1 2
pizzaman1
pizzaman1 None
5/27/15 3:20 a.m.

Im looking for any information on my 72 scca pinto tube frame gt3 car built by Racer walsh of Florida, they are no longer in business ,raced in south east regions probably into the 90s,will get some pictures as soon as I.figure out how, any help is appreciated. PS Im also looking for any ford 2 lt. Or 2.3 racing parts, engine ,trans, intake, exhaust manifolds ,webers.or mikunis carbs,at this point I.dont have any drivetrain components at all, thanks for any help.BTW I bought from an ad in the forum .

jgrewe
jgrewe Reader
5/27/15 8:38 a.m.

Cool find. Double check the "tube frame" aspect of the car. The rules in GT3 use to say something about stock floor pan and fire wall and it isn't considered a tube frame. The reason that is important to the Pinto is they have a stock track that was wider than what GT3 rules allowed. A full tube frame Pinto means the track had to be narrowed to the rules, a "floor pan" car could keep the stock wider track.

Get with Brian Walsh, imsars@comcast.net He is dealing with vintage stuff from the old IMSA RS class that my RX2 ran. I also found all kinds of Racer Walsh stuff online, are you sure they shut down the shop?

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/27/15 9:20 a.m.

For 2.3 racing stuff check out local circle tracks for mini-stock classes. Racing junk also has 2.3 stuff occasionally. Was this the tube frame Pinto that was for sale in Atlanta recently? That looked like a very cool project.

If you email SCCA with the cage number they can give you some information on what region it was built/registered in and then contact that region's Executive. SCCA regions keep some pretty good records.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy SuperDork
5/27/15 9:27 a.m.

Racer Walsh...... its been 35 years........ my old Fox bodied Capri had quite a few RW hot bits in her... including a turbo boost level adjustment kit

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
5/27/15 10:01 a.m.

Is it the purple #93 car? There are several pics of it online. I found a Racer Walsh catalog online here: http://www.fordpinto.com/pdfs/RacerWalshCatalog73.pdf

pizzaman1
pizzaman1 New Reader
5/27/15 8:26 p.m.

Thanks guys,I already know more about the car than I knew yesterday,to me it looks like a full tube frame car with the only thing from a stock pinto is the roof and quarter sections sheet metal.yes this is the car from the Atlanta area I bought it from a nice guy whom was kind enough to keep for me till I was ready to transport it to ohio.I will keep you guys posted and post some pictures

pres589
pres589 UberDork
5/27/15 8:48 p.m.

They seem to still be open? https://www.facebook.com/pages/Racer-Walsh-Co/168482516497440

pizzaman1
pizzaman1 New Reader
5/28/15 9:17 p.m.

reply to pres589:

I tried calling them at 30 times since last December and never an answer.

pizzaman1
pizzaman1 New Reader
5/28/15 9:18 p.m.

Anybody can help with posting pics on here?

NGTD
NGTD UltraDork
5/29/15 9:13 a.m.
pizzaman1 wrote: Anybody can help with posting pics on here?
  1. Store them on a website like flikr, photobucket, etc. You can't post directly off pictures on your hard drive. Sign-up its easy.
  2. Copy the "Direct" link to the picture you want to post.
  3. See the little camera icon up there ^^ (only visible when writing or editing a post). Click on it and paste the link into the box.
  4. Close the box and picture will show up in your post.
pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/29/15 11:03 a.m.

On www.Flickr.com you can simply grab the html link and post it directly in without using the little camera button. Like this:

SNC00197
(That's two 1990 Honda Civic wheels next to one ZR1 wheel! It was sitting in my Flickr account.)

pizzaman1
pizzaman1 New Reader
5/29/15 12:56 p.m.

I'll try it,thanks

pizzaman1
pizzaman1 New Reader
6/3/15 5:29 a.m.

Can anyone suggest on the choice of motors 2.0 vs ,2.3 carbuterors vs f.I.? This could be a fun car with the right powerplant.

jgrewe
jgrewe Reader
6/3/15 9:30 a.m.

I guess the first place to start would be the rules you are having to deal with. See what the car has to weigh with each option, see if the car can get down to any of those weights with you in it.

Either engine is pretty much bullet proof.

hobiercr
6/3/15 9:33 a.m.

2.0L motors (pinto vintage) are getting very hard to find. The 2.3L with some work done to it, an aftermarket intake and Holley 500 can make over 300 hp. How much do you want to spend on the engine? Are you going to run vintage or do you want to take it SCCA racing in GT3/GTL? This is a key question as it really effects what you can and can't do.

RossD
RossD PowerDork
6/3/15 10:03 a.m.

If you have the 4 speed from the 2.0 pinto, it'll bolt up to a 2.0 liter Zetec.

pizzaman1
pizzaman1 New Reader
6/5/15 6:11 a.m.

My plan is to race in vintag,however I don't think I am suited for that type of racing if you know what I mean .have not been able to find much information on this car,I would like a power plant with about 270.hp or so and im trying to stay aroun $ 7-8 k for the engine my other dilemma is the trans as to whether I shoul find a racing unit or go.with a stock that has been worked up,I guess it'll be all matters of $ ,thanks for all your input guys.

hobiercr
6/5/15 10:06 a.m.

PM sent regarding engine stuff. On the tranny I would think a T-9 (Merkur) or a T-5 world class should work for the interim period. A dog cut quaife sierra 5 (or rocket 4) will cost you some serious $$ but they are great units. The are based on the Ford boxes so swapping from one to the other will be painless once the racing box is acquired. I found mine (Sierra 5) on Ebay many years ago in CA and had it shipped to Taylor Race Engineering in TX for inspection and a custom bellhousing adaptor.

pizzaman1
pizzaman1 New Reader
7/30/15 6:43 a.m.

I found out that my car was not built by jerry racer walsh after all ,I'm still trying to find the "father" of this car ,if I could figure out how to upload a few pictures it would make it easy to know a little more about it ,I'll have to try again .In the meantime if anyone has any knowledge of anyone racing pintos in gt3 I would appreciate it,I did find out that it was raced in the s.Carolina region by someone who signed the tech sheet with just Jay ,that's all I have so far.any help would be great.

jgrewe
jgrewe Reader
7/30/15 7:35 a.m.

Look for numbers stamped in the cage on the passenger side. Usually first digits are the region number, next ones tell where the car falls in history of the region. Find the region and contact them. Could look like "28 417" or something like that.

pizzaman1
pizzaman1 New Reader
8/5/15 7:08 a.m.

I found the # but I'm having problems contacting the person in charge of tech ,it seems they Are really limited in old record files ,all I know at this point is that it competed in s.carolina region and,it was put through tech by someone named Jay I believe in the late 90s ,I could use gt rule book from those years ,that would be great help.

RossD
RossD PowerDork
8/5/15 7:25 a.m.

In reply to pizzaman1:

If you'd like, email me the pictures at rkdiederich at yahoo dot com. I can post them for you.

The_Jed
The_Jed UberDork
8/5/15 7:55 a.m.

Esslinger Engineering may have some go fast bits that would suit your needs.

RossD
RossD PowerDork
8/5/15 8:18 a.m.

Pegasus Auto Racing has lots of 2.0 liter parts. I'd keep an eye on craigslist too.

pizzaman1
pizzaman1 New Reader
8/7/15 5:53 a.m.

In reply to Ross D powerdork .thanks I'll take you up on the offer I'll e mail you the pictures.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vVHm9wY9hq2aryKwGb9aCYCDziuNq4uhhgX5Z3RbHVKL3RYOM65lghXSe9MoeRZ7