. I think the delete plate will just make it look like a cheap fix.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9PPAX9vi5TBwanTd45Y60XeOcteyVDqyaCYCtW15oeSX9DQg8hftVtXxPXtxZeXg