1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 21
wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
3/20/20 2:18 p.m.

In reply to DeadSkunk (Warren) :

No sir. 

But most are intimidated by big projects and freeze at the size of the elephant. If you segment each part as a project....you eat the elephant one bite at a time.  

step 1 - cut the roof off - done

step 2 - cut the cage out - done

step 3 - fix the cage - done

step 4 - reinstall -  this is not done as we plan to clean and paint everything while the cage is not in the way. 

We actually discussed the whole project as a 1 month effort. We are 12 days into it (cage repair and roof install) and hope to have the cage back in on day 25-27. The roof panel will go back on around day 29-33. We will be adding a bunch of reinforcements to hinge points before the final placement and associated welding are completed.

in reality, the floor work in the back will require a ridiculous amount of work when compared to the net value gained. But we have bigger plans so the effort will be invested. 

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Dork
3/20/20 2:50 p.m.
wheelsmithy said:
wheels777 said:

So we cut the roof off and removed the cage.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Dork
3/26/20 8:19 a.m.

Sometimes you have to tear it down before you can build it back up.

Gross.

Ew.

Yuck

That's better

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Dork
3/26/20 8:25 a.m.

Also worked on adapting the Talon steering rack to the Cadillac subframe/suspension.

More on this later...

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/26/20 10:45 a.m.

That is some badass tin work right there. Well done.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Dork
3/29/20 8:16 p.m.

More progress. We cut the wheel tub out of the new parts car, and welded it in.

Fixing previous owners mess.

It is a totally different car.

Welded tabs on to attach the floor.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Dork
3/29/20 9:05 p.m.

Also finished up the steering adapter sleeves 

java230
java230 UberDork
3/29/20 11:08 p.m.

Those hands have stories to tell. Keep It up. Shows how much work is in these builds. 

loudandproud
loudandproud New Reader
3/30/20 8:46 a.m.

Every time i log on here to get an update from you guys this is my exact reaction ^^ lol

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/30/20 11:19 a.m.

Work looks great as always.

The packaging of that transmission is crazy.  It basically fills all available space.  I wonder how little empty space inside the case there is.  In guessing not much.  I mean the gears and guts of a transmission tend not to be square but that transmission is basically a rectangle on the end if the engine and a long square behind it.  

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Dork
3/30/20 11:26 a.m.

In reply to nocones :

Yeah. That big rectangle part is where the 1 inch wide drive chain resides. It's basically a 4L80E that has been sawed in two, and turned 180 degrees with a heavy duty chain to connect everything back up. Then they added a diff on the end. It is a massive piece, but if you think about it, that is 90% of the drivetrain for $135. Kind of hard to beat. The engines can be had for next to nothing because they are always breaking the 4T65E transmissions, and the only thing people want from the engines are the heads, because they are LS6 casting heads. What people don't know is that the Truck heads, which can be had for dirt cheap as well actually perform better on the smaller bore engines. It's a match made in Heaven.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/30/20 11:40 a.m.

In reply to TheV8Kid :

maybe i missed it, and i'm certainly too lazy to go back:  does the 4T80 bolt right up to the LS4?

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Dork
3/30/20 11:45 a.m.

​​​​​​In reply to AngryCorvair :

Yes*

* You have to shave a bit off the transmission case. Also you need to also find a place to run your starter. Most people mount it on the oil pan of the engine.

Like so

Is the corvair getting some scope creep?

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/30/20 12:02 p.m.
TheV8Kid said:

​​​​​​In reply to AngryCorvair :

Is the corvair getting some scope creep?

yes but not like this.  i require clutch.  my scope creep is probably limited to different wheel and tire selection.

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/30/20 4:12 p.m.
TheV8Kid said:
wheelsmithy said:
wheels777 said:

So we cut the roof off and removed the cage.

Not criticism, simply astounded by the awesome.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Dork
3/30/20 7:30 p.m.

In reply to wheelsmithy :

Sorry, couldn't tell. I thought it was a, "what are you thinking?!?!". You meant it as a "Mind blown".

It's cool. Just misunderstood what you were saying. Lol

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
3/30/20 7:35 p.m.
Pete Gossett said:

In reply to TheV8Kid :

I eventually need the 2 side pieces of the rear wing, though if I find any local/painted white that would be my first choice. However if you still have these & I've not found any I'd be very interested in picking them up at the Challenge!

Change of plans. The wing will be sold. We are trying to recover the purchase price. 

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
3/30/20 8:35 p.m.

Inching forward. 

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Dork
3/31/20 8:00 p.m.

Started working on the floor.

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
4/1/20 7:48 p.m.

inching forward...

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
4/1/20 7:53 p.m.

I LOVE THE COLOR!!!!!!!

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
4/1/20 8:00 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

I LOVE THE COLOR!!!!!!!

I have always wanted to paint a car this color.  Waited a long time to figure find the right car. You should have seen the look on Calvin's face when I brought the first can home.  Big fan of green cars. So is he. He warmed up to it pretty quickly. 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
4/1/20 8:12 p.m.

I have always wanted to as well. Just haven't found the right one yet.

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/1/20 8:46 p.m.

Another fan of the green here!  I'm in to follow. 

captainawesome
captainawesome HalfDork
4/1/20 8:53 p.m.

Please tell me you will do a Days of Thunder yellow/green fade....?

1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 21

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hU9ROm15Rvvvt8yVL2y7udDgVaCofUlVmNeo92pFvoyxlpev5417uuIFPbseRyB2