It does sound glorious!

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
5/28/19 1:51 p.m.

That video made me tingle. 

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
5/28/19 2:24 p.m.

Give this one a try.  Did I figure it out?

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/28/19 2:44 p.m.

In reply to Indy-Guy :

Soooooooo much better!

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
5/28/19 2:56 p.m.

I need a napkin. 

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
5/28/19 3:16 p.m.

Yes very good.

TJL
TJL Reader
5/28/19 3:17 p.m.

Thats gonna ruffle the ascots of some purists. Love it. 

mfennell
mfennell Reader
5/28/19 3:27 p.m.

Wait, that has a limited slip?  I thought they all had open diffs.  Mine certainly did.  Probably for the best as the temptation for sideways antics would have been pretty strong.

My driveway is very steep and it gets really slick in the fall with a coating of wet leaves.  My wife was taking the XJR out and was worried about it.  "Don't worry, just keep a steady pedal and it will work through the leaves" .    A few minutes later, I got a call, just about the time I smelled something funny in the house.  "Still can't get the car out".  I opened the door to wall of tire smoke so thick I could barely see the car 75 feet away.  

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
5/28/19 5:53 p.m.
mfennell said:

Wait, that has a limited slip?  I thought they all had open diffs.  Mine certainly did.  Probably for the best as the temptation for sideways antics would have been pretty strong.

My driveway is very steep and it gets really slick in the fall with a coating of wet leaves.  My wife was taking the XJR out and was worried about it.  "Don't worry, just keep a steady pedal and it will work through the leaves" .    A few minutes later, I got a call, just about the time I smelled something funny in the house.  "Still can't get the car out".  I opened the door to wall of tire smoke so thick I could barely see the car 75 feet away.  

As far as a limited slip?  The previous owner never mentioned it.  I can share with you, however, that it has made 11's (not just 1's) many, many times as seen in the video.

Concerning that incident with your wife:  It would appear the traction control was either switched off, or must not have been operational.  At least with mine, unless I manually turn it off, there's not a chance of wheel spin, even on a very wet road.

mfennell
mfennell Reader
6/6/19 2:52 p.m.

In reply to Indy-Guy :

My traction control/ABS never worked.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
6/12/19 5:48 p.m.

Teaser pic. Explanation later.

wawazat
wawazat HalfDork
6/12/19 7:28 p.m.

He won this racelaugh

gumby
gumby GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/12/19 7:50 p.m.

I have another

Oh, and a crappy video

My timing was impeccable for once. I arrived at the venue straight from work and just as I came around to the staging lanes I spotted the Jaaaaag making the turn. Chatted real quick and made beeline for a camera position away from the crowd.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/12/19 8:50 p.m.

Looked like 14s?? Cut-outs sound amazing!!!

wawazat
wawazat HalfDork
6/12/19 9:29 p.m.

I've got time from his first run.  Indy's choice on whether I tell ya'all!

Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled Reader
6/12/19 9:55 p.m.

For someone who has never drag raced you seen too have the burnout downwink

Bummed I couldn't make it to Indy today, all the more reason to get to the challenge this year laugh

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/12/19 10:56 p.m.

LSD would probably be something that the previous owner notified you about, since I've heard you have to swap back to an earlier xjr pumpkin so you can use Dana 44 stuff internally.

But, easy to check, lift the rear of the car and rotate one wheel. If the other spins the same way, lsd. If opposite, no lsd (unless torsen, which seems incredibly unlikely).

Awesome you got it out there and rocking!

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
6/13/19 7:46 p.m.

In reply to wawazat :

Really great meeting you and your Dad yesterday at Hot Rod Power Tour. You two are doing the adventure I hope to some day do with my own Dad.

Thanks for hanging out with the kiddos while I made that first pass down the strip.

In reply to gumby :

Great to bump into you last night, and Wow, you do have amazing timing!  Thanks for posting the video and pics.

Fladiver64
Fladiver64 Reader
6/17/19 4:44 a.m.

In reply to Indy-Guy :

I think you are having way too much fun with that jag, good to see it being run hard.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
6/23/19 7:56 a.m.

I realized I never gave  full report on drag racing.  It was my first time ever on the strip, so I was a bit nervous.  Wanting to do a good burnout, I put the car in second gear before entering the water box.  I get the signal from the staging guy, so I power brake it, rpms go up then fall off. No tire fire. WTF ?. Oh, forgot to disengage traction control. Fixed that and put on a good smoke show.

Pull up to the line, green light, let 'er rip !  Pulls hard, adrenaline rush, It's all a blurr. Cars hits the rev limiter before the traps. Berk!, I forgot to shift it to drive, still stuck in second from the burnout. Get thru the traps, miss the turn off and had to go all the way to the end near the sand for the final exit. Ran a 14.9 something.

Edit: later two more passes. Best of 14.3 something.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/23/19 8:38 a.m.

14.3 is right at the Q45s best. Should be a good match up unless we make it faster this year. 

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
6/23/19 8:45 a.m.

Self awareness is a funny thing.  I'm in my mid forties and just realize enough to put it into words that I'm a British car guy. (I tried and failed to fall in love with the German BMW Einhorn) My first car was a 1976 Triumph TR7 FHC. Later in my late twenties I bought a convertible 1980 TR7. Buick V6 swapped, every mechanical component upgraded.  Dad had a TR4 he bought new in '65, and I've now got these two Brits in the garage:

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
6/23/19 9:10 a.m.

While I had the car in the garage I did my first real wrenching on it yesterday. It wouldn't hold windshield washer fluid, the right front bumper cover was sagging and right front turn signal was inoperable.

I discovered why it wouldn't hold fluid (crash damage)

​​​​​​

Break out the general purpose two part adhesive:

I added some reinforcement wire for good measure and slathered it on. It ain't pretty, but should hold

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
6/23/19 9:34 a.m.

I replaced the turn signal bulb (even though it looked good) but it still didn't work, so I got to chase the problem through the harness:

After breaking out the multimeter, I discovered the problem was in one of the harness connectors that had allowed water infiltration and subsequent corrosion.  Cleaned that up and BAM! it works like a charm.

The truly observant amongst us will notice the broken and sagging bumper cover in the pic above. Yep, fixed that with zip-ties.

What's the budget hit for two zip-ties? I've had this multi-pack for about 12 years, no way I can find the receipt.

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/23/19 9:55 a.m.

A nickel?

honestly, i bought a 1000 pack at home depot for $20.  Do the math 

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 17

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
y9xerwSu0Bv2UqRZVAEqEeJvj7hmi9k41Z2WTfE8atxWTPQwohT6KMbIbNmJcqbq