1 ... 11 12 13
PseudoSport Dork
11/22/17 2:49 p.m.

I went with www.deltacam.com in Tacoma, WA. It's best to call as i didn't have much luck emailing them. Reground cam, resurfaced rockers, and shipping back was about $135.

They are also more active on FB if you want to see more of their work. 






Dusterbd13 MegaDork
11/22/17 5:01 p.m.

Thats CHEAP. gonna have to look into that for the challenge car....

mikeatrpi HalfDork
11/23/17 2:03 p.m.

I love reading about your adventures every time you post.  Thank you for sharing!

PseudoSport Dork
11/28/17 10:20 a.m.

Glad you like it. Its been an interesting journey of learning to road race with lemons plus consistently fixing and modifying things.  

Picked up the engine from the machine shop. Block cleaned up way better then I expected. I had no idea there was blue paint on it! Its bored +.040 and decked just enough to clean up most of the rust. 

Crank polished up nicely but the rest of it still looks terrible since i didn't have it blasted.


One thing i did splurge on was adding ARP rod bolts and having the rods resized. Little piece of mind since we plan on revving it to almost 7000 RPM's


Mr. Lee
Mr. Lee UberDork
12/8/17 12:48 p.m.

Fantastic work

badwaytolive New Reader
12/11/17 10:48 a.m.

Great thread, thanks for sharing!

PseudoSport Dork
1/2/18 11:10 a.m.

I was hoping to pull the P90A head from the other Datsun so I could start going through it but I’ve had zero motivation to go outside. It’s been stupid cold out and now we are expecting a snow storm later this week. To avoid working in the cold I dug out a spare 240z E88 cylinder head that I got from the red Datsun (from page 8) I’ve had kicking around to see if it might be usable. It turned out to be an early E88 head with the smaller combustion chambers and partial quench pad which is better then the later version. It looked usable if cleaned up but after thinking about what I’d need to do to make it work I ruled it out. First issue was the combustion chamber still had poor quench. I could have the head milled a lot but that would also reduce the combustion chamber volume bumping up compression way higher then I want. Other option would be welding up the quench pads then having it machined flat but I don’t trust my welding abilities that much. This head also has small valves and would need to be drilled and notched for the EFI intake manifold.





Since I ruled this head out I listed it for sale on a Datsun FB group and sold it for $250. I then used that money to buy another P90A head on ebay for $150 shipped. Saved myself spending a day working in 2 degree weather pulling the other head plus I made $100!


Pic of the P90A chamber for reference.


PseudoSport Dork
1/11/18 3:37 p.m.

Well the Ebay head turned out to be junk. Supposedly it came off a good running car but when i went to disassemble it I found a bent intake valve.


Well maybe new valves will fix that. Decided to keep going and found the exhaust valve seat on that same cylinder had been replaced. Then I noticed that they never cut it correctly and the opening was way smaller. 


Even worse it looks like when they installed the seat they had to weld up and reshape the chamber except they did a poor job. After cleaning it up you can really see how bad it is.


Oh and the top of the guide is cracked too.


I contacted the seller who is going to refund all my money. Guess I'll have to dig out the parts car and pull that head. 

PseudoSport Dork
1/12/18 4:34 p.m.

Plan B. It was finally above freezing so I went out last night with a flashlight to pull the head of the burnt Datsun. Pulled the valve cover and it looks pretty much race ready.....


Ignoring the burnt wood, rusty cam, and big mouse nest I grabbed my electric impact gun and pulled the head and everything else in one large chunk. In case you are wondering yes that is as heavy as it looks. 



Other then being disgusting it looks like it should be usable.




crankwalk Dork
1/12/18 5:45 p.m.

That is both disgusting and exciting.

1 ... 11 12 13
Our Preferred Partners