1 2 3 4
Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/10/20 7:06 p.m.

Back around 2015 Peavey shut down their manufacturing operations in MS. When they did, apparently they pretty much turned off the lights, locked the doors & walked away. Last year, one of the moderators of a FB Peavey group I'm in was hired to liquidate all the oddball leftovers scattered across multiple buildings. I messaged him & asked him to let me know if he found any oddball lefty bass stuff & a few weeks later he sent me pics of this. 

It's a 1-off prototype bowling ball-like finish on an otherwise stock body(though somewhat rare in the fact it's a lefty alone). I picked up for $150, but wasn't immediately sure what to do with it.

This would have originally been a standard(34") scale length, but due to reasons I only play 30" basses. However, there's no off-the-shelf solution - simply bolting on a 30" neck would typically require the bridge to be moved forward, occupying the same space as the rear pickup. No one really offers a custom solution without going 100% from $cratch custom either. 

So the project sat around for a few months until I stumbled upon this set of NOS pickups that I got for $80 off Marketplace a few weeks ago. 

That inspired me to get started, so I figured I might as well tackle the neck, since everything is dependent on it & the bridge. I picked up a 30"-scale Eden "paddle" neck of eBay for $69-shipped. One cool thing is it has marker dots on both sides of the neck, so it works for lefty's too! 

As you might guess, it's called a "paddle" neck due to the uncut/shaped headstock. For those not aware, an 8-string bass is similar to a 12-string guitar. There are 4 pairs of strings tuned in octaves. This will require 4-bass tuners, and 4-guitar tuners laid out 2-each per side. So the final headstock shape will be determined after the tuner location is set. 

If I'd left the neck as-is, it would have required the bridge to be centered slightly past the 30" mark. Hence the first obstacle. 

Both the neck pocket on the body and the heel of the neck are tapered to provide a snug fit, although the neck is larger than the pocket. This actually worked out to my favor. Here's where I decided to make my cuts. 

Some of you are probably wondering "what about the truss rod?" I decided to just watch for metal shavings while feeling for any change in density/resistance as I was sawing. 

That didn't work out too well...

Oops. I think I'll be ok though. There's a very narrow gap between the trimmed neck & the body, so I'll just make a shim that I can glue to the underside of the neck that'll cover up the exposed truss rod & keep it wedged in place against the body. 

On the plus side, trimming the neck resulted in a perfectly snug fit!

The heel joint looks off due to the trimmed neck, but fortunately there's still plenty of meat where the screws will fasten it. 

Next on the list: I need to order about $40 in hardware - a neck plate & screws, the tuners, strap locks, knobs, and pickup mounting screws. Then I need to order this bridge for $250. Ouch. I'll also need to order strings, which will probably be $35 to piece together a set. There are a couple brands that offer a packaged 8-string set, but I don't like the gauges they use. 

Once I get the headstock cut to shape & painted black I'll contact my local luthier & schedule a time to have him cut a nut for it. The one on the neck is already cut for a 4-string, which doesn't leave enough room for the high octave G-string, and I want a graphite but anyway. I'm hoping he'll have a leftover piece of plastic I can buy to cut into a cover for the control cavity on back too. 

wawazat
wawazat HalfDork
2/10/20 7:45 p.m.

That body finish is gorgeous!   I've never heard of an 8 string bass before.   

Azryael
Azryael Reader
2/10/20 8:02 p.m.

Looks like a fun project. I've never had the chance to play a bass equipped with EMGs, so I'll be curious of your feedback on how they sound.

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/10/20 8:14 p.m.

Awesome! 8 string basses are great, our bassist has a long scale one made by a suprising company that's great!

Cool that Derrick hooked you up too

Pete Gossett
2/10/20 8:24 p.m.
wawazat said:

That body finish is gorgeous!   I've never heard of an 8 string bass before.   

Thanks! Pictures truly don't do justice to the finish. 

8-string Bass has been used on quite a few recordings, but much of the time it's either too buried or too distorted(to mimic a second guitar) to be recognizable. This Zeppelin song has a pretty audible bass line though, especially if you're listening in stereo. 

Pete Gossett
2/10/20 8:26 p.m.
Azryael said:

Looks like a fun project. I've never had the chance to play a bass equipped with EMGs, so I'll be curious of your feedback on how they sound.

I've never owned a bass with EMGs before, but I've never heard one with them that I thought sounded bad. There's not much info online about the pickup set I bought, so I'll just have to try them out & see. 

Pete Gossett
2/10/20 8:30 p.m.

In reply to Antihero :

Schecter? I've heard really good things about theirs. 

I have a friend who let me borrow his original Hagstrom 8-string for a few years & I absolutely loved it, but he won't sell it, sadly. I eventually bought one myself, but it neither played nor sounded as good as his, despite being built less than 6-months apart, so I sold it in my "no more right-handed basses!" purge about 6-years ago. 

barefootskater
barefootskater SuperDork
2/10/20 8:54 p.m.

Those EMGs will serve you well. But if you decide otherwise I'll gladly buy them off you wink I have a j-bass that is missing something I think active pickups would provide  

I dig the project though. Eager to see what you end up doing with that paddle. 

Pete Gossett
2/10/20 8:57 p.m.

In reply to barefootskater :

Thanks! I just dropped another ~$55 on eBay for(hopefully) all the remaining components except the bridge. I forgot I needed a 9v battery box, and the tuners I'd saved were out of stock so I had to go with the next slightly more expensive option. 

