1 2 3 4 ... 21
gumby
gumby GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/4/20 2:10 p.m.

This is nucking futz. Can't wait to see it!

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/4/20 2:18 p.m.

Looking gooooooood!

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Dork
3/4/20 2:54 p.m.

In reply to Fladiver64 :

So, lately we've been trying to use as many parts as we have laying around as possible. The Challenge is very much an addiction. Lol. It is hard to pass up good deals, because it is always in terms of the challenge. We've been at this for a while. We have quite the collection. 

Also, a big parts supply is eBay and Amazon. Cheap Chinese junk is all I have to say there. Lol

Another thing. You guessed it. Raw materials are cheap. Our time is free to us.

Some pricing details on this particular project:

• 2 Eagle Talons $300 (sold parts from deal to zero it out)
  • Borg Warner S475 turbo $125
  • Cadillac transmission/suspension $135
  • Camaro struts $50
  • Front wheels $100
  • Rear wheels $100 (might swap them out)
MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/4/20 2:59 p.m.

So you are going the 4t80-e route then?

I stumbled across ls4 kings videos earlier as I am considering a impala as for rallycross.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Dork
3/4/20 3:01 p.m.

In reply to MrChaos :

Yep. The 4t65e is a dumpster fire 

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/4/20 3:05 p.m.
TheV8Kid said:

In reply to MrChaos :

Yep. The 4t65e is a dumpster fire 

I mean I understand for drag racing/anythingother than stock power, but what are your thoughts about it in rallycross at stock power levels?

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) PowerDork
3/4/20 3:45 p.m.

Love the front flare solution. Did you do that edge with a shrinker/stretcher? Which Ebay flares are the plastic bits. I need a fairly wide flare for my build.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Dork
3/4/20 5:08 p.m.

In reply to MrChaos :

Yeah. Even stock power, they are not great. You can find cheap low miles LS4 because GM put a bad transmission behind them. You can find cheap low miles 4t80e transmissions because GM put a bad engine in front of them. Hope that came across the right way. Not trying to be a jerk.

For Rallycross, I imagine the loads are a little less than typical use, so it might work. Hard to say.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/4/20 7:56 p.m.

In reply to TheV8Kid :

Don't worry, we all agree with you the 4t65 and Northstar are both junk. Imagine if GM had paired those up and instead used the 4t80e behind the LS4. Think of all the sloppy turbo Monte's we would have today.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Dork
3/4/20 9:06 p.m.

In reply to DeadSkunk (Warren) :

​​​​We used a radius roller on a piece of box tubing to get that shape. The  cut out the one half of the box tune. 

We used these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/371962033879

They're 90mm flares. They're not great for curved surfaces like the tops of the fenders, hence why we made the modifications we did.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/4/20 9:06 p.m.

You said you got 2 ls4s.

Any chance we will get to see this thing dual engine AWD? It is a dsm after all.

Please?

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Dork
3/4/20 9:07 p.m.

In reply to maschinenbau :

Yeah. I think the starter situation was probably what killed that. Would have been very cool if they had done that.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Dork
3/4/20 9:09 p.m.

In reply to Robbie :

Uh. No. I can't say we didn't think about it. I think it will hurt enough feelings the way it is. Of course, that could all change. Ask me in 6 months. Lol

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Dork
3/5/20 12:05 p.m.
Tony Sestito said:

This thing is going to be insane! So, you are doing both the GRM Challenge and the Furches Performance...err... LS4 King event with it?

Missed this one. Sorry. Yes, we plan to do both Challenges. Lol. It will be Challenging. 

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
3/7/20 4:40 a.m.
TheV8Kid said:
Tony Sestito said:

This thing is going to be insane! So, you are doing both the GRM Challenge and the Furches Performance...err... LS4 King event with it?

Missed this one. Sorry. Yes, we plan to do both Challenges. Lol. It will be Challenging. 

would you run Drag Week with this car?  I'd guess that it doesn't fit well in their classing system.  but, barring that... ?

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
3/7/20 5:20 a.m.
sleepyhead the buffalo said:
TheV8Kid said:
Tony Sestito said:

would you run Drag Week with this car?  I'd guess that it doesn't fit well in their classing system.  but, barring that... ?

No sir. It will see a lot of racing but not at Drag Week. 

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
3/7/20 5:59 a.m.

(Mike drop)

Run_Away
Run_Away GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/7/20 8:56 a.m.

Awesome! I found your video on YouTube a couple days ago, I was hoping there would be a build thread.

This is a 2020 challenge car? I wasn't planning on making it this year but I may have to now

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
3/7/20 11:11 a.m.

In reply to wheels777 :

Track-only car.  Gotcha!

Reading up on this a bit, I'm curious to see (eventually) how y'all are planning to make both wheels put '777hp' to the ground.

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
3/8/20 8:34 a.m.
sleepyhead the buffalo said:

In reply to wheels777 :

Track-only car.  Gotcha!

Reading up on this a bit, I'm curious to see (eventually) how y'all are planning to make both wheels put '777hp' to the ground.

Not saying track only. Just saying no DragWeek. 777 is a reasonable target with the size turbo we have. However that would be total wheel, not each. I am sure Calvin can run the turbo math. 

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/8/20 11:04 a.m.

In reply to TheV8Kid :

Hey Calvin-did you ever post information or a build thread about your injector test rig? I scored some cheap injectors for my challenge CRX but want to test a different PWs before putting them in. Any info on how you put yours together would be awesome!

/threadjack sorry!

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Dork
3/8/20 7:28 p.m.

In reply to CrustyRedXpress :

I might have posted it somewhere. Can't remember. It's not terrible complicated. It's just of rail from a LS engine with the regulator and return. I rigged it up with a solid state relay and an Arduino. You could do it with a Microsquirt if you wanted to. 

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Dork
3/15/20 7:36 p.m.

Last weekend we cut the roof off. The previous owner did a great job of welding themselves into a corner. Basically everywhere that was visible and easy to get to was welded. The rest (which is required to be welded) was not. So we cut the roof off, and cut the cage out. We finished all the welds out.

A whole lot of welding, some sanding, and painting, and we have this.

Naturally, we weighed it while it was out.

Next we need to clean up the floors and lay down some paint and then reinstall the cage. More to come...

Greg Smith
Greg Smith Dork
3/17/20 10:14 p.m.

Following. That's a *serious* cage!

wheels777
wheels777 UltraDork
3/18/20 5:57 a.m.
Greg Smith said:

Following. That's a *serious* cage!

It's a 7.50 cert cage... or will be.  Of the 105 welds, only 27 were actually done.  2 tubes had to be cut out and the tubing refitted.  There is 1 whole week in the fixing and welding of the cage.Our long term goals for the car requires being equipped with the SFI 25.5 (7.50 cert) cage.  The cage and frankly the car were completely unusable as purchased.  Mounting points were not landed correctly.  Tubing fitment was not correct on 3 tubes.  1 tube was not the correct size.  78 welds were not welded and many were in a position that were inaccessible to the Tig torch head.  So we cut the roof off and removed the cage.

1 2 3 4 ... 21

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QiL9pihY8Z4o70yCxFsM7vFRE2zh3WUDBsDrGlrAktyScbMiVbsmkFZhNI6MsqyS