1 2
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/5/16 8:13 p.m.

Yeah, I admit, I'm stuck in the '80s.

The last skateboard I had in high school was a Vision Agent Orange.

IMG_3773

It's a long story, but that board helped me meet the band. It has since been appropriately autographed.

David S. Wallens
8/5/16 8:15 p.m.

I got a little crazy with the top.

IMG_3777

Thinking back, I might have done this while my arm was in a cast. I remember sitting on the stairs cutting up the grip tape. At some point the dog stepped on the tail of the board and sent everything flying. (Not that dog; she doesn't remember the '80.s)

David S. Wallens
8/5/16 8:17 p.m.

So check this out. Agent Orange now offers their own skateboards with retro graphics in three sizes, including the all-important 10x30-inch plank. (Technically it's 10.75x10.75 inches.)

So, yeah, I had to get one. Mike signed it, too. (Thanks, Mike!)

IMG_5332

The deck showed up the other day.

David S. Wallens
8/5/16 8:21 p.m.

Today I picked up wheels and stuff from NSB Skatepark. They manage our local park but keep more inventory down in New Smyrna Beach.

The top of the deck is stained, not really painted, so I went with clear grip tape. The deck, by the way, is a piece of art. The finish is just right.

IMG_5347

Wheels are soft ones from Penny. They look old-school and should be perfect for just skating up and down the street.

IMG_5348

They had to order the Indy 169 trucks, though, since not too many people build up these wide boards. They should have the trucks on Monday.

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
8/5/16 9:56 p.m.

I think my last board was a P&P Tony Hawk :) Must have been about 1988 or so!

David S. Wallens
8/5/16 10:29 p.m.
irish44j wrote: I think my last board was a P&P Tony Hawk :) Must have been about 1988 or so!

Powell-Peralta had some killer designs. They're now offering some reissues, too.

VWguyBruce
VWguyBruce Dork
8/5/16 11:09 p.m.

Sweet deck. All this reissue stuff is killer. Cool bikes, Dag Nasty new single, Descendants new album, the world is glowing 80's. And with the Agent Orange theme, I bought this today:

David S. Wallens
8/6/16 11:20 p.m.

Sweet shirt. I have one, too.

David S. Wallens
8/6/16 11:22 p.m.

Some old school Vision designs are back in production, too.

crankwalk
crankwalk Dork
8/6/16 11:27 p.m.

My first board was a hand me down Mark Gonzales Vision followed by a Mark Gonzales Blind board. I always thought that was funny how Blind was started because they thought Vision.....well didn't have one.

Drew122
Drew122 New Reader
8/7/16 5:27 a.m.
David S. Wallens wrote:
irish44j wrote: I think my last board was a P&P Tony Hawk :) Must have been about 1988 or so!
Powell-Peralta had some killer designs. They're now offering some reissues, too.

I still have my original Powell Peralta Ollie out in the garage that I bought in '82(?).

Some days I want to go all old school and get a mohawk, some gnarly thrash boots, ride my skateboard and play my Circle Jerks album as the neighborhood kids that ride their skateboards to school pass by. Just a head nod and "'sup".

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
8/7/16 6:52 a.m.

I still have my Madrid skateboard from 1984. Complete with all of the "guards" you could get. I'll try to get a picture of it the next time I'm home, but it's similar to this one (same graphic design in different colors; natural deck & red "M"):

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
8/7/16 6:59 a.m.
David S. Wallens wrote:

That's awesome. I remember wanting a Skull & Sword board, but for some reason ended up with the Madrid instead. 32 years later, I don't remember why. In a way, I don't mind since the Powell Peralta boards were a lot more common and I liked having something a bit different - trait that would continue through to my guitar and cycling hobbies...

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
8/7/16 8:06 a.m.
David S. Wallens wrote:

So, i am now 109% certain i can never, ever meet you in person. Because you like waaaaaaay too much stuff i like, and swmbo would probably kill me for over nerding. I was shopping powells stuff...4 days ago. That steve Caballero.....

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/7/16 8:42 a.m.

I had a Vision Mark Gonzales like this one but with white Proton wheels:

And my brother a Santa Cruz Jeff Grosso

They were at my grandmas house and one day my aunt threw them away along with our BMXs ... They were taking up too much space in the garage.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
8/7/16 9:09 a.m.

Old school is relative...I think the last time I was on a skateboard was about 1967.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/7/16 6:59 p.m.

... Googling dag nasty new single ...

Madhatr
Madhatr Reader
8/8/16 6:33 p.m.

This is all pretty cool... I grew up out in the country, miles from pavement. So, I had bicycles and off road R/C cars, but never got to do the skate board stuff

I did pick this up at an estate sale a couple years back. Not as graphic as everyone elses, but it is a beautiful board.

photo 2012-08-26 20.50.24_1.jpg

photo 2012-08-26 20.52.05_1.jpg

I have yet to figure out when it was made though...

David S. Wallens
8/8/16 6:40 p.m.

Cool longboard. Somewhere there's person who knows more about it. There's always that one expert, right?

crankwalk
crankwalk Dork
8/8/16 7:07 p.m.

Makaha still makes those traditional 1960's designs. If it was original 60s it would probably have clay or even metal wheels. (Though they could have been changed) I would say yours is an 80s model that was done in the 60s throwback design except for the modern polyurethane wheels. That's a pretty cool cruiser.

Makaha

Madhatr
Madhatr Reader
8/8/16 7:52 p.m.

In reply to crankwalk:

Yeah, by the wheels I was guessing late 70's to the 80's. I bought it because I thought it was beautiful and I didn't pay that much for it. I would love to know more about it... someday I will find that info.

failboat
failboat UberDork
8/9/16 7:34 a.m.

I have one of these decks kicking around in my garage. no hardware. Will likely hang on the wall unless i start piecing together some trucks and wheels to roll around the neighborhood on.

for some reason I didnt keep any of my other old early skateboards. I think i kept this one because the graphics werent torn to hell and it looks cool.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UberDork
8/9/16 8:24 a.m.

I still have this from when I was a kid:

It's a 1987ish Powell Peralta Steve Caballero board. When I was about 5, I coveted this board when I saw my older cousin's friend with one. I found this one in the skate/surf shop I spent a lot of time in for $5 later on when I was about 15. I used to have a vintage set of Tracker trucks that went with it, but I couldn't find them when I slapped the deck together. It has a Venture in the front and a... gasp... Variflex in the back. Yes they are two different sizes. Yes it's squirrelly. It's running 60mm Acid Rain wheels too. I last rode it around at the $2014 Challenge, but it's best suited for decorative duty because it's in rough shape.

Those "Hardcorps" stickers on there are from the now defunct surf/skate shop Hardcorps in Hull, MA. That place was legendary. The owner was also into weird, awesome cars, and would fit in just fine here. Put it this way: he had a modded Maserati Biturbo back in the day that actually ran well!

jpnovak
jpnovak Reader
8/9/16 9:23 a.m.

Fun times. "This is the Voice" is still one of my favorite albums. Funny how "A" bands come up first on the ipod and I always listen to it.

Have an original Alva Fish with the fluorescent airbrush strokes. Still has the Tracker Ultralight with plastic baseplates (showing stress but not cracked). I think I broke all my old boards from that era. Currently have 2 Arbor longboards that I cruise with my son on. Had to teach him carve, style and flow before flippity tricks. He is progressing nicely.

David S. Wallens
8/9/16 1:20 p.m.
1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sYfOXUbTgCrJy8f7eU5q32aq6Y12fKVazthylbpKOdBC8oaeF5f0JuJiQmPmiPe9