1 2
johnp2
johnp2 Reader
6/23/13 7:12 p.m.

Pulled the head this weekend. Everything is looking pretty good. I have 0 sign of a cylinder ridge and can still see the factory cross hatch. The oil was rather thick and it appears the PO had skipped several oil changes. Hopefully I can clean out most of the sludge when I pull the pan to tap it for an oil return.

Also got my I wiring harness in the mail and it is in great shape and got it for a steal. I am on the lookout for a decent I head. Not concerned if it needs a clean and resurface but it would be nice to have a drop in unit to avoid machine shop time.

Will update with pictures following engine bay de-greasing.

johnp2
johnp2 Reader
7/21/13 5:06 p.m.

In reply to johnp2:

Update! I have been getting things done slowly over the past few weeks. Interior is finally complete after a window motor replacement.

Also have the cylinder head off and engine bay cleaning has commenced.

Got this little guy in the mail as well!

Next goal is getting the oil pan off and tapped for a return line.

johnp2
johnp2 Reader
7/30/13 6:52 p.m.

Quick question for the GRM brains. I need to install an oil drain fitting in the pan. I am planning for -10AN. I considered a bulkhead, then TIG welding (farmed out to shop) or brazing. The pan is off the vehicle so any of these options are possible. My father has some very effective brazing material that I was considering using. In the past it has been very effective. Any reason not to braze it? Should I just bite the bullet and have the bung welded?

Thanks

johnp2
johnp2 Reader
8/29/13 6:11 p.m.

As of yesterday.

Hoping to install the head this weekend!

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/29/13 6:20 p.m.

Did you paint the block in the car?

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
8/29/13 6:45 p.m.

Honestly, Welding is going to be the strongest. Better overkill than a blowed up engine.

johnp2
johnp2 Reader
8/29/13 8:27 p.m.
Tom_Spangler wrote: Did you paint the block in the car?

I did. Do not have a cherry picker to remove so the block stayed. Little overspray on the firewall can be seen in the picture but not really noticeable. I will try to clean it up.

johnp2
johnp2 Reader
8/29/13 8:28 p.m.
mndsm wrote: Honestly, Welding is going to be the strongest. Better overkill than a blowed up engine.

Yes, ended up taking it in to get welded a few weeks ago and reinstalled last week. Better safe than sorry.

Thanks!

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/29/13 10:23 p.m.
johnp2 wrote:
Tom_Spangler wrote: Did you paint the block in the car?
I did. Do not have a cherry picker to remove so the block stayed. Little overspray on the firewall can be seen in the picture but not really noticeable. I will try to clean it up.

Looks great to me, and once everything else is in, you won't see the overspray.

johnp2
johnp2 Reader
9/6/13 11:33 p.m.

Thanks to some help from a buddy I managed to get the head installed last weekend. This week I threw on the timing belt, covers, adjusted the valves and installed the valve cover. I need to get some injectors and then I can install the fuel rail. Also got my Tial wastegate in the mail!

johnp2
johnp2 Reader
9/25/13 10:04 p.m.

Getting closer!

johnp2
johnp2 Reader
12/24/13 10:49 a.m.

It has been ages since updating this thread. I finished the car a few weeks ago and tagged it yesterday. A little tuning and this thing pulls....hard. I am used to driving relatively slow vehicles so this is a bit of a surprise.

Unfortunately the clutch is not a fan of the new power and is slipping during 3rd gear pulls. Second does not have much of an issue though.

I am planning to drive out of boost and see how DD worthy this car is for the next few weeks while I prepare my MX-6 for sale and get my new DD on the road.

This car is the epitome of sleeper. The only giveaway is the front mount through the grille. I am planning for some more "Sleeper Accessories" as well.

Pics!!

Thanks!

Pics!!!

johnp2
johnp2 Reader
1/1/14 2:48 p.m.

The clutch must have been glazed from sitting (If possible). Ever since the first few pulls it has been holding very well in 2nd and 3rd to redline. Very pleased with this car.

Sold my MX-6 so this will be taking over DD duties!

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade UltraDork
1/1/14 3:09 p.m.

I don't think you could find one like that here.

Nitroracer
Nitroracer SuperDork
1/1/14 8:46 p.m.

