Registered and awaiting approval as well

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
7/25/17 11:00 a.m.

Both accounts approved.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/25/17 11:10 a.m.

Thanks ECM! I've tested it out with a new $2017 Classified post and it works!

Is hotlinking the preferred posting method from Photoberkit?

EastCoastMojo
7/25/17 11:13 a.m.

In reply to Woody:

I am pretty sure hotlinking is the only method for posting images from Photoberkit, but I defer to Stampie's wisdom there.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UltraDork
7/25/17 11:22 a.m.
Keith Tanner wrote:
bigdaddylee82 wrote: Y'all motivated me to buy my own domain. I looked around at several options, I'm familiar with Wordpress, since we use that for a few external sites at work, but they're far from the best value. I wound up with Blue Host, after Keith's and another person I know's recommendation. ~$95 got me 50 Gib of space for 3 years, and free domain registration. Domain registration will be <$9 annually. After I got a domain, and some space, I installed Piwigo, more or less on a whim, it's one of about 4 different photo album style scripts Blue Host provides idiot proof installation for, to create your own "photobucket." So far it's working. I've managed to update all the images on Muffin's thread with correct links. My site
I played with Pwingo a bit before writing my own script. It's good gallery software, but seemed awkward for photo hosting for forums. It's really hard to get a direct URL out of it. Unless you found a plugin I didn't. I've been using my script for the fuzz pedal and amp threads I'm doing right now, and I wish I'd done it earlier! Photobucket isn't the first big image host to go down, and it won't be the last. Signing up with another hosting company will save you for a few years, but eventually it'll implode as well. The good news about the Photobucket disaster is that it's got people thinking like archivists, about how to ensure permanence of information. It's like a library having a fire - terrible loss of information, but lessons well learned.

Firefox, right click, "copy image location" which is how I've hotlinked 99% of random images all over the internet, that weren't in my own Photobucket account.

It is definitely a gallery first and foremost though. I've searched through all the plugins, I can find a handful for sharing to all social media usual suspects, but not any that make getting a url for forums any easier. There's a few that do just the opposite though, if you want to prevent, or at least slow down, folks from hotlinking from your Piwigo page.

I don't know the first thing about writing plugins, but I have noticed a few folks have created "skeletons" to start from to write your own Piwigo plugin.

For now, it does what I need it to, and is no more cumbersome really than Photobucket was, bulk uploading with Piwigo is easy, creating albums and sub-albums is simple, sorting is pretty straight forward, and there's even a few minor photo editing plugins, so you can at least rotate a picture and what not after it's uploaded.

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 UltraDork
7/26/17 11:24 a.m.

I'm sort of in TL/DR mode here, so I hope I did this right.

I submitted for an account too.

Thank you Stampie and ECM!

EastCoastMojo
7/26/17 11:27 a.m.

In reply to paranoid_android74:

Account approved

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/26/17 12:52 p.m.
EastCoastMojo wrote: In reply to Woody: I am pretty sure hotlinking is the only method for posting images from Photoberkit, but I defer to Stampie's wisdom there.

Sorry been busy lately but yes hotlink away.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/26/17 3:49 p.m.
bigdaddylee82 wrote:
Keith Tanner wrote:
bigdaddylee82 wrote: Y'all motivated me to buy my own domain. I looked around at several options, I'm familiar with Wordpress, since we use that for a few external sites at work, but they're far from the best value. I wound up with Blue Host, after Keith's and another person I know's recommendation. ~$95 got me 50 Gib of space for 3 years, and free domain registration. Domain registration will be <$9 annually. After I got a domain, and some space, I installed Piwigo, more or less on a whim, it's one of about 4 different photo album style scripts Blue Host provides idiot proof installation for, to create your own "photobucket." So far it's working. I've managed to update all the images on Muffin's thread with correct links. My site
I played with Pwingo a bit before writing my own script. It's good gallery software, but seemed awkward for photo hosting for forums. It's really hard to get a direct URL out of it. Unless you found a plugin I didn't. I've been using my script for the fuzz pedal and amp threads I'm doing right now, and I wish I'd done it earlier! Photobucket isn't the first big image host to go down, and it won't be the last. Signing up with another hosting company will save you for a few years, but eventually it'll implode as well. The good news about the Photobucket disaster is that it's got people thinking like archivists, about how to ensure permanence of information. It's like a library having a fire - terrible loss of information, but lessons well learned.
Firefox, right click, "copy image location" which is how I've hotlinked 99% of random images all over the internet, that weren't in my own Photobucket account. It is definitely a gallery first and foremost though. I've searched through all the plugins, I can find a handful for sharing to all social media usual suspects, but not any that make getting a url for forums any easier. There's a few that do just the opposite though, if you want to prevent, or at least slow down, folks from hotlinking from your Piwigo page. I don't know the first thing about writing plugins, but I have noticed a few folks have created "skeletons" to start from to write your own Piwigo plugin. For now, it does what I need it to, and is no more cumbersome really than Photobucket was, bulk uploading with Piwigo is easy, creating albums and sub-albums is simple, sorting is pretty straight forward, and there's even a few minor photo editing plugins, so you can at least rotate a picture and what not after it's uploaded.

I am familiar with the right-click For some reason, the instance of Pwingo I tried wasn't giving me the URL if I tried it. I forget what I got instead - a dynamic link or something. I've uninstalled it now so I can't check, and I was using Safari at the time. I'm glad it's working for you, it didn't meet my needs.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UltraDork
7/26/17 6:58 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner:

I don't know if this was your issue, but I've found that you've got to click in the middle of the picture to get the url for the picture. There's "invisible" buttons over the edges of the pictures, the right and left ~1/8 of the image is a link to go to the previous or next image, and the top ~1/4 of the image is a link to go back to thumbnails.

de80q
de80q Reader
8/20/17 6:26 p.m.

Registered, now just waiting on approval.

EastCoastMojo
8/20/17 6:29 p.m.

In reply to de80q:

Account approved.

de80q
de80q Reader
8/20/17 6:30 p.m.

Thank you!

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/21/17 11:24 a.m.
solfly wrote: I've been using their $2.99 a month plan for some time now and my hotlinks still work.

You are grandfathered in. Give it a year and that goes away too

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon PowerDork
8/27/17 9:34 a.m.

Is there an easy smartphone app for image hosting? I downloaded the Flickr app, but none of the share links seem to work with the forum.

Erich
Erich UltraDork
9/12/17 7:15 a.m.

Zechar here, awaiting berkit approval please!

EastCoastMojo
9/12/17 7:19 a.m.

In reply to Erich :

Account approved yes

1 ... 7 8 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0wJtOjIlP1b4SnAXQF0NxCi9TDnmScAnzufZrpPHeib7MrrHZHSiTYRXFVMNXRpb