cjwallgren
cjwallgren New Reader
9/3/15 3:41 p.m.

About 4 years ago, I picked up a beat up old 1990 325i coupe off of Craigslist for a few hundred bucks. I didn't really have time to work on it due to life, so I parked it out at my grandparent's farm and forgot about it. Now, thanks to irish44j, I think I'm gonna take another crack at getting her going as a rallycross project (much to the wife's dismay). Wish me luck!

cjwallgren
cjwallgren New Reader
9/3/15 4:57 p.m.

Here are some glamour shots from back when she was new to me.

As you can see, the valence was pretty jacked up.

I got a replacement plastic bumper from Tom Bradley at Bradley Motor Werke in St. Louis. Here she's parked next to my 1993 325is (I still have it too; that's gonna be a future project).

cjwallgren
cjwallgren New Reader
9/3/15 5:03 p.m.

Fast forward to this May (2015): I go out to my grandparent's farm where it was stored and discovered that someone had broken in and done quite a number on the property. They hadn't spared the E30 either. Hood and trunk were popped, battery and radiator were stolen. They also stole two of the wheels and the power steering pump. (Why? They have like no scrap value! The joy of Missouri meth heads...)

Oh well, when life hands you lemons...

cjwallgren
cjwallgren New Reader
9/3/15 5:17 p.m.

New PARTS!!!

With the power steering pump and radiator gone, I already had things for the shopping list. I got a steering pump from an 87 for cheap on eBay (may eventually do PS delete at some point, not sure), and a Mishimoto radiator.

I also needed to do something about that front valence, so I ordered a new one. I also got stock fog delete blanking panels. I'll bumper mount some Hellas or PIAAs most likely.

Fresh! I think I'm gonna coat it with bedliner, to add a bit of resilience. As my cousin Benji says, "It's a misconception that fast cars have to be pretty."

I also got a new valve cover gasket. Pretty standard stuff. Hopefully I can get out to the farm this weekend and get some work done!

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
9/3/15 6:39 p.m.

get it going :)

do you know where your closest rally-x region is?

cjwallgren
cjwallgren New Reader
9/4/15 6:53 p.m.

Not sure. Whatever is around St. Louis. I live about 1hr45min south of the city. There appear to be quite a few events around the area though. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Show-Me-Rally/288806911323458

cjwallgren
cjwallgren New Reader
9/5/15 9:56 p.m.

Got a box from Bavarian last night and GRM! Woot!

My bargain basement wheels with scrap tires. These are just to move the car around with for now.

New bumper with first coat of bedliner and the foglight blanks.

cjwallgren
cjwallgren New Reader
9/5/15 10:29 p.m.

Finally got out to the farm today! First thing I discovered was that the meth heads were kind enough to leave the trunk popped.

That let in all that sweet, sweet Missouri humidity! Hurray mold!

I put some chemical dehumidifiers in the car, hopefully that will help. Oh well, race cars don't need interiors, right?!?

The meth heads certainly worked hard for those wheels...

You can see where they cut the hoses... looks like I need to order a top radiator retaining bracket as well...

I mounted the wheels and used my E90 to tow it out via the hook. #racekar

Don't worry little buddy, good times are coming for you!

Hopefully I can go out again tomorrow and actually wash her off and fit the new radiator. Wish me luck!

cjwallgren
cjwallgren New Reader
9/8/15 5:33 p.m.

Wasn't able to make it out before dark. Not much to report. I did get two brake duct inlets for the valence from Tom Bradley in St. Louis. I plan on coating them with bedliner as well and fitting the new valence Wednesday.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NGfaGsRUWmY74rDXvjFSh9xkloC4IDk8ifOay3gxAdQ7m8YfBH7aEPm0cOHFcCiX