I took a ride in this car, and I must say a turbo sleeper sedan is a great thing. Now upgrade that tach so you can take it to the real red-line!

johnp2
johnp2 Reader
1/2/14 5:53 p.m.

In reply to Nitroracer:

Hah the 5K tach gives it character. At least that is what I am telling myself to avoid spending $100+ on one. I will get to it but brakes are first on the list. Picking them up next weekend. Then a few other maintenance items.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 New Reader
1/18/14 7:11 a.m.

Great build. How much know how did you have to get the oil line routed, piping location correct, etc.?

johnp2
johnp2 Reader
1/18/14 9:49 a.m.
Mr_Clutch42 wrote: Great build. How much know how did you have to get the oil line routed, piping location correct, etc.?

Thanks! The oil lines were quite simple. A -10AN fitting was welded to a high point on the passenger side of the oil pan and runs straight up to the turbo. The supply line pulls from the oil pressure sensor port which is also on the passenger side of the block. The line is a -4AN with a straight fitting on one end and a 90 on the turbo side.

For piping I basically just took measurements of my space and checked out several other build threads on r3vlimited.It works perfectly with the location of my intercooler behind the kidneys.

Let me know if you need more specific measurements and such. I would be more than happy to take detailed images as well.

Are you planning an E30 build?

VWguyBruce
VWguyBruce HalfDork
1/18/14 11:45 a.m.

Nice project. Hope mine looks similar under the hood one of these days.

I have a factory head unit and a couple CD changers if you're interested.

johnp2
johnp2 Reader
1/18/14 11:56 a.m.
VWguyBruce wrote: Nice project. Hope mine looks similar under the hood one of these days. I have a factory head unit and a couple CD changers if you're interested.

Thank you for the compliment and offer Bruce! As of now I have a gauge cluster occupying the space for the radio. If I end up changing things I will certainly be in touch.

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/18/14 12:37 p.m.

Nice! Would you share more details on the turbo setup and management? Did you delete the AC for that piping/IC setup?

VWguyBruce
VWguyBruce HalfDork
1/18/14 12:59 p.m.
bluej wrote: Nice! Would you share more details on the turbo setup and management? Did you delete the AC for that piping/IC setup?

Yes please.

johnp2
johnp2 Reader
1/18/14 2:05 p.m.
bluej wrote: Nice! Would you share more details on the turbo setup and management? Did you delete the AC for that piping/IC setup?

Absolutely. Details are below. Yes the AC is long gone in this one. Have yet to own a car with functioning AC until I recently picked up an older S4. I am more of a window guy anyways.

--2.7i M20 stroker (E bottom end, i head)(Unknown miles)

--CX Racing turbo manifold (Decent and cheap, although required some massaging)

--Holset H1C

--Tial 38mm wastegate (Dump tube under trans, sounds phen omenal)

--7.5 PSI boost (Until clutch goes, then 1 bar)

--Homemade 3" downpipe

--Cat deleted

--Factory resonator back exhaust (Mucho sleeper)

--TurboXS RFL BOV (got it cheap)

--Silicone intakes intercooler piping, boots, clamps

--CX Racing bar and plate cooler (measures 28X8X3, fits behind the kidneys perfectly)

--New timing belt and water pump

--Metric blue head bolts

--WhodWho Megasquirt (prebuilt units)

--Innovate LC-2 Wideband (Should have gone AEM)

Otherwise this car is stock. I cleaned up the interior, didnt touch or wash the exterior. I have $4200 into the build including vehicle purchase which isnt too bad.

Threw a nice roof rack on it yesterday so I am ready for biking season. One month of DD duty so far and she is doing just fine, could use some more tuning which I am slowly learning.

Thanks for all of the inquiries!

VWguyBruce
VWguyBruce HalfDork
1/19/14 11:26 a.m.

That's a pretty slick MS setup inside the factory ECU. Retails for $650 yikes

johnp2
johnp2 Reader
1/19/14 3:37 p.m.
VWguyBruce wrote: That's a pretty slick MS setup inside the factory ECU. Retails for $650 yikes

It is hard to beat a P&P standalone for that much. Although rare, they do show up used here and there. Picked mine up for 550 which wasn't bad.

Thanks

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
C1JkL62J2omkkPttRYTG13eAkCARBE8MD8trgPigL0tlhR8rE9ZxFVxkQZKcojKq