Then controlled explosions!

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
5/22/20 3:28 a.m.

Packaging. 

maschinenbau (I live here)
maschinenbau (I live here) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/22/20 8:18 a.m.

Which coils do you run and what do they cost?

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
5/22/20 9:48 a.m.

In reply to maschinenbau (I live here) :

They look like stock truck coils

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/22/20 10:15 a.m.

Man, this build is super sano.

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
5/22/20 10:54 a.m.
maschinenbau (I live here) said:

Which coils do you run and what do they cost?

Stock truck. Took an hour just to get all the grime and slime off of them. 

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Dork
5/23/20 11:03 a.m.

Let's go drifting breeehh...

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
5/23/20 11:20 a.m.

In reply to TheV8Kid :

LOL-Wohoooo!

Bent-Valve (FS)
Bent-Valve (FS) HalfDork
5/23/20 11:02 p.m.

Ok, so I know you haven't ever built or driven a FWD drag car, but I figure you have done more research than I have.

The lever is for brakes (rear?) during burnout?

If that is correct, do the sliding rear tires cause difficulty keeping it straight? (torque steer, which I know you're concerned about)

Edit -- With sleep another possibility occurred to me, trans brake. Isn't that usually an electric solenoid that keeps it in 1st and reverse? Is there a hydraulic way to do that?

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
5/25/20 3:43 a.m.
Bent-Valve (FS) said:

Ok, so I know you haven't ever built or driven a FWD drag car, but I figure you have done more research than I have.

The lever is for brakes (rear?) during burnout?

If that is correct, do the sliding rear tires cause difficulty keeping it straight? (torque steer, which I know you're concerned about)

Edit -- With sleep another possibility occurred to me, trans brake. Isn't that usually an electric solenoid that keeps it in 1st and reverse? Is there a hydraulic way to do that?

For the rear brakes - yes

During  burnout - yes

Difficult to keep straight - No

Concerned about torque steer - No

Trans brake - usually electric- yes,  1st and reverse - yes, possible to do it hydraulically - yes but not a good idea. 

Bent-Valve (FS)
Bent-Valve (FS) HalfDork
5/25/20 6:29 a.m.

In reply to wheels777 :

Thanks. I know some basics but not the detailed works. 

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Dork
5/25/20 7:35 p.m.

Houston. We have door handles.

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 Reader
5/28/20 6:51 p.m.

I found a meme that accurately depicts the race that will happen between us at this years challenge.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Dork
5/28/20 8:32 p.m.

In reply to surfshibby07 :

You know it! Lol

Bent-Valve (FS)
Bent-Valve (FS) HalfDork
5/28/20 10:19 p.m.
TheV8Kid said:

Houston. We have door handles.

I'll be honest, I am going to straight up steal ideas from this thread.

I noticed other cars with the door framing cut out, every little bit of weight, yada yada. Do you trim the edge with something or just run a sander over it to round it a bit? I went through the Yellow ZX2 with a cutoff wheel and grinder to get rid of most of the pokey things left over from the interior. But I didn't do the doors, this time I am.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Dork
5/29/20 5:33 a.m.

In reply to Bent-Valve (FS) :

Yep. We just hit it with a flap disk.

stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/29/20 1:42 p.m.
Bent-Valve (FS) said:

I noticed other cars with the door framing cut out, every little bit of weight, yada yada. Do you trim the edge with something or just run a sander over it to round it a bit? I went through the Yellow ZX2 with a cutoff wheel and grinder to get rid of most of the pokey things left over from the interior. But I didn't do the doors, this time I am.

On the AMC we brought in 2017, I used a short piece of scrap metal and cut a slot about 1/2" into one end. I used this to bend/roll the exposed edges of the door sheet metal toward the door skins, leaving a smooth edge. Basically a really cheap and easy flanging tool. The same tool can be used to add dimple flanges to lightening holes in most thin sheet.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/29/20 2:47 p.m.
stafford1500 said:
Bent-Valve (FS) said:

On the AMC we brought in 2017, I used a short piece of scrap metal and cut a slot about 1/2" into one end. I used this to bend/roll the exposed edges of the door sheet metal toward the door skins, leaving a smooth edge. Basically a really cheap and easy flanging tool. The same tool can be used to add dimple flanges to lightening holes in most thin sheet.

best use of an adjustable wrench?

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
5/31/20 4:44 p.m.

Sometimes it is hard to imagine how much time and effort you'll go through to avoid cost and to use cheap stuff. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/1/20 2:07 a.m.

In reply to stafford1500 :

Care to share us a pic of that tool?

stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/1/20 6:55 a.m.
Appleseed said:

In reply to stafford1500 :

Care to share us a pic of that tool?

a newer version that makes it easier to get into corners. Sharpie marks are depth guides for more or less even flange width.

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
6/1/20 7:30 p.m.

Door window restraint. Inching forward. 

bluej (Forum Supporter)
bluej (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/1/20 9:24 p.m.

keeping the glass instead of something else?  not worth the weight improvement for the budget hit at this time?

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
6/2/20 2:53 a.m.
bluej (Forum Supporter) said:

keeping the glass instead of something else?  not worth the weight improvement for the budget hit at this time?

Correct. I have a pile of Lexan, but every piece is slightly smaller in length or scratched.   The factory glass (both pieces) are 16#-13oz plus the minor amount of material for the restraint. Hopefully we can get some scrap Lexan from the sign shop before the end of the year. The shut down has made finding some of the typical supplies difficult. 

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Dork
6/2/20 8:08 p.m.

More progress. Wiring takes a lot of work.

We're hoping the car is fast enough to need this.

1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 21

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VyDVDrQILZkhvfAF6CFlhd6Ct99VZThAEvjc9oL0uTNArB939DHY6AUMlFNo37qc