1 2 3
sachilles
sachilles SuperDork
3/9/13 2:21 p.m.

Some of you may have seen me post about my son Andrew. He has become obsessed with hillclimbing. He's the little guy waving like a mad man as you come down the hill. While I've tried to teach him the way of the subaru, he continues be a devoted fan of the open wheeled cars, in addition to trucks. When it comes down to it, I think he really loves the sound of a V8. He's currently obsessed with hill climbing, and we've spent many an hour lining up his hotwheels and doing complete events with fam runs and the bring down etc. He was lucky enough to receive a hand me down Peg perego electric "John Deere" gator. Batteries were shot. However my friend James Phillips, saved the day with a call into his buddies at interstate battery, and now the thing has run pretty well for a season. Andrew has really taken to driving the thing. He's decided that it needs some upgrades to turn it into a race gator. First up is to add a roll cage, cause every racer needs a cage. Improved wiring will follow, along with an upgrade from 12 volts to 18 volts, with possibly a push to pass functionality.

With out further delay

This is my son Andrew, as we depart for roll cage supplies.

Where does one get roll cage supplies in Waitsfield Vermont? At Kenyon's Variety store of course. They are the official parts supplier of the race gator project as well as being home to SCCV wintercross.

One of our early challenges was getting the raw tube home from the store. We only had my trusty Subaru, and the tube is a solid 10 feet long. After some early head scratching, we rolled down a window and enjoyed the winter air.

Once home, we pulled the gator into our plush heated work shop. Please don't tell my wife Rhonda.

I'm sure you are wondering what the heck we are going to make the cage out of it. Since the gator is plastic, we figured PVC was a wise choice. It's light weight, easy to work with and it's a approved for drinking water. Based on the weight of the gator we chose .75 inch PVC. It makes assembly a snap for a 4 year old.

Below you can see the junior fabricator in action. Below we are mocking up the main hoop, and getting the harness bar at just the right height.

After the first day of fabrication, Andrew is taking a break and showing off his handy work. We had run out of some important fittings, and Phineas and Ferb were on so we decided to call it a day and relax a little bit.

After a second and third trip to Kenyon's we had the supplies we'd need to continue. Below Andrew is showing me how to use the drill to attach the cage to the front of the chassis.

As you can see most of the main structure is complete. Andrew poses for a glamor shot to give his sponsors some face time. While you can see he has many sponsors, he still has some spots left for associate sponsors. If you'd like to sponsor feel free to contact him directly.

We made good progress on the cage, but it still needs paint. The only place warm enough on property is this fabulous work shop, but we didn't we want to risk a yellow over spray, so we'll have to save it for when it warms up outside. For now we decided to get the harness fitted up.

While far from done, this is the last picture of the project for now. You've been warned, this guy wants to be king of the hill....enjoy your time at the top of the leaderboard, because he's gunnin' for you.

xflowgolf
xflowgolf HalfDork
3/9/13 2:55 p.m.

Ha, nice work! My son just turned four and he has one of those Gators as well.

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
3/9/13 4:09 p.m.

I have TWO of that exact car seat. Glad to know someone else has excellent taste.

sachilles
sachilles SuperDork
3/9/13 5:18 p.m.

Did you get them on woot? We did.

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
3/9/13 5:41 p.m.

Actually got one VERY lightly used from a friend, and picked the other one up on clearance from Amazon. One black, one blue, to match the ms3 and the MINI.

ValuePack
ValuePack SuperDork
3/9/13 8:12 p.m.

Nice Impreza! Oddly enough, I had the same Recaro in it. Killer project, want to put something similar together for my boy later this year. I'm thinking limited Lifan power, however.

"We" are going to need some more Subaru pics.

sachilles
sachilles SuperDork
3/9/13 8:16 p.m.

It's serving us well thanks. Going to need a rear strut before too long. Other wise doing well.

irish44j
irish44j UltraDork
3/9/13 8:32 p.m.

epic build!