Antihero
2/10/20 9:15 p.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett :

Rogue actually. Active and passive electronics, brass nut, supposedly solid maple too. It's....suprisingly good

Rogue 8 string

barefootskater
barefootskater SuperDork
2/10/20 10:04 p.m.

My old 5 string never had a battery box. Just wrap it in tape and foam and party. I gigged that way with no case for years. Just don't forget to unplug it or you'll have to pay $14 for a 9v at the nearest qwik-e-mart, 7 minutes before you go on, because your a-wad guitarist won't let you borrow one from his third-stream backup because "bro, I break strings all the time"

live fast, rock hard. 

barefootskater
barefootskater SuperDork
2/10/20 10:06 p.m.

In reply to Antihero :

A good buddy has a little Rogue practice amp. Shockingly good. Everything I've had by them has been less so.  

Antihero
2/10/20 10:18 p.m.
barefootskater said:

In reply to Antihero :

A good buddy has a little Rogue practice amp. Shockingly good. Everything I've had by them has been less so.  

Our bassist used a $69 rogue fir a long time.....it actually sounds good and the action is stupid low.

He also has a violin bass that's great.

The 5 string.......was not very good

Pete Gossett
2/11/20 12:11 a.m.

In reply to Antihero :

Oh that's sweet! Most of their stuff seems pretty nice once you give it a good setup. 

Antihero
2/11/20 10:39 a.m.
Pete Gossett said:

In reply to Antihero :

Oh that's sweet! Most of their stuff seems pretty nice once you give it a good setup. 

I was suprised, I mean....these are cheap.

The 8 string was on special and he got it as a Xmas gift for $139 or so. It's a hell of a lot of bass for that

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
2/11/20 1:14 p.m.

I was wondering if you ended up with anything from the Peavey purge; guess I have my answer! laugh

I messaged that mod about a replacement pickup for the P pickup on my Foundation S, but he never got back to me. I think a set of DiMarzios will end up in it; they look the same as the stock Schaller pickups which were pretty much DiMarzio copies.

This is a cool project!

Pete Gossett
2/11/20 6:09 p.m.

In reply to Tony Sestito :

I may know where there's a set of 5-string pickups, let me ask.

He also offered me another bass that I'm considering. It's a full-scale bass so I'll probably never play it, but it's a 1-of-kind lefty prototype. Unfortunately it's missing pickups & he's not found any, but he's still searching. 

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
2/12/20 8:07 a.m.

It's a Foundation S 4-string. blush

Someone took out the perfectly good stock pickup and swapped in a random SGC Nanyo P-pickup that I think is actually supposed to be active; only the left half of it works. The stock Schaller J pickup is still there and works. As you can see, that Schaller looks a lot like a DiMarzio.

Pete Gossett
2/12/20 9:18 a.m.

Oh damn. Have you asked the Peavey Cvlt if anyone has one?

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
2/12/20 10:17 a.m.

Someone directed me toward some weird German website that showed them on a downloadable spreadsheet. I think with shipping, the DiMarzio set is actually cheaper than buying just the P-pickup! The thing needs to be re-wired anyway, so I don't mind changing both out. Seriously; look at these wires!

I just want it to have the look of the original bass with the black adjustable poles.

Pete Gossett
2/12/20 3:25 p.m.

I've seen(done) worse!

Pete Gossett
2/13/20 1:16 p.m.

Parts have started to trickle in. 

That's 4 bass tuners(2-left & 2-right), the strap locks, and pickup mounting screws. The guitar tuners & knobs should be here tomorrow, while the battery box & neck plate are due on the 18th. Of course the neck plate is what I need to attach the neck, so I can then plot out & drill the tuner holes, which will allow me to determine th shape of the headstock & cut it out...

I'm going to go ahead & get the pickups mounted & work on the wiring though. 

Pete Gossett
2/13/20 7:20 p.m.

Well that didn't work out...

The pickup screws are too short. These are barely threaded & not deep enough to actually hold the pickup. Looks like I'll be running to the hardware stores Saturday to see if I can find anything that'll work. They need to be about 1/8" diameter, but at least 1-3/8" long. 

smokeysevin
smokeysevin New Reader
2/14/20 10:55 a.m.

Couple things:

If the bass emg's use the same pickup screws as the guitars do, they are like impossible to find locally, I drove around houston for 2 or 3 hours trying to find them before ordering them from stew mac or something.

If you are setting up the pickups from scratch, there are new "plug and play" kits that are solderless now and come with new pots, wiring, and the switch controller which is super easy.

I am not sure if the bass EMG's are the same but I run 18v on my 81/85 in my esp and I love it. Supposedly you can run up to 27v.

Really cool setup, I can't wait to see how the head ends up shaped.

Sean

Pete Gossett
2/14/20 6:30 p.m.

In reply to smokeysevin :

Thanks! This is an older EMG set, so although the pots & jack are all prewired, and the leads just plug onto the pickups, I still need to solder them to the pots. That's not too much trouble though. 

Thanks for the tips on the pickup screws too! I have 4 that came with the pickups, but they're also too short. Although they're a bit longer than the black ones I ordered. 

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cEAPgF20nSBlu0st31snmShhYwzwLRxuCDlKJ5q213RzSguNpNzIkeTBzt1nzwkf