I think his racetruck needs a GRM sticker though.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/9/13 8:33 p.m.

I thought this was the name of Per's new baby.

sachilles
sachilles SuperDork
3/10/13 6:09 a.m.
irish44j wrote: epic build! I think his racetruck needs a GRM sticker though.

It has one on the the tailgate.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/12/13 9:03 a.m.

LOL nice! You gotta give it some power mods (voltage increase) and maybe some rally lights (bicycle lights mounted to the roll bar) now

sachilles
sachilles SuperDork
3/12/13 9:16 a.m.

I mentioned it in the first post, but I'm going to re-wire and up it to 18 volts for more power. I may also do a push to pass type of button for more power. Apparently the "transmission" doesn't hold the additional power all that well.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey SuperDork
3/12/13 9:25 a.m.

bad. ass.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
3/12/13 9:28 a.m.

Hey. No stickers within reach of the wipers!

Sky_Render
Sky_Render Dork
3/12/13 10:03 a.m.

Awesomest. Build thread. Evar.

xflowgolf
xflowgolf HalfDork
3/12/13 10:21 a.m.
sachilles wrote: I mentioned it in the first post, but I'm going to re-wire and up it to 18 volts for more power. I may also do a push to pass type of button for more power. Apparently the "transmission" doesn't hold the additional power all that well.

I will be watching with interest..

GameboyRMH
3/12/13 10:42 a.m.
N Sperlo wrote: Hey. No stickers within reach of the wipers!

I don't see any wipers. It's really more of a fairing anyways. And what's a giant sticker or two if you do love you some fig newtons?

sachilles
sachilles SuperDork
3/12/13 12:02 p.m.

Honestly debating removing the stock windshield and considering adding some plexi to the lower half of the cage. The stock windshield is actually broken. I figure adding plexi to the lower half of that front part of the cage would actually make it more rigid.

jpnovak
jpnovak New Reader
3/13/13 4:28 p.m.

The harness and door bars are awesome!

sachilles
sachilles SuperDork
5/14/13 1:55 p.m.

I've been a little tardy updating this thread. Earlier this month we took a little trip south to see our favorite rodent and attend his driving academy. Andrew is below inspecting the fleet of cars. He was slightly disappointed to see fenders.

Like any racer, no matter the ride, any day racin' is a good day.

After a full week down south, it was time to get back to business on the race gator.

Reverse seemed to have some issues, so it was time to break apart the shifter in order to find out the source of our failure. Some times it is good to have small hands, Andrew displays the source of our torment, a broken shifter mechanism.

We've got reverse working. We've dispensed with the shift lever and got to a direct button shift, works great for leaving J strips on the lawn. Unsure how good it will be for the long term health of the transmission. The roll cage is currently in the paint process. We went with John Deere Yellow.

With the cage off, and the rear bed off, Andrew decided he likes it that way. He wants to fabricate a wing for the back. So that project will continue a bit. In the mean time, Andrew decided to pose for a press photo for his upcoming media barrage. Looks like he might need the next size up driving suit.

Stay tuned.

GameboyRMH
5/14/13 4:33 p.m.

LOL great pics!

Flight Service
Flight Service UltimaDork
5/14/13 4:35 p.m.

Love it dude!

nepa03focus
nepa03focus Reader
5/15/13 10:21 p.m.

Man that last pic is awesome, lol. your a good dad. I wonder if you could wire up a cheap MP3 player and a speaker so it played engine sounds when turned on

ValuePack
ValuePack SuperDork
5/16/13 12:41 a.m.

Berking... awesome.

sachilles
sachilles SuperDork
5/16/13 5:56 a.m.

In reply to nepa03focus: That is a good thought, but honestly, it is actually pretty loud. The plastic gears whine quite a bit. Louder than your average hybrid.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dASp3kcL9nbtiGUOl8K9sjlJf23EvW85oBiODDvxWHqQpitxdZ6Ut1ouKAjBDmiV